The Cellars-Hohenort
US$197
US$178
US$302
Agoda.com
Nova Constantia Boutique Residence(Constantia)(Great Value!)
US$200
US$167
Agoda.com
The Last Word Constantia(Constantia)
US$287
US$278
Tudor Hotel(Cape Town Central)
US$65
US$367
US$107
US$185
Travelocity
All reviewsgreenhouse restaurantliz mcgrathrelais chateauxupgraded to a suitemartini barcape townfine diningold treestasting menuhigh teaslopes of table mountainthis wonderful hotelaward winninglow carbstunning gardensattention to detailworld class
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 September 2017

We stayed for four nights with our two children in August, and are so glad we chose this property over one in the V&A waterfront, which has become over developed and too commercial. The service is excellent, and our rooms, 27 and 29, were basic double rooms, but extremely comfortable. The property is really stunning, with acres of manicured gardens that are well maintained. The food is very good starting with the breakfast in the conservatory. They have numerous choices, including many healthy choices. I read about slow service, but we never experienced that for a minute. In fact, on our last day, we had 30 minutes to eat lunch, and they went out of their way to accommodate us with a quick lunch on the terrace of the Conservatory. We also tried the Greenhouse, which is a gastronomic restaurant. Very good. Everyone went out of their way to be helpful and seemed genuinely friendly. The driver service, though a bit expensive, was really comfortable and convenient. One tiny complaint is lack of a basic fitness room, but they shuttle you down to a Virgin Active Club a few minutes away, which is great. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend. We have stayed at Ellerman House as well, and this has similar comfortable small hotel feel.

Stayed: August 2017
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2017

Dear UWSFoodFan

Many thanks for your wonderful review of our Hotel, I am delighted that you had a great stay with us and very pleased that you enjoyed the fabulous food on offer at both The Conservatory and our specialty restaurant, Greenhouse. I am happy too that you got to make use of our free shuttle & free access to the Virgin Active gym which is very close by and you enjoyed our spectacular gardens and service.

Much appreciated

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

If you are tired of big standardised hotels this is a great option. My second stay here, great service, super friendly staff and just enjoyable to stay here. Cuisine in the hotel itself is very good and another restaurant on the premises is an alternative.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

Dear AchimKlennert

Many thanks for your kind words & sharing your experience, I am delighted that you found that our staff were friendly and helpful and that you enjoyed your meals in our restaurants.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

Having booked for afternoon tea we decided to arrive a little earlier and have a cocktail on the terrace first. We were shown to a table overlooking the lovely garden but unfortunately the table and chairs were wrought iron and in the lovely Cape sunshine too hot to lean back in. Also paint was flaking off the furniture and stuck to you! A little maintenance required or preferably change to more suitable outside furniture.
Anyway we asked for the cocktail list but were disappointed that it was much shorter than we'd viewed on their website. However we made our selection. After a while the waitress returned to say there would be a short delay as their ice machine had broken and the manager had gone out to buy ice. This delay turned into 45 mins during which the waitress apologised several times but didn't offer us anything else. Eventually the cocktails arrived but without any ice cubes or crushed ice in the glasses, just a slightly chilled drink. Very disappointing.
However it was soon time to go into the lounge for our afternoon tea where things rapidly improved. We chose the low carb high tea which may sound a little too healthy but was, in fact, absolutely delicious. It was so nice to have some savoury items, broccoli red pepper and goats cheese tarts and beef and peppadew sosoaties. Dark chocolate and beetroot cupcakes followed by pavlova and fantastic scones with sugar free jam and whipped cream cheese. A wide selection of teas and coffees to choose from and our teapot was regularly refilled for us.
All this for R225 per person, approximately £14.
If we hadn't had the debacle with the ice at the start for which we were sadly not offered any recompense, this visit would have got a 5 star rating from me. But I still rate the afternoon tea as one of the best I've ever had and will probably go again on my next visit to Cape Town. But I'll probably pass on the cocktails next time!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Dear 336Linda

Many thanks for your review, we appreciate the constructive feedback and I would like to apologize about the ice issue that you had. It could have been handled more effectively than what you experienced

I have noted though that this happened in February of this year and I can assure that any issues that we had with our machinery has been rectified.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our High Tea and had a wonderful afternoon despite this, and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

Helpful & friendly service, beautiful large rooms with lounge area, dressing room, very comfortable. Dinner at the Conservatory was great and lunch at the Greenhouse restaurant was exceptional. Amazing low-carb High Tea!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2017

Dear Deidre L

I am absolutely delighted you had a fabulous stay with us recently. Many thanks for your wonderful compliments to our restaurants and high tea offering, I will pass this on to our staff members who will love this feedback

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

Friendly reception and service in this gorgeous old building carrying one back to the days of style and class. The atmosphere is relaxed and the gardens magnificent. Few hotels have two great restaurants on site but book in advance at the Greenhouse: not to be missed!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

Dear Johann S

Thank you for your wonderful review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay as well as our excellent restaurants. I trust that our relaxing atmosphere will see you return in the near future

Best wishes