“My stay at the Cellar-Honenort”

The Cellars-Hohenort
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Constantia
Nairobi, Kenya
“My stay at the Cellar-Honenort”
Reviewed 29 November 2016

It was great staying at the Cellar Hohenort where I was participating in a meeting from 14 - 19 November. What an amazing bunch. The following staff were exceptionally helpful: Kelly at the reception (who wonderfully introduced Angel the cat to me), Tahir and Ayanda in the restaurant. Margaret during the breakfast sessions was just one generous soul. Just FAB!!! And gorgeous surroundings. The room....super comfy.

• Stayed November 2016, travelled on business
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this review, 30 November 2016
Dear Musonda M

I am delighted that you had a fabulous stay here during your conference with us, I will pass on your wonderful compliments to the staff as mentioned.

Many thanks and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon

Dominic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 29 November 2016 via mobile

The Cellars-Hohenort is a perfect retreat with two very good restaurants, one of them -the Greenhouse- is one of the top-restaurants in Southafrica, but also the Conservatory has a very good sellection of local food! Staff at reception as well as at the restaurant is extremly polite and helpfull. The decoration of all parts of the hotel is a very tastefull mix of modern and traditionel elements. But the best of all are the beautiful gardens including two pools and lots of small paths through lush vegetation.

Stayed November 2016, travelled as a couple
Dear Andreas B

Thank you kindly for your wonderful review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed both Greenhouse and The Conservatory and we are pleased to say that the former received another Top 10 place at the recent Mercedes-Benz Eat Out awards held in October. I appreciate your kind words for our staff and I will ensure they receive your compliments.

Regards
Hoedspruit
Reviewed 29 November 2016

From the moment I arrived, it was perfection in every way. The gardens are magnificent, I felt like I had been transported to a secret haven with little paths, flowers of all colours blossoming everywhere, huge old trees shading little ponds with waterways. The hotel buildings have been designed in a way that makes nature king. There are different room types which were all sublime. the décor is crisp, simple and classic and attention to every little detail was wonderfully apparent. Every single staff member I met was was friendly, courteous , professional and willing. No request was too much trouble to organise! and the food!! I can not believe that I cannot fault any meal I had there, from the breakfasts to lunches to dinners and room service meals. I can honestly say I've never had the pleasure of experiencing a property in which I can not find one fault at all. To me, Cellars Hohnenort is a rare and perfect pleasure!

• Stayed November 2016, travelled on business
1 Thank bitbythebug53
Dear bitbythebug53

Many thanks for your wonderful review, I am delighted that every aspect of your stay was enjoyable. Our location, grounds, rooms and food offerings are designed to enhance a restful & magical stay. Thank you for the lovely compliments on our staff, I will certainly pass these on to the team here!

East Hampton, New York
Reviewed 27 November 2016 via mobile

Booked in because I had a layover in Cape Town and wanted to comoare it to its neighbor, The Alphen.

The hotel is charming, the attention to detail and care is right there but some small things, that make a huge difference, caught me out and took the polish off.

The layout is quirky and the decor, while lovely, doesn't flow. You walk from one nice space to another nice space but it's all a little awkward.

The shower has a hot and cold faucet, that you turn on by reaching under the shower flow.... and no thermostatic valve makes the water temperature bounce from freezing to boiling as everyone else turns on and off there faucets on neighbouring rooms.

A gorgeous and peaceful pool was interrupted frequently by a conference taking place on one of the many meeting rooms. The attendees took breaks every 45 minutes and walked to the pool to take photos and wonder around. Again, a little awkward for those lying around in sunbathing attire.

It's a lovely hotel but should reign in the conference business and hire a good decorator with hospitality experience.

Overall it's lovely. The food is great and the staff charming. You feel very welcome very quickly.

Stayed November 2016, travelled solo
DominicPrendegast, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this review, 28 November 2016
Dear Nicholas C

Many thanks for your wonderful review of the Hotel, we appreciate your feedback and delighted that you found the food, service and grounds enjoyable. We will take a close look at your observations to improve our delivery.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon

Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 26 November 2016

I did not stay at the hotel.

I collected a voucher from the Fresh Wellness Spa at the Cellar - Hohenhorts and decided to grab some tea at The Conservatory which is one of the restaurants on the hotel property. The hotel is set among the most beautiful gardens and deserves a mention!

I chose to have my tea outside as it was a stunning day. I arrived just before 5pm and ordered something to drink. By the time my iced coffee arrived it was about 5:10pm. I requested scones and was told it was after 5pm and not possible. I responded that I called the hotel earlier enquiring about afternoon tea and was advised that the last order for tea/scones was at 5:30pm. The waiter then happily obliged.

There was a private function, with a relatively big group of people, taking place on the terrace of The Conservatory and I wanted to enjoy a quiet afternoon. At some point I moved indoors to a beautifully decorated, plush, comfortable lounge area with stunning King Protea flower arrangements. The room had double volume ceilings with a neutral but tasteful colour palette. My scones were freshly baked, with a delicious texture and served with strawberry jam, cream and cheese. I requested cheese and this was included without any fuss. The staff were friendly and helpful. I enjoyed my scones and caught up with some reading - a lovely late Saturday afternoon well spent. There is free wifi available.

After my scones I took a walk through the beautiful gardens. I was most enchanted with the little family of ducks that waddle around and hop in and out out of the pond on the lawn area. Lovely photo opportunities!

I will definitely return to The Conservatory for high tea with some company. Based on the tables nearby the high tea offering looks delicious but is perhaps too decadent for 1 person. Tea/ scones/ cake is served from 11am - 5pm. High tea is served from 3pm - 5pm.

Recommended!

• Stayed November 2016, travelled solo
Dear Merelou_J

Thank you for your delightful review. I am pleased you enjoyed a relaxing afternoon of tea and scones with us and we look forward to seeing you back soon

Regards
Dominic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Constantia
Steenberg Hotel
Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel
Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel
#9 of 109 in Cape Town Central
1 539 reviews

Been to The Cellars-Hohenort? Share your experiences!