Protea Hotel Oudtshoorn Riempie Estate
Boesmanskop(Oudtshoorn)
  • Restaurant
Fancourt(George)
View Hotel
All reviewsthatched hutsround housegroup comingcango cavesnice toiletrieswifi codeservice at receptionbird songquiet roomtour grouphotel restaurantvery nice hotelbit datedbar fridgesmall fridgespent one night hereen route
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 January 2017 via mobile

Not sure how this hotel got a rating of 3. This is not normal Protea standards at all.

Building and finishing - very old not modern at all. Burglar bars on window. . Not even Protea Breakwater which was a prison venue had that.

Restaurant - average. Chops was good. Service by staff very good and accommodating to our requests.

Rooms are all chalet style. We stayed in a family double room no 26 and 27. Two rooms with 2 single beds, en suite and small lounge. Very spacious and clean.
Parking right in front of room.

Pool next to restaurant was good size.
They offer same day laundry but no spa or gym.

No security at the main gate entrance.
On night 2, I found a cockroach in the bathroom. I know that there is lotsa open grass outside but still, never experienced this at a Protea before.

5 min driving distance to restaurants and Cango wildlife sanctuary.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
PHRiempie, General Manager at Protea Hotel Oudtshoorn Riempie Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2017

Dear Samantha

I’ve brought your feedback under our owners attention, and sincerely hope that if you accept our apology, the next time you stay with us we would improve to your satisfaction and quality delivery.

Please be assured that we do look forward to a continued relationship with you, and we all are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Riempies Hotel in the near future. It will be always my pleasure to assist.

Reviewed 4 December 2016

We had a thatch roof chalet. The room had air conditioning, hairdryer, and coffee/tea station. the bathroom needs updating. free wifi available in rooms. The food was ok. It had a swimming pool, childrens play area, and garden area. The location is so so

Room Tip: Ask for chalets they are different.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
PHRiempie, General Manager at Protea Hotel Oudtshoorn Riempie Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2016

Dear Guest

We are under new ownership since 16 November 2016 and would really give attention to upgrading the bathrooms.

Reviewed 23 November 2016 via mobile

Quant little hotel, easy to find. Parking under shade netting. Room clean and tidy, bed comfortable. Large flat screen tv with DSTV. Free wifi however I battled to connect saying incorrect password continuously so I eventually gave up. Extra plug next to bed which is very helpful when charging laptop while working. One thing I did miss is fridge, especially considering heat in Oudtshoorn it would have been nice to have an ice cold complimentary bottle of water awaiting me. Not your usual "hotel" setup, more of a "lodge" feel, some rooms are rondawels and other (where I stayed) 4 single story "rooms" in a row. (Refer picture). Leaving before 7 am breakfast so reception has arranged for a breakfast snack to be packed which is a nice touch. They offer supper in the restaurant which I didn't have and there is apparently a bar. My only complaint is the noisy neighbors who were up most the night slamming doors and having a royal party, and eventually after 2 am snored me awake. I would stay here again if I was with my family but when I travel for business I enjoy the "hotel" setup and feel which offers more privacy and sleep.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
PHRiempie, General Manager at Protea Hotel Oudtshoorn Riempie Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2016

Dear Liezl

Thank you for staying at the Protea Hotel Riempie Estate and for sharing your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim, being GUEST satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our GUESTS and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed our GUESTS expectations.

We are in the process to upgrade our Wi-Fi facilities. We do have security from 22h00 at night to 06h00. If there are other guests making noise please phone reception in future.

Reviewed 10 November 2016

Our tour group of 30 people stayed here for one night. The hotel is made up of 16 rondavel round chalets and some terraced cottages. People in the rondavels enjoyed their stay, those in the chalets less so. I was in chalet 17 and it was rustic to say the least. Bathroom was tiny and desperately in need of an update. It was so small the sink is actually in the bedroom area and looks very utility. The room had a stable type door of 2 parts and I struggled to open it from inside and out. Wifi was supposedly available in reception but none of us were able to connect. We had a buffet dinner and breakfast and they were both excellent.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
PHRiempie, General Manager at Protea Hotel Oudtshoorn Riempie Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2016

Dear Jellifer

We are in the process to upgrade rooms and the Wi-Fi is a priority at this stage. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your meals.

Elmarie Goosen

Reviewed 7 October 2016

It might seem like it is in the middle of nowhere and a long way from town (it is), but the property is quaint, delightful and spending the night in a typical African rondele with a pointed thatch roof, is certainly a treat. Basic accommodations and only a few rooms available. Excellent breakfast buffet and the BBQ dinners out by the pool are exceptional! Internet is available thruout the property but weak signal, and unless your room is located close to the main reception house, you probably won't connect at all.

Room Tip: Ask for a rondele close to the reception area to ensure an internet connection
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo