Reviews (1 198)
1 198 results
All reviews view restaurant adult pool falls pool family pool lookout mountain golf course pointe hilton main building main pool large pool relaxing stay great property business conference spring break living room family vacation bit dated
34 - 39 of 1 198 reviews
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Our Hotel room caught fire... - Or "The most effective hotel alarm I have ever experienced"

Hilton Resorts – Phoenix AZ – Oct 12th apx 8am

It started out much like any other morning waking up to the sound of SWAT team kicking in the door and at the same time someone dropping about 50 pounds of ice on the tile floor. It was then I realized this was all a dream….. or was it?

Waking from my dreams I realized that perhaps I was not imagining this at all. Something had woken me from a sound sleep but what?

My mind racing, I did not see anyone entering the hotel room, but I could hear a loud popping and cracking noise. About that time my wife yelled “The electrical panel is on fire”. What?? “The electricalpanel is on fire” she repeated in much more concerned reality check voice.

Sure enough looking down the hallway blocking our exit out the front door you could see Flames coming out of the control panel the power now energized by the fire!

Did I happen to mention we are on the second floor and the rear patio door is locked?

Still hungover in a sleep State, (it’s hard to imagine or even comprehend how quickly you wake up in these circumstances when the reality of a fire slaps you in the face) my brain was trying toprocess the sound of the crackling noise that had followed the loud popping we heard.

What my brain had percieved earlier as someone kicking in the door was the sound of electrical panel door being blown open by the electrical short that was also the source of the crackling noise and smoke/fire.

Fortunately, before the fire could spread the main distribution panel that fed our building must have tripped or this may have been a different story altogether.

I leaped out of bed, headed outside and pulled the fire panel to alert the rest of the hotel. Out of sheer luck the panel was just outside the door and I had noticed it when we entered the room earlier that day.

On a side note it’s wise to look for these in case you need them. It’s hard to think clearly when you are wakened from a dead sleep and have the presence of mind to find one and activate it, much less to waste valuable time searching for one.

The resort sits on 75 acres with each “complex” having 8 rooms per building, these face out to the mountains for spectacular views or face inward to the pools (80 complexes in all).

While I was outside pulling the alarm my wife grabbed the phone in our room and called the resort operator to let her know the electrical panel was on fire. Fortunately the phone is an older POTS type set and does not need power from the room (which is dark now and without power)

Standing outside having just pulled the alarm its then that I realize it may be wise to sleep in pajamas in the future ;) unfortunately after I pulled the alarm panel the door shut behind me. I now realize I am locked outside and have set off near deafening alarms throughout the resort.

So let me paint a picture here, I am outside pounding on the door to get back in to check on the wife, grab our luggage, assess the situation, etc.. Now a funny thing about the alarms, they tend to wake people and people tend to vacate rooms when they are awaken by fire alarms.

Dazed and confused the resort guest emptied their cozy beds and emptied out into the grounds and walkways like bunch of elementary school kids practicing a fire drill.

Looking at me rather odd the crowd focuses their attention in my direction as I run from the front door (where pounding on it HARD in attempt to get the wife to open the door and let me back in proves pointless), to the rear patio area yelling out her name in some vain attempt to get her attention. Back and forth I go like what must appear to others a cray man. Pounding on the steel door so hard it flexs about 2 inches to running to the back patio area hoping she has made it at least to that area to at least escape the fumes, etc..

Is she still alive? Or is this some cruel payback leaving me outside half dressed while the crowd looks on dazed and confused as to my intent. You have to realize at this point no one other than us and the hotel operator know what is going on, the resort guest just see a half dressed man pounding on a door harder and harder screaming out his wife’s name getting every more concerned that the door will not open.

I later discover that the wife is getting dressed (yes in a time of crisis and panic her number one though is getting dressed to present herself in a decent manner)

I guess on her epitaph it will read “Died in a hotel fire, but well dressed with matching blouse, pants suit and shoes”

I asked her later why she didn’t open the door, she replied “ I could not hear the pounding over the alarm and I was getting dressed”

Didn’t hear me pounding on the door? I find this staggeringly hard to believe as I was striking the steel door with my fist so hard that it was literally flexing about 2 inches. I was just about to kick it in when she opened the door. “Jesus” I said, why didn’t you open the door. I have been pounding on it for the last 2 minutes thinking you had succumbed to the fumes and I was about to kick the door off the hinges!

Needless to say I am “the talk of the town” and would not be surprised to see myself on YouTube soon! It’s Funny looking back at what they must have been thinking when ll this was happening, not so funny in the moment however.

It was at this point security came up as they had been alerted by either me trying to kick the door in, or by the phone call to the resort operator. Finally, someone was there to help. All of thisoccurred in less than 3 minutes.

By now I had grabbed the suitcases put them out on the patio overlooking the beautiful mountain view. The logic was if the fire spread anywhere outside would be safe, the bedroom where the luggagewas is about 5 foot from the rear patio so that was where I headed. Did I happen to mention we were on the second floor?

Now we had to pass the panel each time we went from the bedroom to the front door, this was an adrenalin dump each pass. Security then was met with me (luggage in hand) leaving the room and othermembers of the resort coming up the stairs.

We filled in the staff on what we heard, the time line, etc.. and they followed whatever protocol they had in place. We never did see a fire truck so not sure what good the alarm was other than to alert guest? The head of security was first into the room, he requested over the radio that the fire department be called, again some 2 hours later I have yet to seen them.

Fortunately, by the time Security and staff got there I was able to get fully dressed.

Dave, the head of security had them give us an upgraded suite, free food vouchers to the restaurant and even mentioned that they would have the front desk “help us out with a discount”. We have yet to be contacted by the hotel management. Dave has done more for Public Relations than the hotel management by far, perhaps they need to move him into this position.

Take away from this? –

Sleep in Pajamas !

Know where the emergency fire alarm panels are located and how to activate them.

Remain Calm and either take a key or position something in the door so you can gain re-entry if you leave the room

Always be nice to anyone that has access to your toothbrush!

In all seriousness it wasn’t that bad, the worse part was being woke up with the possibility your room is on fire and trying to figure out the order in which things need to happen (i.e. alert resort staff and guest, recover items you want to preserve if safe to do so, etc..

I will say this is the most bizarre way I have ever received notoriety and a room upgrade at the same time!

When we walk around the resort now you can hear people whisper and point “that’s that guy this morning” or when interacting with the resort staff “Aren’t’ you the guy” or “Aren’t’ you the couple”,etc…

This is why I love to travel, the adventure, the stories you get to share later with Friends, etc.. What an adventure…

Update, needless to say we left the room in a hurry and now I can’t my wallet. I called the resort operator and they sent someone to check the room. About 15 minutes later Dave (remember him?) showed up with the wallet, some water and again his apology. I can’t say enough about his attitude and willingness to go the extra mile in this situation.

We along with others in this section of the resort were offered a $50 credit to be used “at any of the outlets”. Not quite sure what they define as outlets but it’s a gesture of god faith in what could have been a PR nightmare for the resort.

We were just informed apparently others in the same complex last night (us included) had only hot water in the room and no cold water. So a $50 credit was given to everyone.

Reason for 2 star review?

Dated needs upgrades.
Lack of management concern.

As of this review no one from management has contacted us to see if we were/are ok, need anything or to offer an apology. I guess we are not a corporation and are considered a "one and done" guest.

We are in fact Hilton Honors members and quite shocked (almost literally) at the lack of concern. I guess the motto here is outdated like some areas of the 30+ year old property "We make it right"

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank whoiseverfree
RonSimon, General Manager at Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

I truly realize you were frightened and quite alarmed by this event as it woke you from a sound sleep. First, let me correct you in that there was no fire. What you observed were sparks from the wires inside the fuse box arching, which tripped the breakers causing the power to shut off. The fuse box did exactly what it is designed to do; that is shut down power to prevent fire. Our Security Team responded within minutes and observed what had happened. After observing the fuse box, emergency services were cancelled because of no fire and no injuries. I see from your review, and after speaking with my Front Office Management and Security Management, you were offered apologies on several occasions as well as offered compensation without question from several of our outlets after hearing of your experience. Any other guests disturbed by this incident also received compensation per our operational procedures here at the resort. I sincerely hope you have recovered from the scare you incurred and I am sorry to hear this was your experience.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

The Point in Thyme bar staff is very rude and unaccommodating. I went there for breakfast on Sunday and the buffet was very picked over and not refilled. The cook assigned to the omelet station was no where to be found. We went to the Point in Thyme bar again on Tuesday night and the bar staff and manager was very rude. They ended up kicking us out and arguing with our very large group. They threatened to call the police on us if we didn't leave and it was only 11:30pm. Our large group spent a lot of money at this resort and we did not receive any value for what we spent. My room's carpet was soaked and never taken care of. My showerhead did not function and it was never taken care of after repeated calls. This property is very outdated. Don't dine or drink on property!!

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your stay while here for your group function. With regard to the carpet and showerhead, I apologize for the lack of follow through to either move you to another suite or fix these things for you. After inquiring about your experience at our Pointe In Tyme lounge, it was reported to me that due to the intoxication of those in your party, we cut off service and ultimately had to have our Security team involved. This was an unfortunate development, however, we followed appropriate guidelines when people have had too much to drink. I hope you can understand our responsibility in this regard.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We have used this hotel for our Staycation spot for years. Its a great property built into the hillside and a nice pool area. The staff is great and the rooms are nice. We also stayed here for our honeymoon weekend and were treated wonderful.

Room Tip: Many rooms are in hills so be mindful of the walk. Shuttle is free, just tip them.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for choosing Tapatio Cliffs for your Staycations and honeymoon weekend. We value your business and hope to serve you again for years to come.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Beautiful, clean, and quiet resort that’s tucked away into the hills. The staff made sure I was enjoying my stay with text messages making me aware of what they have to offer. The property is vast including a water park, and a golf course ( with rental clubs available!) several restaurants are on site and pools and whirlpools sprinkled about the village so you’re never far from relaxing. They have a stocked mini bar en suite, with beautiful views from every balcony.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and sharing this stay with us and other travelers. It is wonderful to hear that you had a good time and that our staff helped to make it more enjoyable. Come back again.

Reviewed 11 October 2018

For a high end resort, I really was not impressed. The room they checked us into was old and dingy and most of the blinds were broken just kind of hanging there. I called to report this to management and they just said "ok" and made no offer to fix them. The parking is odd and when I went to my car in the morning it was covered in dirt splatter from the water that was pouring off of the roof. The lighting in the hallways was pretty much non-existent and really not safe. I would not stay here again though the room service food I must say was excellent.

Room Tip: Stay to the front of the property, the place is a maze and hard to navigate.
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple

I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your suite and overall stay. I do apologize for the broken blinds and lack of lighting in the hallways. With regard to the broken blinds, our staff would have taken your information and had it entered into our maintenance system to schedule a work order. If your travels bring you back to Phoenix, we hope to have another opportunity to provide you with a better experience.