“Great Birthday Lunch!”

Restaurant at Glen Carlou
Ranked #5 of 111 Restaurants in Paarl
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Consistency, expertise and a commitment to always deliver beyond expectation is what we strive for with every bottle of Glen Carlou wine - we also aim to do this with every plate of food at Restaurant at Glen Carlou. Enjoy innovative dishes inspired by the seasons whilst taking in the breathtaking landscape from inside our architecturally designed building or from the shaded terrace deck.
Reviewed 7 August 2018

I booked online for my mom's 60th birthday and let the restaurant know it was a celebration. We were absolutely spoiled with the staff going out of the way with little extras and even gifted my mom with a bottle of wine at the end of our lunch. The service was impeccable and the food delicious. My mom had such a lovely day.

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed 16 July 2018

We go back every time as this restaurant is awesome! Such friendly service and staff all amazing!
Food out of this world and their Chardonnay an absolute must! Service with a smile at this Restaurant! Highly recommendable!

Review collected in partnership with The Entertainer
1  Thank esna2014
Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

We went to Glen Carlou on the Franschhoek Tram wine tasting. It felt like we were their first wine tasters ever. Waitress didn't really know where to seat us, restaurant out of bounds but tasters scattered around the restaurant area, no snack menu, staff very unwarm, including the manager. If they only want to be fine dining, then why accept wine tasters. Otherwise make both welcome in their own right.
Great pity as the wines and views are very good.

Date of visit: July 2018
GlenCarlou, Public Relations Manager at Restaurant at Glen Carlou, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2018

Dear Andrewbnbp,

I am very sorry you had an satisfactory experience, we will take it up with the team and learn from your feedback given. We aim to get it right every day and sometimes there is a slip - I am sorry that this was your experience. We will ensure all of the team are fully briefed as to which tables are available for our wine tasting guests, so future guests do not have the same. We do offer Cheese Platters for people looking for a snack and are looking to grow these options in the future. If you are ever back in the area, please let me know you can contact me at georgie at glencarlou dot co dot za. Kind regards Georgie

Reviewed 10 July 2018

The facilities, art gallery and restaurant are magnificent. Our shoulder of lamb will easily rate as one of the finest meals we have ever enjoyed.

1  Thank Rob C
Reviewed 7 July 2018

Glen Carlou is situated a bit high up on the estate with the most picturesque views. We were running a bit late so we gave them a call to advise them. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted and shown to our seats that had amazing views. We ordered water as well as some Sauvignon Blanc and proceeded to have a look at their menu. There was the option of a Set Menu and A la Carté. We opted to order from the A la Carté.

The Sauvignon Blanc arrived with bread (you get to choose from a variety of breads). We enjoyed their own Sauvignon Blanc that was crisp and young. The bread was served with a lovely truffle butter and aioli that was made in their kitchen.

Before our starters arrived we were served an Amuse-Bouche which was a Lamb Roulade - delicious.

For starters he had the Fried squid, corn and chilli salsa, chorizo oil, parsnip puree, and preserved lemon aioli. The squid was crispy and cooked perfectly. I had their Pork terrine, tomato and raisin relish, red onion and marinated capsicum. A really good dish. The pork terrine went well with the other components.
Starters were enjoyed with their own Rosè

Onto the mains, he can never say no to Pork belly which was accompanied with baked apple, carrot, crisp crackling, celeriac puree and pork pan jus. You will see from my photos that this Pork Belly looked totally different to what you would normally be present with. This was rolled. A different take on Pork Belly that was exceptional. Everything worked well together and he was very happy with it. I had their Slow roasted lamb shoulder, puy lentils, peach mebos and late harvest pearl onions. I turned my nose up when I saw the lentils as I assumed that they might have a bland taste but surprisingly it was seasoned well. The Lamb Shoulder was also rolled but was soft as well as delicious. We also ordered a side portion of Rosemary and Salt Potato Wedges - we still don't know why as the meals really tasted fine on their own but probably the subconsciousness craved them...
We enjoyed our Mains with their Mourvèdre which our lovely waitress Muriel had recommended.

Before dessert arrived we were served Chocolate Brownies with Caramel and mint - yummy!

For dessert he as the chocolate lover had their % of Chocolate which was 70% chocolate sorbet, 68% chocolate delice, 64% chocolate mousse, chocolate shortbread, pineapple and pomegranate. This was an excellent dessert and a brilliant fusion of fruit and chocolate. I had their Milk and honey which was honey panna cotta, buttermilk ice cream, honey comb and fennel granola. This was light, creamy whilst also have different textures. Another winner.

Double espresso for me and a Cappuccino for her before we settled the bill. The food, setting and service was great. All the staff were attentive and our waitress Muriel was efficient and very knowledgeable about the food as well as wine. Will we go back? Yes and you should also make a booking as this hidden gem holds wonders.

Date of visit: May 2018