“Wonderful Italian Restaurant”

Il Gabbiano
Price range: US$35 - US$60
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: It is an Italian restaurant with Mediterranean approach. Pasta, meat and fish. Classic Italian cuisine with innovations and products of the region. Elegant rustic atmosphere.
Reviewed 10 February 2018

We happened upon this restaurant without reservations but they accommodated us. The service was excellent, the staff friendly and knowledgeable. The food was great and the portions good. I had the Ossobuco but couldn't finish it - my husband helped me. My husband had the beef tortelli and enjoyed it. We would definitely return.

Reviewed 20 December 2017 via mobile

But this place disappointed me to an extreme.

Let me start by saying our waiter was insanely helpful. He spoke perfect English, and helped us, 2 vegans, navigate a menu that wasn't the most vegan friendly.

He was polite and funny and did not make us feel like a bother the way some other restaurants in Bariloche had.

Let me just say that had the portion sizes been larger and the prices reasonable, we may have eaten only here the rest of our stay. The food was exceptional.

The tomato soup was epic, my boyfriend couldn't have asked for a tastier sauce and fresh pasta.

Needless to say we left starving with empty pockets.

The soup bowl was hilarious. I'm sure there are other travelers pictures, and at 15 USD, we were confused to say the least.

My greek salad, no feta, was a cute portion of tomatoes onions and olives, no lettuce. His pasta would not have been large enough even if he ordered it off the. Children's menu.

All for 1300 Pesos, or 74 USD. 2 waters, 2 soups, a baby salad, and baby pasta dish, for 75 dollars.

To be fare, they did serve 3 different kinds of flavorless cracker....sticks... and when I say 3 different kinds I mean 3 different shapes, that tasted exactly the same.

Anyway. There are some other options in Bariloche I suggest you try. You can hop around Bariloche and relive our dining experience, plus still having money for desert and a movie.

1. Girulia has even better tomato soup, more than double the portion, less than half the price.
2. Familia de Caso has a salad bar for only 5 dollars where you can make the exact salad I had, only size enough to fill you, with (hold on to your seat) LETTUCE.
3. If you want fresh pasta, try La Fonda del Tio.

Also, everywhere in Bariloche pretty mu h serves a decent salad. So yeah. Sorry il Gabbiano, we won't return, neither should anyone... rip off.

2  Thank Jesseatsplants
Reviewed 16 December 2017 via mobile

....but the best meal we’ve had in Argentina. Hands down.

Everything about Il Gabbiano is perfect. From the manicured garden, to the wonderful ambiance of the cozy restaurant, these guys have nailed the perfect dining experience.

Sure, it’s expensive by Argentian standards but it’s worth every single cent.

Let’s start with the perfect service: Spanish, English (and even some French) were all easily accommodated. Our waiter was friendly, charming, engaging, knowledgeable and enthusiastic about our experience.

Let’s talk food.

We ended up going the whole three courses and didn’t regret it.

It started with delicious homemade bruschetta with various toppings (our complimentary amuse bouche). The accompanying breadsticks and breads were flavoursome and had great texture.

For entrees/starters we had a mind blowing tomato soup, and a cold avocado/prawn salad. Both were incredible.

Our mains were the fish of the day and a seafood ravioli...oh man were they good!

Then we finished off with phenomenal tiramisu and proper ristretto coffee.

All of our plates came out fast, fresh and beautifully presented.

And before leaving we booked in again for tomorrow night!

These guys have perfected fine food and service.

Reviewed 14 December 2017 via mobile

Unfortunately I have to give 2/5 stars. The food itself was delicious and the service was amazing, however, you will be leaving hungry with an unjust small fortune taken from you. We ordered (2) soups (1 each) to start and for our entrees my g/f ordered a salad and I ordered spaghetti with tomato sauce. The soups were excellent tasting but couldn’t have been more than 4 fluid ounces for $230 pesos. Same thing with the entrees, my girlfriend’s salad (excellent tasting) had no lettuce and weighed maybe 6 ounces. My spaghetti was the amount an 8 year old would eat and I left starving. The waiter was excellent and spoke both English and Spanish and was very helpful. All of the food was great, however, for the amount of food we got for just under $1300 pesos and a 35 minute drive out of town I must say I recommend you go elsewhere. If every serving of everything we ordered was doubled we would have still left slightly hungry and it would be at a price of $2500 pesos for soup, salad, and spaghetti.

The choice is yours.

Reviewed 20 November 2017 via mobile

What an exquisite experience! The owner and chef were very involved in the food and you can tell it. Just like being in Italy, if not better. I feel as if the Italian saying, "Vedi Napoli e poi muori" would be just as accurate as "Vedi Il Gabbiano e poi muori". If you ever have the chance to dine here, don't ever pass it up.