“Best deal set menu lunch in Buenos Aires”
Review of 788 Food Bar

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
788 Food Bar
Ranked #3 582 of 6 357 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Cuisines: Spanish
Neighbourhood: Recoleta
Description: I ate there last week. It's been around a while I think (found it using a lonely planet guide).
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We come quite regularly to this place which has probably the best deal for a set menu lunch. You can usually choose meat, fish or a vegetarian main course. It also included a dessert and a soft drink. Service is friendly and quick.

1  Thank Petraga

Reviewed 18 July 2013

I'll open by saying that I dined in this restaurant about 5 years ago and loved it. I'd not been back because my rental apartments have been in other zones, but this year I am right around the corner so I quickly made a reservation to return to what had been a memorable spot. Time has not been gentle. I expect that I should have been forewarned when we arrived at 1030 and were the only customers. There are no longer any daily specials, only the standing menu. My friend ordered the Gambas al ajillo (a 70 peso appetizer)... knowing that seafood is not a strength in this town ... but the waitress assured him it was one of their most popular items ... egad it was dreadful ... salty brown "sauce" the consistency of consommé and afloat with what might have been either dried herbs or chopped dried garlic, with four little pieces of what I can only term mystery meat. I had an adequate ceasar salad. For entrees, I opted for the pichos mixtos (a skewer consisting of 4 chunks of chicken and 2 hunks of dreadfully overcooked beef along with some slices of red pepper and onions) while my friend selected a milanesa ... the steak was so tough it was almost inedible. There's a lengthy wine list, but our first 2 selections (both malbecs) were not available. Here's a hint: for about the same money, you can go around the corner to Teatriz and have a truly lovely dinner. This place is dying and you don't need to be part of the mourning party.

1  Thank paulwoe
Reviewed 2 June 2012

I came here having really high expectations. I had heard great things about the food. The food was decent (I had the lomo sandwich), but my sandwich was smothered in mustard so it was the only thing I tasted. Good, but didn't live up to my expectations.

Reviewed 3 February 2012

According to Lonely Planet’s “Buenos Aires Encounter,” this place is supposed to be great. Well, unfortunately, it’s not. In fact, everything about it is less than ideal.

The first problem wasn’t the food; it was the washroom, up a long flight of metal stairs with open risers. There was an overhead light in the centre section where two washbowls were situated, but in the area where the toilets are, it was pitch black. I looked on every surface and couldn’t find a single light switch. There was no one up there to ask, so rather than walk back down that long, rather intimidating stairway and then back up again, I just used the facilities in the dark. To wash your hands, you step up onto a slatted wooden platform. That’s fine, but if you happen to step near the edge of the platform, the back end starts to tilt upward. Interesting experience.

Then, the food was the next challenge. Breads of various types were brought to the table in an old, chipped, orange-painted tin. I guess it is supposed to look trendy, but in fact it looked rather unsanitary. I tried one breadstick; it wasn’t at all crisp; in fact, it was soggy and stale.

J and I both ordered the “Menu Light” at a cost of $34 (pesos) each, or about $8 U.S. This included the unfortunate bread “basket,” a soft drink or bottled water, the quiche of the day – mushroom today, and salad.

We had sparkling water, so there’s not much to comment on there. The quiche – a large serving – was full of tasty mushrooms and a lot of cheese, as well as the usual egg base. The salad, which was a disaster, consisted of iceberg lettuce, much of it limp and with brown edges (no, it was not the balsamic vinegar making it brown), and a few tomato wedges.

The service, by the way, was perfunctory.

It’s true that the meal was very inexpensive and that the quiche was OK. But overall, I’d rather pay a little more and have something much more appealing and tasty.

Reviewed 5 December 2011

The lunch menu ejecutivo (main + non-alcoholic beverage + dessert + coffee) was an outstanding value for the food we were served. The fish was great, pasta nice, salad plentiful & dessert (pears in wine) very good. Our server spoke a smattering of english & was very pleasant.

2  Thank ostrich_v