2 people are viewing this hotel
R 8 387
Agoda.com
R 7 049
Breakfast included
No fees just great deals
All reviews greenhouse restaurant liz mcgrath scones high tea martini bar cape town camphor trees beautiful hotel stunning gardens wine list duty manager special occasion attention to detail table mountain out of this world first class main building
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 November 2017

Firstly the disclaimer, the front of house staff are lovely. The hotel itself 10 years ago would have been fantastic but is in need of a bit of TLC. There is chipped paint, broken plugs and the skirting on our shower (room 214) was broken.

Housekeeping didn't bother to clean our room on one day and they never bothered to replace the water without me specifically calling.

In summary this would be a lovely 4* hotel but given the prices they're charging and the quality of front of house staff the niggles really let them down.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank AnotherTraveller478
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2017

Dear Alex D

Many thanks for alerting us to your recent stay at the Hotel. What you have described in cause for serious concern. I have checked the room that you stayed in for two nights and have not found what you described, and our housekeeping records show that the room was serviced.

As we do not have a room 214, is it possible this could be another Hotel?

Obviously I would like to determine if this is for our Hotel & may I ask that you email me on gm@cellars-hohenort.co.za as soon as possible

Best wishes

Reviewed 27 November 2017

I have visited this wonderful hotel a few times on business and each time it has reinforced itself as a classy and stylish hotel.
Rooms are not all equal however and with a little pre-visit knowledge, you can really improve the quality of your stay. Breakfasts are pure joy either taken in the garden with the ducks shuffling around your feet and the mountains towering above or inside with the views and surrounded by glass.
The group I stayed with had dinner on our first night stay and it was a real treat being both extremely tasty and well-presented.
Rooms generally have all you could wish for and then some (especially if you get a superior or more luxurious room). Decor is simple and classy keeping rooms beautifully light. Bathrooms have all you would need although I did find it surprising that the baths still had plugs in the tubs considering the serious state of the water shortage in Cape Town.
On that subject there are letters urging you to save water in the rooms but nothing mentioned during check-in? This I found very unsettling as the city staggers under serious water shortages.
All in all a lovely country feel relatively close to the city.

Room tip: Avoid rooms 46 and 47 as they are situated above a kitchen/restaurant area. Staff leaving work at very late hours were extremely loud .
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2017

Dear Garth J

Many thanks for your delightful review of our Hotel, I am pleased that overall you enjoyed our restaurants and rooms and the relaxing atmosphere of our gardens.

Just a note on the water shortages - we were one of the first Hotels to initiate awareness campaigns which we began almost 6 months ago. We have shut off all municipal water to our gardens and only use borehole water (and this is used sparingly), we also have a plan where the borehole water will be used to refill pools and and flush toilet systems and should be online by January 2018.

Although we have signage displayed in reception and in the rooms, we have not removed the bath plugs - we mitigate this by ensuring that on check in, when we room our guests, we do our utmost to alert them to the seriousness of this drought & encourage them to save water by showering and not bathing, reusing towels and opting for longer linen changes. I am quite surprised that this was not conveyed to you. I will reassess our procedures and the message to our guests again

Many thanks for your valuable feedback

Kind regards

Reviewed 15 November 2017 via mobile

I discovered this little gem through an invitation to join Insight Vacations for their 2018 Launch... they’re all about ‘The Art of Traveling in Style’, a fitting choice of venue.
The entire property is tastefully styled and homely. With various options to dine, for lunch in the restaurant, on the patio or gorgeous little spots for a ‘high tea’, we were in the Greenhouse, run by Executive Chef Peter Tempelhoff - an award winning restaurant. My lunch was delicious, beautifully presented and the portion sizes were ‘just right’, not to big, not to small. I opted for the calamari and Sorbet dessert - the chef’s choice and it was right on the button for me.
I would highly recommend a visit, it’s a hidden gem and well worth a leisurely visit for a special occasion.

Trip type: Travelled on business
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2017

Dear Guest

Many thanks got your delightful review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time here with us at the launch of The Art of Traveling in Style, and that you found the food excellent. Thank you for your wonderful recomendation

Best regards

Reviewed 12 November 2017

We arrived after a long and tiring overseas flight. The whole team was welcoming, helpful and focused on anything that could make our stay comfortable.
We immediately felt at home.
The room was clean and decorated with a lot of taste.
The restaurant, food and drinks were top!
A real peace of heaven in the midst of this wonderful Constantia!
Loved the ducks in the garden!
Thank you, definitely, each we shall come to Cape Town, we now know were our home is!

Room tip: take a garden orientated room.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2017

Dear jean_michel155

Thank you for your wonderful review on your recent stay, I am thrilled that our team made your stay more memorable and that you enjoyed the restaurants offerings - our ducks all have their own unique personalities and I glad you enjoyed your experience.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your return!

Kind regards

Reviewed 4 November 2017

My daughter in law had, for Christmas last year, given me a voucher for the Low Carb High Tea at the Hohenort for the two of us. We went this afternoon - perfect weather, perfect timing. Everything was totally delicious! We valiantly attempted to eat our way through but there was just rather too much for us. Delicious tiny, bit sized morsels of food; we thoroughly indulged!! A gorgeous selection of treats, perfectly balanced and enjoyed with a glass of sparkling wine. I would really like to do this again!!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2017

Dear travelalwayssa

Many thanks for your delightful review of the High Tea recently at the Hotel, I am so pleased that you found the time to make use of your wonderful Xmas gift from your daughter and that you had a fabulous afternoon with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Best wishes