“Mooi Mont Marie ”

Mont Marie Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 286 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: In the lap of casual luxury, Mont Marie offers a unique food, wine and family experience in a spectacular country setting in the heart of the Blaauwklippen Valley. Using only the freshest ingredients, Chef Pieter Vlok adds authentic flavours to a variety of mouth-watering dishes, full of South African personality.
Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

Once apon a time in a land far, far away.... okay I am over reacting, Stellenbosch is not that far, us Cape Townians are just spoiled, because we don't have to travel too far to have a wonderful time. Do even Though the drive was about an hour from the Southern Suburbs, my wonderful partner, let's me know at about 11am that he needs to watch an important game at 12 lunch time and I had made a booking for 1 pm. Needless to say that because of that, we were only able to get to the restaurant just after 3pm! Obviously I let them know, I am not that awful, but I felt so bad, because they had kept the kitchen open for us, even though it closes at 3 for lunch (so that they can start prepping for supper). Yet, they kept it open for us. Customer service at its finest and it's not like they had to, because this place was vibrant, with tables filled with families enjoying the view of the mountains, with children playing on the cool jungle gym and chasing ducks into the dam right in front of us. Picture perfect and yet also intimate for couples wanting to enjoy a day out. They also do wine tasting and the owner gets involved in the kitchen as well. It helps to have an owner who is also an epic chef. Yet, he is so humble and sends our foodie compliments to his staff, who he says are the ones who make his meal offerings come to life. From starters El desserts, we savoured them all. I had the creamy cauliflower soup, which tasted like more and more, however, I couldn't be a glutton and ask for more, because I knew j had a line fish mains to get through as well and I am glad I resisted the urge, because even though I am not much of a line fish lover, this one was done to perfection and the seafood risotto that accompanied the fish was heaven! I also tried my first ever coffee souffle, which was yummy too.

I loved our time at Mont Marie. I call places like this, the secret garden, because I had to search to find you and I am glad I did. Easy to google map though!!!

1  Thank Tamsyn B

Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

I love this place. The view, food and staff are the best I could ask for in the world. Thank you Mont Marie see you again.

2  Thank Riaan8686
Reviewed 1 September 2017

We discovered this place by accident, but the full car park was a good indicator. They have a range of food options (including great light lunch options) and all are very reasonably priced. The surrounds are beautiful and the service was fast and efficient.

3  Thank drnlm
Reviewed 30 August 2017

Mont Marie was recommended by friends, however we were disappointed! Pork belly was bland not much flavor. Tagliatta was also not great. Burger was good as was the creme brulle. Malta pudding also not great. Service okay. Overall bland, boring far better restaurants out there!

Reviewed 15 August 2017

We live in the UK and were visiting family under very sad circumstances. We stumbled upon this restaurant having been turned away by another, more popular one up the road. It was amazing! Carmen, the manager, optimises everything hospitality.

They were fully booked but within 10 minutes, she arranged a table - and moved us when another table became available. She honestly made us feel like we were in her home. We went back for breakfast about a week later and didn't realise we had missed the time slot - worry not, Carmen organised a table, offered us complimentary bubbles, chatted to us but most importantly, remembered us! Somewhat of a rarity these days!

As for the food, both my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the food on both of our visits. We were there in April and cannot wait to visit again - a truly wonderful experience with the most spectacular views, service and food!! Go ....

2  Thank sunfilledtraveller