All reviews greenhouse restaurant liz mcgrath relais chateaux upgraded to a suite cape town wellness spa fine dining old trees tasting menu slopes of table mountain high tea this wonderful hotel award winning low carb stunning gardens attention to detail luxury hotel
Reviewed 12 June 2017

I booked online on a special offer which stated 'book now for this price'. As a previous visitor to this relais and chateau hotel many years ago, I thought it would be a special place to spend an anniversary night away from home. Immediately 50% of the regular chargeout rate for the room was debited from my credit card. When I called the hotel they stated that this was correct, that there was no special rate. As it was only a few days before the anniversary the booking could not be cancelled and when I contacted Booking.com, which was the offer advertised on the hotel website, there was no response whatsoever. This started everything off on a bad footing. On arrival we were disappointed with the room which was very dated, (as is the whole hotel where we were), dinner was good but not amazing and we had to call a waiter to ask them to arrange for the spotlight out in the garden outside the diningroom to be moved as it was shining directly into our eyes as we sat at our table. All in all we felt we could have done very much better elsewhere and as soon as breakfast was over, we headed for home (down the road and far more comfortable and aesthetically agreeable). Never again.

Room Tip: can't help here - we overlooked a garden
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2017

Dear lgriffiths2017

Thank you for providing me this feedback, we have no control over the Booking.com website but I would ideally like to investigate the special rate that you saw advertised there, which was not offered to you - would you kindly respond to me on gm@cellars-hohenort.co.za so that I can get more details from you on this. It is normal practice to get an initial 50% payment to secure reservations as well as the balance upfront prior to arrival.

I, however, do wish to offer my apologies that we did not meet your expectations, and truly hope that we will see you return to enjoy a more positive and enjoyable stay

Kind regards

Reviewed 12 June 2017

We were in a group of 30 and there were wildly different room experiences. The hotel is stunningly set on the slopes of Table Mountain in Constantia. The grounds are well presented as are the hotel buildings. The hotel prides itself on its status as one of the Leading Hotels of the World, and staff are extremely well trained, well turned out and courteous. Generally the food at dinner and breakfast was very good.
But there were some serious downsides.
Our room was in the roof of one of the old main buildings. It was thus rather cramped, especially where there were sloping ceilings. But the huge turn-off was that the shower was not in the bathroom but in the bedroom - complete with towel rail and lino floor area. This was just awful for a 5-star hotel - a French b & b maybe, but not here! The towel rail was hanging off and this was quickly repaired, but the room should not have been offered without proper examination
We did try to change rooms but there was no other room vacant apparently. Our frustration was compounded on finding that one of our party - a single lady - had a huge two-bedroomed suite with mounds of facilities. Not enough thought had been put into room allocation obviously.
As stated the food was good, but the restaurant service was not always great. At our one evening meal there the service was positively glacial - unforgivable since we had a set menu. Breakfast was better with lots of willing staff - that is until our departure day. The hotel knew we had an 8am departure, but when we all turned up fro breakfast at 7am the tables had not been prepared, not all the staff had turned up, and not all the food had been set out. I waited in vain for their much publicised hot scones.
Sorry Cellars-Hohenort, but this was not a 5 star experince.

Room Tip: Select your room very carefully - do not accept a room in the roof.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Cavan R

Many thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay here, it is critical for us to ensure that we meet & exceed our guest expectations and sadly it seems we were not on point. I wish to offer you my sincere apologies for this experience.

We take this feedback very seriously and I can assure you that we will be investigating all these points. I will ensure that preventative and corrective action is taken to avoid these shortfalls in the future.

Once again, my apologies to you.

Reviewed 12 June 2017

We recently stayed at the lovely Cellars-Hohenort hotel in Constantia, the beautiful old wine area in the hills above Cape Town - the room was quiet, very comfortable and well appointed with great views of the gardens. The Conservatory restaurant had many delicious offerings for breakfast and gastronomic offerings for lunch and dinner. The staff is charming and extraordinary - many long-time employees with marvelous insight and who were extremely helpful, yet not obtrusive. We would recommend this hotel without reservation to anyone traveling to Cape Town and the surrounding areas - we cannot wait until our next trip to S Africa and our return to this amazing property!

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the gardens, roses growing on the pergolas below - lovely.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family

Dear MartinB-USA

Many thanks for your fabulous feedback! I am delighted that you enjoyed our location, rooms and food during your stay with us. I am so pleased that the staff took good care of you and will share your lovely comments with them.

I look forward to welcoming you back when you return to South Africa!

Reviewed 12 June 2017

We recently celebrated our 41st Wedding Anniversary with a lovely Sunday Lunch at The Cellars with family and friends.
The service was good and the food excellent. The view was stunning of the mountain through the glass - it was a cold winter day but still felt like outside in the warm conservatory. Would definitely go again.
I felt for the price however that it could have included a starter or desert as it was just the main, which was great but when it is a big crowd at the table the desserts got a bit expensive - a set menu dessert would be fine -a s with the roast lunch.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family

Dear Dawnve

Thank you for your delightful feedback, I am so pleased that you had a fabulous Sunday lunch and that you found our atmosphere warm and friendly on a cold and wet winters day.

Many thanks again for your kind words

Best regards

Reviewed 11 June 2017

Dear Management,
As frequent traveler all over the world including other Relais & Châteaux Hotels one can truly say that you are made feel at home here at Hohenort. Experience European class in South Africa with a cuisine par excellence and courteous staff in a stunning setting of nature and nostalgia.
I will definitely return.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family

Dear Peter F

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us, I am delighted that you were made to feel at home and that you found the cuisine and service excellent. We look forward to welcoming you back on your return!