“Great old world service”

The Cellars-Hohenort
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Constantia
Reviewed 2 March 2017 via mobile

When you walk in to reception and are greeted but the general manager this is a great start .
This is a top hotel a great looking place but the service is 120 out of 100 .
The restaurant is very good highly recommended this place !!!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2017

Dear matt1958683

It was an absolute pleasure to have met you and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you kindly for your compliments and recommendations - it is much appreciated.

Best wishes

Reviewed 25 February 2017

Start with the good:
1. Hotel is one of the old establishment properties, located perfectly behind Kirstenbosch, 20 mins to the V&A, Table Mountain and Hout Bay.
2. Gorgeous gardens and surroundings with accomodations spread across the main Manor House and smaller wings.
3. Never felt crowded and was beautifully peaceful

The Bad Stuff
1. 45 mins for an Americano in the morning at breakfast. We were not an isolated case - three tables within immediate earshot were all subtely and not so subtely reminding service staff repeatedly for the forgotton order
2. The kitchen evidently cannot cope with a full house - on our first night we were waiting 50 miniutes for our starter. The first starters that arrived (after 45 minutes) were not ours and we saw they were taken inside the kitchen and promptly returned to the table next to us. Front of house was totally incapable of managing the flow of traffic resulting in a full restuarant with all orders taken at the same time. This cannot have been the first time the kitchen was inundated so this is obviously a systemic problem - restaurant was the Conservatory
3. Food quality - I ordered the fish. It was immediately clear this had been prepared some time ago and left under the hot lamp station. How did I know - the skin on the beurre blanc sauce and the fact the sauce had crusted to the plate. Definitely not the Relais Chateau standard, not in keeping with the price of the dish.
4. Service - with the exception of a couple of servers who ran around the restaurant attempting to do the work of 5 people (definitely not front of house...) most service was ineffective and generally gave an air that this job was a necessity rather than a profession they wished to excel at. Examples are numerous - at checkin, when taken to a room that was still in the process of being cleaned my wife asked if the host was correct that this was indeed our room - verbatim response "if this is the room you reserved then it is your room". It wasn't. 5. House keeping service - absolutely diabolical. Examples are numerous but the highlights include - never once actually cleaning the room. We ran an experiment of checking the dust when we arrived and the same dust on all sufaces accumulated over the 5 days we stayed. it as never once cleaned. Wine glasses that were used for red wine were rinsed and replaced rather than clean glasses returned (how do I know - the smell of red wine residue and the physical red wine residue at the base of the glass)

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Relais & Chateaux
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2017

Dear Dsharratt

Many thanks for providing this feedback, although this is quite shocking to read it is evident from your review that you were deeply dissatisfied, my sincere apologies for what you experienced. This is certainly not a standard we subscribe to or that we wish to convey to our guests. I will of course be dissecting all these points and ensure that attention is given to all the areas.
Having a full restaurant is no excuse for your delays that you experienced, nor should there be any reasons that your room was not cleaned - I am further alarmed that it was dusty & wine glasses stained - inexcusable!

Once again my sincere apologies and I wish to assure you that I will give these points my full attention

Regards

Reviewed 24 February 2017

Our second stay at the Cellars , this time for a slightly longer stay. In general it remains a delightful, old fashioned place to stay with it's extensive gardens , plush furnishings, plentiful , friendly staff and ample good quality food and drink options so there is no need to leave the premises for several days!

Just found a few minor issues this time. First, our bed was oddly short. My feet were sticking over the end at night and I'm only 5'9". Could it be that the bed(actually two singles pushed together) had been made up the wrong way round?

Second there was confusion over the food service in the main sunbathing/pool area. We were told on arrival that this was serviced by the bar of the Greenhouse restaurant, where I must say the coffee was much better than in the main building. But we were told by the staff there that a snack lunch was not available. So we were surprised to see other loungers enjoying sandwiches , etc. Turned out it depended who you asked.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear medocain

Thank you for your review and for your kind comments. I have noted your bed comment and was surprised that you mentioned your feet were sticking out - I checked this room and it is a standard double bed measuring 137cm wide by 187cm in length, giving you more that enough length - could it possibly have been the extra cushions which may have taken up the space? Greenhouse bar was open for beverage service only - we provided meals & snacks at the pool from the Conservatory which you simply order from the pool attendant or waiter, I am not clear what you were told so my apologies for this confusion.

Reviewed 21 February 2017

Well located a short distance from Constantia village the cellars is a quality establishment in a great location. Public rooms are attractive and comfortable although attention needs to be given to the restaurant layout by management. Too many tables in a poor configuration.
Rooms in the Cellars very comfortable and the staff obliging. Clean and good vfm.

Room Tip: Ask for a Cellars room
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2017

Dear Rob B

Many thanks for your great review, I am happy to hear that you found our location convenient and enjoyed your stay at the Hotel. I would be very interested to find out more on your observations regarding our restaurant table configuration - please drop me an email to gm@cellars-hohenort.co.za

Reviewed 19 February 2017 via mobile

The saving grace for Cellars Hohenoet was the exceptional service we received... We were made to feel very welcome from the moment we arrived and the staff couldn't do enough to make our stay enjoyable.

The room however was disappointing. It was lovely and quiet and in a fantastic position, opening onto a small terrace and the pool, but the standard of the room was not to the standards you would expect from a 5* hotel. Slightly dated furnishings are perhaps in keeping with it being a grand country house, but the blackened (mouldy) shower sealant, the stained bedding and the cracked window pane is not what we would expect from a 5* hotel.

The service at breakfast was first class, but I would question why our food was served on a wooden board with thin paper on top. This is fitting for burger and chips, but not for an omelette or eggs benedict and it proved difficult to eat the food without eating the paper it came on.

Whilst we loved the way our room opened onto the pool, I don't think the pool had been cleaned for a few days at least and so it was tricky to swim without consuming dead flies or leaves... A minor detail, but I would have expected the pool to be cleaned daily.

With one of the best restaurants I've ever been to (Greenhouse) on your doorstep and the wonderful service, I enjoyed my stay at Cellars Hohenoet, but with a few changes the hotel could be exceptional.

If you choose to stay here you should insist on having one of the updated rooms.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2017

Dear duncanmacrae

Thank you for your review of our Hotel, I am pleased that generally your stay was good but would wish to apologise to you for your observations in the room - this is unacceptable and I will personally investigate this with my Team.
We will be continuing with our room refurbishment project in the winter and I do believe this will address some of the issues mentioned. I will also discuss with our chef the plating of the food as this seemed to cause concern and perhaps the new style is not ideal. The pool is cleaned twice a day but I will address this again as the oak trees surrounding the one pool do have alot of leaves and acorns that drop when the wind blows - my apologies on your experience with this.

Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Constantia
Steenberg Hotel
Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel
Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel
#10 of 110 in Cape Town Central
1 624 reviews

Been to The Cellars-Hohenort? Share your experiences!