All reviews northern lights room facing glacier lagoon waffle maker buffet style limited menu lava fields remote location large windows bathroom floor lamb ring road bread beds were very comfortable ice cave tour wings after a long day
Reviewed 26 June 2018

Hotel Nupar is out in open country. Therefore, the view from the patio's is expansive.The rooms were very spacious, clean and well appointed. Breakfast was superb and handled a lot of people well given the number of bus tour people present.

There were three things that caused me to give it a 4 star rating. Cost, no hot tub, and effectively no internet. The night before we stayed at Hotel Laekur near Hella for $100 per room less and Laekur had a hotel and sauna. Laekur was out in the country side as well but had excellent internet/wifi. The Nupar had wifi, in fact had wifi routers up and down the hallway. But the connection did not work at all, with the front desk apologizing. Fortunately, we were not dependent on having a connection that evening. The claimed internet connection bordered on false advertising.

Even though we booked months in advance (we had 3 rooms) it was difficult finding good accomodation in the southeast portion of Iceland, and prices in the area were definitely higher.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
hannahelgudottir, Front Office Manager at Fosshotel Nupar, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Dear Randy,

Thank you for your review.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Unfortunately we are located in an area without a geothermal water supply and where fiber internet has not been installed yet.
Due to this we do not have hot tubs and we can unfortunately not offer high speed internet yet. It is simply not an option until the lines have been installed - which is due to be this year. This explains why other places that may also be located in an isolated spot have better internet connection that we do. I hope that it did not take away from your stay too much.

I am happy that you enjoyed the rooms and that they were accommodating and it is great that you had a pleasant breakfast.
It is always good to start the day well before a long day of exploring Iceland.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

On our road trip of Iceland, my son and I decided on this hotel based on reviews and remoteness. It was also (somewhat) along the route we were taking around the country. It sure did not disappoint.
While the outside looks like storage containers, When you walk in, it’s a modern upgraded interior. Very clean and spacious.
I was pleasantly surprised.
Staff was very friendly, and even though we arrived late (about maybe 10:30 pm) the hotel was still hopping with guests. We were told WiFi is very spotty, when we checked in, and given the location, understandable. We rented a pocket WiFi for our trip, so we just used that. (I would suggest that to anyone visiting and doing a road trip, it’s fantastic)
The room had a great view of mountains.
The room was also a bit on the smaller side, but we really didn’t need anything big for just the one night. It also was relatively quiet, which surprised me. Normally you can hear doors slamming all night and people talking. Nope, not this time!
Bed was comfy, but could have used more pillows.
Breakfast was very good and had a great variety (buffet style). The dining area is also very large so people aren’t “sitting on top of each other”. Check out was easy, and again staff was friendly.
It was a perfect stop on our road trip around the island. I would definitely stay here again if I went back (which I hope to one day)

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank MelissaS2

Dear MelissaS2,

Thank you for the time taken to write a review.
I am delighted to hear that you had such a great stay with us - thank you for your kind comments.
It is great that you found your whole experience accommodating and I am positive that the staff will be happy to hear that they made you feel welcome.

We certainly hope to welcome you back again.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

Our room was about 1/10 km from the front desk. Needless to say I got in all of my steps. There are NO amenities near the hotel. Bring everything you need. We stopped for provisions at the town 24 kms before Nupar. Otherwise you eat at the hote meaning 4000kr-8000kr ($36-72) per person for burgers and fries etc.
the hotel has two looooooong wings. Do not get an end room. You will be walking.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
hannahelgudottir, Front Office Manager at Fosshotel Nupar, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.
Our hotel is indeed quite long, I am however happy that you did let that take away from your stay and enjoyed your stay.

We hope to see you back again.
Kind regards,
Hanna

Reviewed 18 June 2018

I stayed at the Fosshotel Nupar last night. I'm shocked to see the number of negative reviews on here. This is a stunning modern hotel with a very good restaurant, and clean, comfortable quiet rooms. I usually don't think much about beds, but this bed was extremely comfortable. There are great views of the surrounding mountains and green mesas. The one big issue was that the Internet was poor -- they need to improve that. Still, I liked the hotel enough to give it 5 stars, which I'm willing to do give that this hotel is relatively off the beaten track. Service was also friendly.

1  Thank EricSonnenschein
hannahelgudottir, Front Office Manager at Fosshotel Nupar, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2018

Dear Erin Sonnenschein,

Thank you for your kind review.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us - it means so much so all of the staff here at Núpar.
It is great that you had a good nights rest, that is always important before another long day of exploring Iceland.

We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 17 June 2018

We booked this hotel almost 6 months ahead as an alternative to the Glacier Lagoon which was already sold out in our price range. I must admit it was the one hotel of 8 that we stayed in that I was expecting to like the least, given some of the recent reviews.

However it was the complete opposite. We arrived late and were fortunate to get upgraded to a superior room. Maybe this was because we had paid for a standard triple room which we didnt actually need, I don't know. The superior rooms seem to be the newer rooms.

We loved the remoteness of the hotel and the view from our room, like nothing else we have ever experienced The staff were very friendly seasonal staff as in the other Foss hotels we visited. We were prepared for wifi issues (this being a remote location) but had no problem getting some wifi in communal areas.

We had to drag ourselves away the following day so I would certainly recommend staying here but book a superior room if your budget allows.

Room Tip: Get a superior room!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time taken to write a review.
It is a pleasure to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us - thank you so much for your kind words.
The location is quite unique but also can be spectacular, it is great that you enjoyed it.

On behalf of all of us at Núpar we hope to see you back again soon.