All reviews greenhouse restaurant liz mcgrath relais chateaux upgraded to a suite cape town wellness spa fine dining old trees tasting menu slopes of table mountain high tea this wonderful hotel award winning low carb stunning gardens attention to detail luxury hotel
Reviewed 12 February 2018

It is truly rare to experience such a level of professionalism from the staff.

The place is magical - Gardens, pools, restaurants, the bar...

One can dine by the pool - which in summer is just wonderful.

It is slightly difficult to navigate through the facilities- finding the other pool was a bit of a mission. Perhaps a little plan of the property would be helpful- as one doesn’t utilize its potential not knowing that there are other places to discover.

The garden is like a fairy tale.

Weekend away - dinner or a business trip - perfect place to be.

Stayed: November 2017
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2018

Dear Kat V

Many thanks for your fabulous feedback, I am delighted that you found our service levels to be exemplary and our enjoyed our gardens, pools and restaurants. We do have a map of the Hotel which is available at reception and I apologize that you did not receive one during your stay.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience with us, our staff will be thrilled to receive this feedback

Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

This hotel is in the top-tier of world hotels, but being in South Africa, very affordable. The staff are very hospitable and the place is well organised, possibly with the exception of the reception/concierge services, where I think the lack of space and lack of seating immediately in that area can make things look a bit uncomfortable when its busy. However that’s mostly offset by the attentiveness of the reception desk staff

The facilities and rooms ( we stayed in a suite ) were superb.
Drinks at the pools could be ordered by phone, and arrived quickly, though personally I prefer staff to be permanently on duty in situ, and occasionally walking around to ask if anything is required.

There was plenty of room for everybody at the pools, if everyone behaved sensibly, but as they don ‘t always do that, a few more sun-beds and parasols would have been useful. Here, again, someone permanently in attendance would have helped.

There is a main hotel restaurant, the conservatory, where the food and service was excellent. Breakfast in particular was very enjoyable, with a very nice indoor and outdoor dining areas.
The standard lunch and dinner menu had plenty of things that appealed and every day there were “specials”, e.g. cuisine of different nationalities. All superbly well done.

The other restaurant, the gourmet-standard “Greenhouse” is excellent and even if you don’t stay at the hotel, you should visit.

Overall a very enjoyable stay in a beautiful location with welcoming service, and top-class food, but not without one or two wrinkles that could be easily smoothed out. I only mention these small points as the hotel, I sense, aspires to perfection. It is but a few short steps from being internationally absolutely outstanding. So, five stars, but should “look to it’s laurels.”

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2018

Dear GuidoForks

Many thanks for your fabulous review of the Hotel, I appreciate too that you have pointed out a few areas that require attention, particularly at the pool areas, although we do have members of staff allocated to these areas on a permanent basis I will investigate why they were not visible.

I am delighted that you found the room, facilities and food to be superb.Once again, many thanks for this valuable feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Reviewed 10 February 2018

There is no question about the main hotel - well situated in a secure and quiet location and convenient for all Cape Town amenities. Two main buildings each with a restaurant. We only ate in the Conservatory and enjoyed every meal particularly those where we were able to sit outside in a warm temperate climate. We found all the staff to be friendly, helpful and courteous without being obsequious. That smacks of careful selection and good training - well done. The areas of disappointment were connected with our room. It was on the ground floor and approached down a long corridor with some stairs. They didn't cause us a problem but would have done for an infirm person.
On first sight our room should have been fine - the door opened into a small lobby with cupboards and then a separate door to the bathroom and another to the bedroom.
The cupboards were cheaply made out of MDF or plywood and had been over-painted. One of the hinges was loose which I tightened up with a screw driver I always carry with me. The bathroom was all right, it was clean but fairly basic and nothing special. It did not have any sort of luxurious feel which for the overall quality of the hotel should have been there. The bedroom was the best part and this was of a higher standard. A door opened off to access a small patio which was very disappointing. The ground had brick paviours some of which were uneven creating trip hazards. A small metal table had clearly seen better days with chipped dark green paint. There were two sun loungers with the white plastic discoloured through age and we certainly didn't want to sit or lie on the padded covers which had dirty stains and dried mildew on them. Finally the area was graced with two large terra cota plant pots. One had a plant so dead it was beyond hope. The other showed some signs of life and taking pity on it I gave it several glasses of water from the bathrom. A final downside was a path that ran close to our bedroom windows so care was needed to ensure curtains were closed when undressing. Overall the room and patio facilities are just not in the same league as the rest of the hotel and have accounted for our overall rating being downgraded from a potential excellent to average.

Room Tip: If you are disabled make sure you don't have to go up or down steps to access the bedroom.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Monty341

Dear Monty341

Many thanks for your review of our Hotel, I am delighted that you found our location ideal, that our staff took great care of you and your meals in The Conservatory were found to be very good - I will pass on these compliments to the team they will be thrilled.

I am disappointed that your room was found not to be up to standard and I will be investigating these points mentioned and assure you that they will be rectified. We will be undergoing a further refurbishment program this year which will attend to these shortcomings.

Once again many thanks for your feedback

Best wishes

Reviewed 8 February 2018

This hotel is in a great location to explore Cape Town and the surrounding areas if you want to be away from the hustle and bustle. It’s very close to the excellent botanic gardens. Uber works really well and you can get in and out of the city centre fairly easily but you will get stuck in traffic if you pick the wrong time to travel. There are some superb local restaurants and the food in the hotel itself is great. You have to book their prestige restaurant well in advance. We allowed two weeks but found ourselves on a table in an area separate from the main dining room that felt a bit like a corridor. I haven’t stayed anywhere else in Cape Town so it’s difficult to like for like review but compared to other relais et chateau properties it is a little off the mark. That said we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and would definitely return.

Stayed: January 2018
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2018

Dear Baedeckers

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Hotel, I am pleased that you found our location convenient and that you enjoyed our restaurants at the Hotel. Our Greenhouse restaurant is unfortunately at this time of year booked out at least 2 months in advance and we do advise guests on making Hotel reservations to reserve a table in advance.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Reviewed 5 February 2018

We stayed more than 2 weeks. We had room number 5, a magnificent and spacious suite with its small veranda giving to the lawn and the non heated swimming pool. Perfect as most guests do not use this swimming pool. All staff were professional and extremely friendly. All the buildings and gardens were beautifully maintained.We were very sad to leave as we could have stayed another two weeks. Only small criticism: we could not have a table at the gastronomic restaurant. Fortunetaly enough,the other restaurant was of very good quality.

Room Tip: Rooms giving on to the non heated swimming pool
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2018

Dear ssy2018

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Hotel, I am delighted that your two week holiday with us was enjoyable. I am so sorry we could not get you into Greenhouse, this Top 5 restaurant is extremely busy this time of year and bookings are made almost 6 months in advance. I am pleased that you enjoyed the meals in The Conservatory and found our staff to be attentive.

I look forward to your return soon