“Really great food, really slow service”

Blacksmith's Kitchen
Ranked #8 of 112 Restaurants in Paarl
Cuisines: Pizza, Grill
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Blacksmith's Kitchen is a cosy estate restaurant, secretted away in the historic blacksmith's cottages on Pearl Mountain. Constructed in 1747, these two buildings predate the Manor House by some 70 years, and great effort has been take to preserve their original character. Indoor and outside seating are available, offering spectacular views of the Paarl Valley below. Executive Chef Douglas Adams’s menu is a fusion of classic Mediterranean and local influences, and all effort is taken to use the best locally-sourced fresh produce - including from the Pearl Mountain vegetable garden. Both of the Pearl Mountain wine ranges are also available from the wine list, or from the cellar door.
Reviewed 9 December 2018

On a family visit my rare steak was medium to well done and we had to summon the waiter several times to get a response. Quite probably the steak was sitting waiting to be brought to my table so long that the heat ended up browning it all the way through the slice of meat. However on a work visit my steak was really rare, just the way I asked for it. And in a party of over 30 people the service was good. So they can get it right. One would possibly buy more wine if they spent less time pushing the wine sales and more time looking after the patron's culinary experience. By the time our 2.5 hour family dinner was over I was just too distracted to consider buying wine. The staff would probably have kept us waiting to make up the wine order.

Date of visit: December 2018
BSK84, General Manager at Blacksmith's Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Hi vramaarnet

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant.
I am sorry that your most recent experience at our restaurant was not up the standards we aim for. I would appreciate it if you could give me further details on your visit so that I know how best to address the mistakes we made. luke[at]pearlmountain.co.za

Kind regards

Luke Retief

Reviewed 8 December 2018 via mobile

Recently we ate with a large group on a busy Friday Evening and although Service was spot on the Food we had was not brilliant and sadly one of the dishes four of us ordered being the “ Pork Belly Ribs “ were not great.

Firstly it was NOT Pork Belly but Basic Pork Spare Ribs and although tender we’re extremely fatty and on arrival some were hot and others were Luke warm or cold.

On saying this the Waiter rectified the situation immediately and over all the Love & Warmth I was expecting did not come across in any off the dishes and presentation was lacking on all dishes.

A Complimentary Cheeseboard was offered and it was nice to see that Customer Service & Skills were in place ...

It was a shame as I was looking forward to a great meal after reading a great menu but sadly it lacked lustre ......

Date of visit: December 2018
2  Thank paulsF1068UB
Reviewed 7 October 2018 via mobile

We have visited Paarl many times but not known about this restaurant's existence. It's up against the mountain, midst vineyards overlooking the Paarl valley yet close to town .
While the menu is not very extensive, the food was delicious and the service excellent. My husband was able to do his wine tasting while enjoying his lovely thin based pizza and a friend and I shared a tapas type platter. It was so relaxing sitting under the trees and enjoying our meal in beautiful surroundings.
I hope to visit here again on one of our return visits to Paarl.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 2 October 2018

We went for lunch on recommendation of friends and were not disappointed at all. We enjoyed their local wine that was really good. But the real treat if the food. There is a good menu to choose from and even our vegetarian friends were happy. The food was stunning and it is a lovely setting to sit there next to the vineyard. I would be looking forward to returning there.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 29 September 2018 via mobile

Simply an excellent setting, good service, friendly waiters, excellent pizzas snd ribs, good value, extra touches, good wines, good lamb burger, etc

Date of visit: September 2018