All reviews greenhouse restaurant liz mcgrath relais chateaux upgraded to a suite cape town wellness spa fine dining old trees tasting menu slopes of table mountain high tea this wonderful hotel award winning low carb stunning gardens attention to detail luxury hotel
Reviewed 20 July 2017

Where else would you expect to celebrate your 80th birthday? The Conservatory, of course. We had the company of children and grand-children for this event, so the embarrassment was extreme, especially when the presents arrived, accompanied by the compulsory balloon appropriately decorated so that all guests were in no mistake as to the nature of the occasion; bless them they even joined in singing Happy Birthday. Our splendid chef did us proud with the moist carrot birthday cake which was delicious and suitably decorated with candles[not 80]. Our dear waitress, Janet, rounded off the party by bringing in a plate of petits-fours, with Happy Birthday written around the edge in chocolate. Roll on my next birthday.

Room Tip: We only visit the restaurant
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2017

Dear Vyv73

It was an absolute pleasure to host your birthday celebrations at the Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed the day and I will most certainly pass on your thanks to Janet, Chef and the Team. I look forward to celebrating your 81st birthday with us next year

Reviewed 3 July 2017

This was out first stay over at the hotel (we have been to the Greenhouse to eat a few times).
Very nice hotel, great location, awesome bed....very friendly staff.
The Greenhouse - again it just takes your breath away at the creativity and inventiveness. Do the tasting menu - don't bother reading the menu (a waste of time as you will not be able to recognize anything when they bring the dish)......let them surprise you.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2017

Dear Paul S

Thank you for your wonderful review, I am delighted that you found our staff and accommodation so awesome! Greenhouse is indeed a special restaurant and well deserving of its TOP 10 status in SA, the tasting menu is sublime, I will pass on your compliments to Peter and his team!

Reviewed 17 June 2017

On Saturday 10th June my family and I had High Tea at the Cellars to celebrate our twins' first birthday. There were no children in the party...it was for the parents, grandparents and teenage nieces! We were just a small party of 10 and it was utterly delightful.
The service was some of the best I have ever experienced. The tea itself was delicious. We sat in front of the fire in very comfy couches and chairs which area had very kindly been allocated for our 2 hour party. We started off with some champagne. Everything was set up when we arrived and looked so pretty. We were allowed to bring in 2 bottles of our own bubbly and paid corkage. Tea and coffee was served with the food which came in on 3 tiered stands and wowed everyone. The coffee was piping hot which is always important to me. It a low carb tea and a good mix of savoury and sweet. It is not all cakes and the heavy stuff and rather different. You don't leave feeling so awfully full. I was able to switch one or 2 of the items with others on offer on the general tea menu- eg for their carrot cake. The decor and ambience of this hotel is quite divine and I shall go back again and again. Grew up in CT and have lived here my whole life and this hotel is on my doorstep and superb. Huge and special thanks to Shaun in particular (who was so lovely), his team on the day, the chefs and to Emma for a great experience. A most memorable occasion and for a perfectionist like me it ticked every box!! Thank you.
Belinda

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2017

Dear 538Belinda

Many thanks for your wonderful review of your high tea experience with us, I am delighted that it ticked all the boxes and our staff took good care of you - I will pass on your kind words of appreciation to Shaun and Emma and the rest of the staff!

I look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 14 June 2017

We were a family group of 23 people and somehow, the staff at the Cellars managed to ensure that we each had a "personalized and customized to our taste" vacation! The hotel is charming, and warm and very cosy!

The rooms were airy and beautifully furbished, and you could see a personal touch in every room. (We especially liked the Toffees they left on our pillows every night!).

The staff did not once get irritated with our constant requests - (and believe you me, they were many many varying requests), but they kept on smiling and giving us excellent service for the 5 nights that we stayed over!

Candice and her team did not once get frazzled with our ever changing itinerary and they did recommend great places for us to tour. The car service team was always ready to take us into the town.

The breakfast- to die for! the fresh juice? I still dream of it...

The gardens- very blissful, and lush and green. (We were told there was a drought but you could never tell by the looks of their green green grounds!)

We had a super time, and wonderful experience. I would recommend this for: a big group, a honeymoon couple, a small family, a solo getaway, a business retreat... you name it, they will customize it to your needs.

Thanks Candice once again! you and the team ROCK! we shall definitely be back. Webaale Nyo!! Asante Sana!! Merci Beaucoup!! Grazzi!!

Room Tip: request for the rooms with balconies- they have stunning views of the table mountains!
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2017

Dear malayika60

It was an absolute pleasure to host you and your family at The Cellars-Hohenort and I am delighted that you had a fabulous holiday. I am so pleased that my team were able to assist with all your requirements and I will pass on your thanks to Candice and all involved!

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed 12 June 2017

I booked online on a special offer which stated 'book now for this price'. As a previous visitor to this relais and chateau hotel many years ago, I thought it would be a special place to spend an anniversary night away from home. Immediately 50% of the regular chargeout rate for the room was debited from my credit card. When I called the hotel they stated that this was correct, that there was no special rate. As it was only a few days before the anniversary the booking could not be cancelled and when I contacted Booking.com, which was the offer advertised on the hotel website, there was no response whatsoever. This started everything off on a bad footing. On arrival we were disappointed with the room which was very dated, (as is the whole hotel where we were), dinner was good but not amazing and we had to call a waiter to ask them to arrange for the spotlight out in the garden outside the diningroom to be moved as it was shining directly into our eyes as we sat at our table. All in all we felt we could have done very much better elsewhere and as soon as breakfast was over, we headed for home (down the road and far more comfortable and aesthetically agreeable). Never again.

Room Tip: can't help here - we overlooked a garden
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2017

Dear lgriffiths2017

Thank you for providing me this feedback, we have no control over the Booking.com website but I would ideally like to investigate the special rate that you saw advertised there, which was not offered to you - would you kindly respond to me on gm@cellars-hohenort.co.za so that I can get more details from you on this. It is normal practice to get an initial 50% payment to secure reservations as well as the balance upfront prior to arrival.

I, however, do wish to offer my apologies that we did not meet your expectations, and truly hope that we will see you return to enjoy a more positive and enjoyable stay