The Cellars-Hohenort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Vineyard Hotel(Newlands)
  • Pool
Tudor Hotel(Cape Town Central)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgreenhouse restaurantliz mcgrathrelais chateauxupgraded to a suitemartini barcape townfine diningold treestasting menuhigh teaslopes of table mountainthis wonderful hotelaward winninglow carbstunning gardensattention to detailworld class
Reviewed 30 April 2017

Suprisingly great location for such a quiet hotel, that hides within its own immaculate secret gardens, beneath the stunning backdrop of table mountain. Classic old school feel, a little like a French Chateaux but agruably in a better setting. It's staff make the difference here, they are warm, friendly and go the extra mile. My room could have done with updating but that might be being a little harsh, it was very comfortable and the service from some of the most wonderful people, just makes you enjoy the experience. The food here is simply outstanding.

Highly recommend this hotel.

A special thank you to Derek, Mandy, Amy and Grahame who provided first class service - all the staff here were very attentive and nothing was too much trouble.

Room Tip: A must stay in Cape Town. Even if you have another hotel in mind, think about a night or two here as an add on. Worked for me.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2017

Dear Leal I

Many thanks for your fabulous review, I will be sharing this wonderful feedback with the team and particularly those staff members that were mentioned.
I am delighted that you enjoyed the food and service and thank you for the high recommendations - We will be beginning an upgrade to our rooms very soon, some have already been completed last season and we will have more to add after the next phase.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 25 April 2017

Old,old,old, old. Hotel is located in one of the best residential locations in between Constantia and Newland. Gardens are beautiful, staff friendly and a gourmet restaurant Greenhouse is excellent. Meanwhile be careful as rooms are old, old furniture, comfortable bedding but old fashioned style.Need urgently to be renewed and Mrs. Liz Mac Gratz should consider severely to refresh integrally his place that haven't been refreshed since almost 20 years. The cleanest of rooms is suspicious. We had lots of black long hair of previous visitors everywhere in room. We been upgraded to suite which we have appreciate after visiting luxury deluxe, but if you are looking for value of money while staying there, avoid!
I was our third Relais & Chateaux while visiting South Africa this year and unfortunately Relais & Chateaux cannot grant anymore top level on it's places.

Room Tip: If any recently refurbished room, don't hesitated go for it !
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2017

Dear philippe386

Many thanks for highlighting the housekeeping issues you experienced and once again our sincere apologies as this was unacceptable. We appreciate that you enjoyed our restaurants, service and comfortable beds.

Yes indeed, the Hotel is an older country manor style, rich with fascinating history and amazing stories, however, we are up to speed with modern facilities such as high speed fibre-optic Wi-Fi, DVD players, satellite TV, heated pool, spa, tennis courts etc. Also, we are busy with a room refurbishment programme, we have been doing upgrades over the past few years and once again will be continuing with our refurbishment programme again this winter.

I do appreciate your feedback and trust that we are able to welcome you back in the future

Kind regards

Reviewed 22 April 2017

Was invited by a friend to enjoy a lunch during "Restaurant Week", so a limited menu, but hey, lots to pick from. The setting is exauisite, mountain backdrop, thick forest gardent, flowing stream and quacking geese. Wonderful!! We were at the Conservaroty. The food was superbe, the atmosphere was sublime. Initial service was a little slow but this soon picked up when possibly the second shift came on duty, or they were away setting up a wedding venue. Spent 5 hours sitting chatting and eating delectable food and thoroughly enjoying the relaxed atomosphere. A definite recommendation. Wonerful day and superbe food.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends

Dear MoragofAfrica

Many thanks for your delightful review of The Conservatory restaurant. I am so pleased you enjoyed our food and service and the relaxing grounds and environment. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 14 April 2017 via mobile

A true taste of excellence . The meal , service , surroundings and ambiance is truly magnificent . One of Cape Town better kept secrets for the locals . First class and very well presented . It has it all .

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2017

Dear bmw740il2015

Many thanks for your lovely feedback on your experience at The Conservatory. I am delighted that you found the surroundings, meal and service so magnificent and I trust that we will see you back again very soon!

Reviewed 13 April 2017 via mobile

This is the 101st review that I have written for Trip Advisor and amongst all the hotels I reviewed the Cellars Hohenhort has the most charming staff that I have a come across. They are extraordinary. The receptionists, the restaurant staff, the guards at the gate, the team at the spa and the chamber maids all deliver a wonderful, warm personal attention. They really, really want the guests to enjoy staying there. What more is there to say about a hotel?

Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2017

Dear Charlie1001

There is nothing better than reading a review where praises are bestowed on the staff. They are indeed a fabulous team and I cannot thank you more for such high praise. They will be overjoyed when this is shared with them - thank you so much.
I am delighted that you had a fabulous stay and I look forward to welcoming you back