“Great ambience and tasty food”

Old Mill Lodge Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 53 Restaurants in Oudtshoorn
Price range: US$4 - US$16
Description: De Oude Meul Old Mill Restaurant is no ordinary restaurant. It is a historic building with the Old Watermill still inside the restaurant. Approx. 150 years old. The restaurant opened its doors in Oct. 2003 and is still going strong! The restaurant is known for the wide variety of venison dishes served in the restaurant. People come from wide and far to experience it! We are also known for the wildlife scenery and river in front of the restaurant that creates a peaceful yet romantic atmosphere! We are situated at the foothills of the Swartberg mountains and are also surrounded by mountains. Truly the little paradise in the Klein Karoo!
Reviewed 28 May 2018

Great ambience with tasty and representable food with top class taste. Compared to top class restaurants in Cape Town , where I live, this Restaurant definitely got my attention. Was very busy when we went, and service was still of good standard. We would like to visit again when we go to the Cango Caves

Reviewed 15 May 2018

We booked one night in a safari tent. The accomodation was ok, but not as nice as in Buffelsdrift. I visited that one 3 years ago. This accomodation is much cheaper, but you donot get the right tent feeling. Inside there is too much furniture and a huge TV screen is also something i donot want in a tent. The restaurant is the worst of our 21 days on South Africa.The interior is dark and old fansioned. Staff is a little routine based . The menu was not very clear and full of logo's of different brands and not very clear to read. We were just in for something simple so we took a very simple dish: pasta, with cheese and mushrooms.The whole dish didnot taste very well: pasta was overcooked, as well as the mushrooms, the sauce was not made with fresh tomato's, I think it was a combination of tomato ketchup (!!) and cream. We love Italian food, but this was not good. We were glad that we only stayed for one day.

2  Thank Jeroen d
Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

Had a lovely stay at the hotel which was very enjoyable but wish we had eaten elsewhere. The restaurants food was very unimpressive and overpriced. Had the pea soup starter, which was definitely previously frozen with a chalky texture. The Ostrich burger main was undercooked and tasted strange. Also a corkage fee of R45 seemed steep. The manager was excellent and did a great job, but overall I wouldn’t recommend the restaurant.

1  Thank SethVanO
Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

What a lovely stay in the surrounds, but I should have done what most of my fellow lodgers did, and driven into town for a superior meal and experience. The restaurant was warm and cosy. Decor lovely, with 4 tables occupied on our arrival. 2 tables left whilst we were waiting service / ordering and a new table came in. The menu is on the pricey side, for which allowances can be made as this place is located 13 km out of town. However, the whole distasteful experience left a taste of ashes in my mouth, pun intended. I ordered the venison pie whilst my companion ordered a med rare kudu fillet. The food was delivered to the incorrect table by a different waitron and this once the error was noted, our waitron rushed to swop the plates. Now I had not had a chance to see if the diners to whom the incorrect food was delivered, had commenced eating off of our order, but the swop was done in about a minute. I requested a fresh plate of food from out waitron as I could not be sure. She duly brought back THE SAME plate of food. I had noted the distinctive shape of the potato wedge. This was blatant dishonesty and really upset me. I requested the manager who took almost 10 minutes to come to the table. By which time i had really lost my appetite and were it not for the fact that I had had some wine prior, would have rather driven into town. The manager apologised but my experience was ruined as he could noy justify why he had taken so long to come ( many excuses), and why there were 3 different waitrons serving our table, when there were only 4 tables occupied in the entire restaurant. My food, cold by now, was flavourless. The venison pie was dry, the pie crust over cooked and soft, not crispy. The potato wedges were not cooked properly and hard. The kudu fillet was dry and over cooked, more of a medium than medium rare. The sauce quantity was small and overly sweet doughy pumpkin fritters. A terrible terrible experience. Easily one of my worst. Avoid avoid avoid. The only reason for a rating of 2 and not 1 was the fact that they provided my venison pie free of charge and they did offer dessert, which I declined. I was done with punishing my digestive system with such badly cooked food and my sensibilities with discourteous wait staff. AVOID!

1  Thank MsBobbles
Reviewed 14 February 2018

This is really a beautiful lodge - gorgeous grounds - the restaurant is exquisite - rooms are comfortable and quite large - staff are very friendly.