“Beautiful hotel and location”

The Marine Hermanus
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Hermanus
Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

Staying here for two nights. Arrived on a very calm sunny day and several whales just off the shoreline which we could see from the hotel grounds and hear. Beautiful hotel with very friendly staff. White bed linen which was folded down in the evening. Went to the restaurant, staff service excellent and you could see food being cooked. The attention to detail was very impressive. Would highly recommend the fish curry, one of the best dishes I have ever tasted.
Hermanus village is in the doorstep and you can do the lovely cliff top walk.
Free wifi.
Has a lovely spa.
Check weather forecast as if it is showing rain when you arrive highly probable that boat trips are cancelled due to current. Worth leaving Cape Town early if it's a sunny day and catching a boat trip on the day you arrive. However we saw boats on the day we arrived watching the same whales we saw from coastline.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Barbados0506
TheMarineteam, Manager at The Marine Hermanus, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2017

Dear Barbados0506,

Thank you for your wonderful review, I am absolutely delighted you had a fabulous stay with us recently.

Thank you your wonderful compliments to our friendly staff, we do indeed have such a special team at the Hotel.

I am disappointed that you missed your Whale Watching boat trip, but delighted you were able to view these magnificent creatures from the Hotel.

We hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

The Marine was everything I hoped it would be and more! I have had this hotel on my bucket list for a few years. After a difficult start to the year, my husband and I finally had the opportunity to visit and stay for a few nights. What a treat!

The hotel is a grand old dame that has lost none of her olde worlde charm with all the mod cons you can think of. Our room was magnificent with a spectacular view over Walker Bay. We were treated to whales breaching on some mornings, which we could watch from the comfort our bed.

Breakfasts were scrumptious with a view to match and dinners at Origins were sinfully delicious! The staff were extremely friendly and obliging, no request was too much or too difficult. We had a whale of a time and will definitely return to this beautiful piece of paradise.

Thank you to the managers and staff who made our stay so amazing!

Room Tip: Best views of Walker Bay were higher up from the top floor.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle S
TheMarineteam, General Manager at The Marine Hermanus, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2017

Dear Michelle S,

Thank you for your wonderful review.

We are so pleased to hear that you have ticked us off on your bucket list and enjoyed your stay at the Marine, especially that you were able to spot some whales breaching from your magnificent room.

We look forward to your return visit.

Jo Massie

Reviewed 6 August 2017

My wife & I checked into the spa for the day & decided to spend the night . Firstly we were pampered at the spa leaving after several hours of being spoiled with heavenly pleasures .We checked into our room & I informed Heidi that I am a vegan & she said not to worry The room was luxurious & had all the comfort one can ask for . We went for a long walk along the cliff path & enjoyed breathtaking views of Walker bay . Time for dinner when I was seated by Sam I got handed my own menu .Yes Vegan menu this bowled me over .Accommodating a clients needs is one thing but this service on an entirely different level . I was so impressed & when the food arrived I was even more impressed delicious , original ,creative & perfectly prepared. Thank you Sam & Heidi you are both shining stars & you do your hotel proud!! The Marine's number One on my treat list

Room Tip: Don't miss the breakfast YUMMY !!!
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Shane S,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. We are delighted to hear that yourself and your wife enjoyed your time with us at the Marine Hotel.

We do try our utmost to accommodate our guests with dietary requirements and it is great to read that you enjoyed our very own Origins Vegan Menu.

We do look forward in welcoming you both back to one of your favourite places.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 19 July 2017

We spent two nights here and loved this hotel. It is in great location on the cliff very close to the town centre, restaurants and shops.
The building is a lovely old historic hotel - our room was very spacious and comfortable. Best storage space for clothes so far on this trip. Large bathroom with separate bath and shower. Coffee and tea making facilities and mini bar. Good wifi and comfortable bed. Blankets in the closet if you did not want the duvet or donna.
Breakfast was a la carte one morning and a buffet the next. Nice range of food and good expresso coffee.
Staff and very friendly - helped us with directions and maps for the coastal walk. Only negative - no gym in the hotel but a long walk is a good alternative.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
TheMarineteam, Manager at The Marine Hermanus, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2017

Dear Go55,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. We truly are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us as well as the Hermanus. I do hope you managed to spot a whale or two.

We do hope to welcome you back to the Marine Hotel.

Reviewed 16 July 2017

The Marine is one of those grand ole dames [South African-style]. I must have stayed here 3 or 4 times over the years, and still love it. I am here on business - seems like everyone else is here on holiday. I was given a room away from all the hustle and bustle of the hotel, as requested - room 202. The room is large and comfortable - just the way I like it. Within a day, everyone I interacted with knew my name. If I requested something - my minibar emptied or an additional heater, it was done immediately and with a smile. Did I say I love coming here?

Stayed: July 2017

Dear LlewellynPatrick,

Thank you for wonderful review, we are delighted to read that you had a great stay with us even though in Hermanus on business.

I am glad that we met your expectations for room requirements.

We look forward in welcoming you back to the Marine Hotel.