All reviews seafood restaurant origins restaurant travel desk liz mcgrath pavilion restaurant the cliff complimentary mini bar whale watching main restaurant fabulous hotel star hotel the general manager sister hotel sea view cape town south africa walker bay
Reviewed 21 August 2016

We made reservations for an ocean view and left two messages with the manager to ensure we had the right room, but we were given a room overlooking the roof of the spa and the manager never conversed with us. Our room was so small, the bed area was slightly bigger than than closet/bathroom combined and we ran out of hot water during our showers. The experience was overpriced based upon an old reputation.

Restaurant wait staff need training, as the food was not cooked as ordered at both dinner and breakfast and the staff did not listen, when asking for water, coffee, manager's attention, etc. Not sure who is managing the hotel, as it seems the staff does whatever they want, not the customer.

Disappointing visit is an understatement.

Room tip: Pay a lot, get little value, with the exception of location.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Joseph M
TheMarineteam, General Manager at The Marine Hermanus, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2016

Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

I am so sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectation. I wish we had the opportunity to personally meet each other to discuss this matter and to rectify your concerns. Your opinion is invaluable to us. My team and hotel is my pride so I will work very hard to ensure that the above concerns does not happen to any other of our hotel guests and visitors by method of coaching and feedback.

I can only hope that you will give us the opportunity to rectify our mistakes.

Reviewed 19 August 2016

Great accommodation with the most helpful and happy staff stayed in a luxury room on east side...room 106... a lot of room excellent bed and pillows own spacious lounge room excellent view also had spatious verandah with panoramic views close to large range of restaurants all within walking distance also walk to galleries and market as well as small shops book stores and tourist info on the main cliff top walk

Room tip: Room 106 was great
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank p w

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. It us much appreciated.

I am delighted to read that we managed to create a memorable experience for you. 106 is rather special. It's so pretty, own balcony, panoramic views of the ocean and spacious.

The team is my pride. Through their hard work and dedication we are able to do wonderful things for our guests. I am very proud to be sharing this feedback with them.

Reviewed 8 August 2016 via mobile

The Marine Hermanus boasts a history and a legacy. We even forgot that at one stage Brad Pitt stayed at The Marine. Superbly located right on the sea front and a short walk to Restaurants and the wonderful walkway along the ocean. You are greeted with happy smiles along with a warm towel To freshen you up after your journey as well as an ice tea. Very friendly staff to top it all the manageress is on top of things. To our luck we were upgraded to a bigger room very lovely on the ground floor . The room was large and decor old English with some modern updates. Our only gripe is that the toilet started acting up and although the housekeeping staff were wonderful in trying to resolve the issue the night duty manager needs some serious training. Whoever was on duty just told the housekeeping staff we just have to wait for the morning. The duty manager made no attempt to resolve the guest satisfactory. In my mind for a 5 star establishment that is totally unacceptable. Morning came and a chat to the manageress and within seconds the maintenance team were at our beacon. After breakfast our room was ready with a fresh fruit bowel . Nice touch she is on top of her game. The other issue is the wooden floors make a racket in the morning when people awake but we didn't let all this deter us. An update to the bathrooms and rooms would be welcomed. Breakfast was good and the food of good standard. A lovely garden setting and beautiful views of the mountain and ocean can't beat that ! We would despite some quirks definitely return to The Marine Hermanus. We had a whale of a time and the time spend was just too short . It is a well run hotel, ultra friendly staff , magnificent views and location.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
TheMarineteam, General Manager at The Marine Hermanus, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2016

Dear Guests

Thank you very much for your review.

I am delighted to hear that you will be back with us and that you had a whale of a time. In response to your feedback about the Duty Manager, I will certainly make sure that the necessary training is done so that it will never occur with any other guests. Thank you for bringing it my attention. I will share your feedback with my team.

Our location is prime and we are surrounded by the most spectacular scenery anyone could possibly ask for. We are very fortunate in this regard.

I am looking forward to welcome you back to The Marine Hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 7 August 2016 via mobile

Another level of accommodation,impressed impressed impressed.Over the moon about the service and the staff was on the ball! I went with my wife and from
Check in to check out we were served ,Staff was friendly ,helpful well dressed,well spoken,knowledgable knew their surroundings and eager to assist in anyway .That made our stay so memorable ,Supper and breakfast was world class and just realized why people would pay so much money,I would gladly spend money to be treated like I was over my weekend away .Still in awe of my room,my view,my service I received and did I mention that the food was world class It's a must to experience best to come when Whale season is in full swing.Whales can be spotted from your bed room and can be enjoyed with a good glass of Shiraz,Whisky,Gin or a local beer compliments of the hotel whilst sitting at your window.

I fell in love all over thanks to the Marine Hotel,thank you to the GM and all the staff for being so awesome.

God Bless you all and continue the good work and the keep on giving that great hospitality !!!!!

5stars???10 for me!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review of your stay with us.

I will be sure to convey your feedback to my entire team. They will be so happy to read this. We pride ourselves on delivering the best service at all times and I am over the moon to hear that you experienced this in all aspects of your stay. I am delighted to hear that we manage to create lasting memories of your stay at our gem.

The views are simply magnificent, we are indeed blessed with nature at it's best. It is spectacular.

I hope that you next visit to us will not be in the too distant future.

Kind reagrds

Reviewed 6 August 2016

Fabulous hotel. Remarkable rooms (we had a suite) with balcony. Great dinner. Views over the bay from the windows (and from both the shower and bath!).
Breakfast was a little confused. Not served as a buffet on our first day, Served as a central buffet on our second day. Some renovations ongoing.
I suspect this hotel will be excellent after the renovations are complete, and when the staff complement is complete and training has been completed.
I would definitely return.

Room tip: What can I say, a suite overlooking the bay is lovely. The difference is worth it if you're going to Hermanus anyway.
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us.

I am delighted to read that you had a memorable time with us. Our location is prime and we are fortunate to be surrounded by such breath taking beauty. Our refurbishment is now completed. Thank you for understanding our situation and for your patience in this regard. You will just have to come back and experience our refurbished product.

We are all looking forward to welcome you back with us in the near future.