“Don't Expect Too Much”
Review of Meerkat Adventures

Meerkat Adventures
Ranked #1 of 7 Tours in Oudtshoorn
Reviewed 16 January 2017

I love 5 day Test Match Cricket and to me this experience was for the Naturalist equivalent.
If you prefer 20/20 then go and see Meerkats in a zoo where you will be guaranteed entertainment but the purists will look down their noses at you.

So if you like getting up at 4.15 and then waiting expectantly for some action for 3 hours this is for you.

The action when it happens and if it happens (as in nature nothing is guaranteed) is the first sighting of a meerkat 10 metres away from you followed by sporadic sorties from other members of the family. We had that experience. If you are lucky they will then all introduce themselves have a frolic and then move off as a group to find breakfast. We were not lucky.

No matter, the extremely friendly and knowledgeable guide informed and amused us with plenty of stories and his passion for his subject shone through.

I know I should appreciate this wild experience and the work that has gone in to allowing me to get so close to nature, but personally I found it a bit too expensive for the experience I received.

There are newer reviews for Meerkat Adventures

Reviewed 9 January 2017 via mobile

Not cheap, but worth it. Get a great view of such a rare and fascinating animal. The guides seemed extremely passionate and knowledgeable which is always good.
Also pleasing that the meerkats were still wild, and were not interfered with at all by humans. Not fed or touched all, just used to seeing and hearing humans, so they weren't spooked when they saw us

Reviewed 5 January 2017

Everything was well organized and we saw a whole family of Meerkats! We got some coffee to get the morning going on, then walked couple hundred meters and sat on our chairs and waited for the Meerkats. We didn't need to wait very long after we saw the first one, and soon after that the whole family. I was surprised how close they were! Only couple meters from us.

Really loved the experience, Meerkats are the cutest animals.

Reviewed 3 January 2017 via mobile

Up at 430am - Meerkat burrows on De Zeekoe farm at 6.00am - then wait, and wait, and wait.

A few sneaky looks between 630 and 800 - we almost gave up as one family did - but then at 815 the family of 10 meerkats emerged to go off foraging (after a bit of a play to warm up). Amazing experience.

Reviewed 1 January 2017

We had a very good encounter with a family of ten meerkat. I do however think that at R600 per head it is overpriced.