“julie's birthday party”
Review of Jonkershuis

Jonkershuis
Ranked #137 of 278 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Reviewed 27 April 2017

9 adults & 4 children on easter monday. upon arrival the place was packed solid i therefore expected poor service & average food. just the opposite the service was excellent & the food was great. the views were magnificent & the kids enjoyed themselves playing in the grounds. so all in all a very successful & enjoyable day, we will certainly be returning. oh & the kids loved the foot long hot dogs & ice cream cones for pudding

Reviewed 23 March 2017

Jonkershuis, located on the Groot Constantia Estate, Cape Town South Africa have three different seating locations. You can either be seated outside overlooking the vineyards; this was a beautiful view. The day I visited it was a bit windy and moved inside. They also have a beautiful courtyard with people talking and enjoying their breakfast.

The atmosphere throughout the entire restaurant was very relaxed, that with their vintage décor added some nostalgia to the experience, taking me back to a time when I was just a young girl, having a Sunday dinner at my grandparent's house. Their staff throughout the service was very professional and friendly.

I enjoyed their coffee, accompanied with a rusk. The menu had a few good breakfast options, but I decided to ask the chef for his recommendation. My breakfast arrived, poached eggs on a toasted sourdough bread with bacon and a fried tomato. As I cut into the eggs, it was over cooked, and the waiter noticed it as well. Personally, I think the over cooked eggs should never have left the kitchen, but I guess even the best of chefs sometimes have an off day. They did replace it quickly and the second time around the eggs was cook perfectly.

As I received the bill, I did notice that they removed the coffee from the bill, as a gesture to make up for breakfast. I appreciated it but did not feel right to have it for free as I was there to review the restaurant.

My overall experience of the place was good, and with a few friends it makes for a great atmosphere, but I am not sure if I would go as far as to say I would make this my weekly breakfast spot.

Reviewed 31 December 2016

Jonkershuis is quite rightly a tourist trap but the food and service is far from anything we would want our valued tourist to experiance.
We had a family luncheon there & it was not a venue I would recommend or want to visit again. Most of our varied meals were overcooked, especially the 5 x tasteless and soggy beer battered hake, 2x hamburger deluxe & a very dry sauce lessoverdone pasta. So sad that a venue which has the benefit of so many tourist should serve, unabashed, such shocking food........or because????
I will continue to take my overseas guests there but NOT to eat

Reviewed 2 December 2016 via mobile

We were in the middle of the restaurant, which is well decorated. Food was good, service fast and good. If you are looking for a nice, not to pricy dinner this is a good place to go!

Reviewed 18 October 2016

A popular restaurant in a delightful winery. Excellent food served beautifully by a delightful waitress Dayle Glass.