All reviewsgreenhouse restaurantliz mcgrathrelais chateauxupgraded to a suitecape townwellness spafine diningold treestasting menuslopes of table mountainhigh teathis wonderful hotelaward winninglow carbstunning gardensattention to detailluxury hotel
Reviewed 29 November 2016 via mobile

The Cellars-Hohenort is a perfect retreat with two very good restaurants, one of them -the Greenhouse- is one of the top-restaurants in Southafrica, but also the Conservatory has a very good sellection of local food! Staff at reception as well as at the restaurant is extremly polite and helpfull. The decoration of all parts of the hotel is a very tastefull mix of modern and traditionel elements. But the best of all are the beautiful gardens including two pools and lots of small paths through lush vegetation.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2016

Dear Andreas B

Thank you kindly for your wonderful review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed both Greenhouse and The Conservatory and we are pleased to say that the former received another Top 10 place at the recent Mercedes-Benz Eat Out awards held in October. I appreciate your kind words for our staff and I will ensure they receive your compliments.

Regards

Reviewed 29 November 2016

From the moment I arrived, it was perfection in every way. The gardens are magnificent, I felt like I had been transported to a secret haven with little paths, flowers of all colours blossoming everywhere, huge old trees shading little ponds with waterways. The hotel buildings have been designed in a way that makes nature king. There are different room types which were all sublime. the décor is crisp, simple and classic and attention to every little detail was wonderfully apparent. Every single staff member I met was was friendly, courteous , professional and willing. No request was too much trouble to organise! and the food!! I can not believe that I cannot fault any meal I had there, from the breakfasts to lunches to dinners and room service meals. I can honestly say I've never had the pleasure of experiencing a property in which I can not find one fault at all. To me, Cellars Hohnenort is a rare and perfect pleasure!

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank bitbythebug53

Dear bitbythebug53

Many thanks for your wonderful review, I am delighted that every aspect of your stay was enjoyable. Our location, grounds, rooms and food offerings are designed to enhance a restful & magical stay. Thank you for the lovely compliments on our staff, I will certainly pass these on to the team here!

Reviewed 27 November 2016 via mobile

Booked in because I had a layover in Cape Town and wanted to comoare it to its neighbor, The Alphen.

The hotel is charming, the attention to detail and care is right there but some small things, that make a huge difference, caught me out and took the polish off.

The layout is quirky and the decor, while lovely, doesn't flow. You walk from one nice space to another nice space but it's all a little awkward.

The shower has a hot and cold faucet, that you turn on by reaching under the shower flow.... and no thermostatic valve makes the water temperature bounce from freezing to boiling as everyone else turns on and off there faucets on neighbouring rooms.

A gorgeous and peaceful pool was interrupted frequently by a conference taking place on one of the many meeting rooms. The attendees took breaks every 45 minutes and walked to the pool to take photos and wonder around. Again, a little awkward for those lying around in sunbathing attire.

It's a lovely hotel but should reign in the conference business and hire a good decorator with hospitality experience.

Overall it's lovely. The food is great and the staff charming. You feel very welcome very quickly.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2016

Dear Nicholas C

Many thanks for your wonderful review of the Hotel, we appreciate your feedback and delighted that you found the food, service and grounds enjoyable. We will take a close look at your observations to improve our delivery.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 26 November 2016

I did not stay at the hotel.

I collected a voucher from the Fresh Wellness Spa at the Cellar - Hohenhorts and decided to grab some tea at The Conservatory which is one of the restaurants on the hotel property. The hotel is set among the most beautiful gardens and deserves a mention!

I chose to have my tea outside as it was a stunning day. I arrived just before 5pm and ordered something to drink. By the time my iced coffee arrived it was about 5:10pm. I requested scones and was told it was after 5pm and not possible. I responded that I called the hotel earlier enquiring about afternoon tea and was advised that the last order for tea/scones was at 5:30pm. The waiter then happily obliged.

There was a private function, with a relatively big group of people, taking place on the terrace of The Conservatory and I wanted to enjoy a quiet afternoon. At some point I moved indoors to a beautifully decorated, plush, comfortable lounge area with stunning King Protea flower arrangements. The room had double volume ceilings with a neutral but tasteful colour palette. My scones were freshly baked, with a delicious texture and served with strawberry jam, cream and cheese. I requested cheese and this was included without any fuss. The staff were friendly and helpful. I enjoyed my scones and caught up with some reading - a lovely late Saturday afternoon well spent. There is free wifi available.

After my scones I took a walk through the beautiful gardens. I was most enchanted with the little family of ducks that waddle around and hop in and out out of the pond on the lawn area. Lovely photo opportunities!

I will definitely return to The Conservatory for high tea with some company. Based on the tables nearby the high tea offering looks delicious but is perhaps too decadent for 1 person. Tea/ scones/ cake is served from 11am - 5pm. High tea is served from 3pm - 5pm.

Recommended!

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo

Dear Merelou_J

Thank you for your delightful review. I am pleased you enjoyed a relaxing afternoon of tea and scones with us and we look forward to seeing you back soon

Regards

Reviewed 21 November 2016 via mobile

The hotel and gardens are stunning. Everything is very well kept, as we walked around the property we couldn't believe we had found yet another beautiful garden. The food was wonderful and the staff was extremely attentive. This is a great place to sit and relax though it is also very close to many of the main Cape Town attractions, like kirstenbosch and table mountain. We also made use of the pool and tennis court on site. I would definitely recommend this hotel and hope to return someday!

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lauren C
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2016

Dear Lauren C

I am so pleased that you enjoyed our magnificent gardens, our Camphor trees date back to 1866 and were planted by the authorities in the Dutch East India Company, older than the trees planted in Kirstenbosch by Cecil John Rhodes. I am delighted too that you enjoyed our food and found the location ideal to explore the rest of Cape Town's attractions

I look forward to your return in the near future.