“Excellent little bar with inventive and tasty tapas”

Cafe San Juan la Cantina
Ranked #99 of 6 409 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: San Telmo
Reviewed 14 March 2018

We ate in the bar area of this place which is also a restaurant as we just wanted to try the tapas. I'm very glad we made effort to go a little off the obvious tourist streets of San Telmo on a busy Sunday as it was well worth the effort. The staff were very helpful and friendly, despite our lack of Spanish and the tapas were excellent. The quality and variety was excellent, Ive not had these combinations of tapas before and loved it. Drinks were also very good, I recommend the Aperol Spritz. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 28 February 2018 via mobile

I came here after reading reviews. My first few hours in Buenos Aires and the first meal I had was remarkable at this restaurant. So, I came around 3 pm, and only few tables occupied. I was greeted and seated immediately, and to my surprise, the wait staff English was excellent and I was given an English menu.

I ordered veal carpaccio and pork belly as my main entre. Both were delicious. Food was delivered promptly, without too long of a wait. carpaccio was one of the best I’ve ever had. The arugula, cheese and the dressing complement each ingredients well. The complimentary appetizer of beans in chimmicurri sauce was excellent. I didn’t touch the bread since I’m in low carb diet.

I was trying to return for another lunch 2 days after during my visit to San Telmo Féria, but was distracted and ate somewhere else, which wasn’t so good. I wish I could have come back at this restaurant instead.

Reviewed 9 February 2018

The food here is excellent and the staff is very warm and friendly. We ate here several times and it was consistently good

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 6 February 2018 via mobile

Visited here for dinner and arrived as place was opening at 8. Being british we dont get this eacting at 10pm! Anyway the restaturant had interesting craft beers, a good wine list, and a great aperl sproitz to start the evening

The starter was a soft rabbit terrine which was wonderfully textured probably with mushrooms, and the main courses were a well presented belly of pork, amd the fish of the day - mero which we think was grouper, a whole one.

Friendly service and a good evening was had .

Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed the choice of entrees and appetizers. The entrance to the restaurant is a small tapas bar off the street, separately owned, I’m assuming, which was a bit peculiar, with loud music playing and a young crowd. Couldn’t get a vodka cocktail, so we waited for the restaurant to open at 8pm for dinner. Had a nice wine, some good cocktails and excellent pasta dishes. I had the whole fish-served in a roasting pan-don’t touch!! Prices were reasonable and service was great. We’d definitely go again!