“Passage to India”

Cuisines: Sushi, Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 15 December 2017

Delicious Indian food. Starter of lamb kebab cigarillos with a dipping sauce - were delicious. The lamb shank curry with pea pilau rice was perfect with tender lamb and a wonderful sauce. Prawn briyani was heavenly - with a mint raita - medium heat was tasty and delicious. A few more prawns would have been nice though. The aloo paratha was very good. Service was slick and professional. The waiter's recommendations were excellent. There are some excellent vegetarian options too so no one feels left out. We will definitely be back for more.

Reviewed 15 December 2017

One can find indian food , menu was good , variety of dishes . I found service was bit slow , and taste was ok . If one want to eat indian food , there were other restaurant that serves good indian food . As a indian I know , indian meal they serve was not taste like authentic indian food .

Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

Second time I’ve been here. The first time was enjoyable in every way and I was keen to return. I suggested to my Dad and a family friend we go to The Raj, Constantia as they wanted to stand me to dinner. We were easily seated without a reservation near the doors spilling out onto the quaint mall. Our waiter was quick to bring us papadums and accompanying sambals and being a very warm evening we ordered a bottle of Savignon Blanc which the waiter said was out of stock and returned to our table with 3 bottles of wind which he seemed a bit too eager to sell especially the red. We had indicated we were interested in white and ended up ordering a bottle of Sav Blanc from the menu which arrived less than cool so needed lots of ice and some time in the ice bucket which was provided without request. Ready to take our order, our waiter rather abruptly asked if we would have samosas to start. We did not and I ordered my favourite Chicken Tikka Masala, our friend, the Fish Malabar and my Father the Lamb Shank curry. Not being big carb eaters, we ordered a peshwari naan, a side of basmati rice and cucumber raita to share. Our food was efficiently served and was scrumptious. Thanks to the chefs. Unfortunately we sat for 10 minutes or more with passing waiters for our table to be cleared and our waiter folding away tablecloths outside. Eventually we put them on the unoccupied table behind us and a while later I asked a passing waitress to please ask our waiter to clear our table. The restaurant was not busy and there were lots of waiters (probably too many for a quiet night and perhaps that was the problem!) After this, we were abrasively interrupted by our waiter on a number of occasions for coffees, desserts, “anything else”. The latter a number of times. We felt so harried by our pushy, impatient and somewhat arrogant waiter throughout that it spoilt an otherwise enjoyable evening and accordingly we left an unappreciative tip. I see from the other reviews on this site that there are challenges with staff attitudes and service at this establishment which is what I suspected when I spoke to the manager before leaving. I don’t think I will be back, no matter how great the food is. Pity because Indian food is my favourite. But so is pleasant, authentic, good service and a welcoming ambiance. Somehow, everything else about this place speaks to that. My advice to this waiter (from a former top waitress at an prestigious Atlantic Seaboard establishment) : read your customers, don’t do constant desperate sells or snd never judge when they don’t buy (you don’t know anything about them), be polite, authentic and enjoy the experience of serving them. Pays off!

Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

We were very impressed by the service and even more so by the food. Extensive authentic indian menu. The butter chicken was delicious and keot hot on a small individual bowl stand with candle. Not seen that at our usual curry house. Decor is relaxed and chic lots of free secure parking outside and prices are mid range.

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

After reading many reviews about the curry (average to good), higher than average prices, strange menu with curry and sushi and not great service I was unsure what to expect. I was however pleasantly surprised by the food which is very authentic and impressed with the service. We had paneer tikka for a starter which was good but the paneer could have benefited from being marinaded prior to prep. For mains we had a curried game dish (ostrich and springbok) with a saag gosht curry sauce and paneer makhni (vegetarian), roomali rotis and garlic naan. Our waiter was very attentive and provided lots of suggestions with good advice about our selected dishes. He was very knowledgeable and passionate about us having great curry and overall good dining experience. Such a pity we didn't get his name. He has been with the restaurant for about 4 months and hails from Durban (my hometown). We had table near the fireplace which was a perfect accompaniment for the good food and rainy, cold weather that evening. It warrants a return visit. Recommended.