“Best pork belly ever”

Ranked #2 of 54 Restaurants in Constantia
Price range: R 128 - R 329
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Named after the year in which Steenberg was established, Bistro Sixteen82 first opened its doors in 2009, and has been the tapas and bistro-style darling of the dining world ever since. An innovative and interactive wine and food destination, the Bistro sits adjacent to Steenberg’s winery, and spills into its surrounding indigenous gardens with a terraced dining area leading to reflective water features, unfurling into views of the magnificent stone mountains and expansive winelands. The Bistro Sixteen82 menu is a constant evolution, keeping up with seasonal produce and featuring inventive dishes that compliment the finest locally sourced ingredients. With Breakfast, Lunch and late-afternoon Tapas menus to choose from, the Bistro provides fine dining with an inimitable contemporary spirit. Executive Chef, Kerry Kilpin, love to create food which is seasonal, flavourful and bursts with freshness. "My greatest inspirations are derived from significant occasions in my life. On my travels to Thailand I developed a love and passion for Asian food. From shopping at the local food markets to creating my first authentic Thai dish, I was in heaven. You will notice a common thread in what I do and who I am. Love. I cook with love and my food is love." Internationally, Bistro Sixteen82 has been recognised in the list of 20 of the World’s Best Winery Restaurants by Canada’s renowned Wine Access magazine. Locally, listings included prominent mentions in Fleur du Cap’s Top 100 Places; Eat in Cape Town; and EAT OUT’s Best Bistros list.
Reviewed 10 April 2024 via mobile

Very good restaurant, the food amazing, the staff very well trained and I could have not chosen better the food. We had the wagyu beef with the salad and the amazing pork belly, one of the best I have ever had in my life. Totally worth it

Date of visit: April 2024
1  Thank renato_gama85
Management response:Responded 15 April 2024

Dear renato_gama85

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to review our restaurant. Your fantastic compliments regarding our staff and food are truly appreciated. At Bistro 1682, we are dedicated to creating memorable experiences for our guests, and it brings us joy to receive such positive feedback.

We eagerly anticipate the opportunity to welcome you and your friends back to our beautiful restaurant.

Best regards,
kerry.kilpin@bistro1682

Reviews (1 134)

3 - 7 of 1 134 reviews

Reviewed 8 April 2024 via mobile

Every restaurant I am currently reviewing is swinging in at 5 stars. Yup, the common thread is being S African. This was another triumphant meal. While we were there as a couple, we also struck up a great conversation with the people at the next table who were enjoying it as much as we did. Sat outside in the shade and thought of the UK and the cold and the grey and the wet and the wind. The food and service were superlative. Yet another to be added to the Must Return list.

Date of visit: February 2024
1  Thank MCCC23
Management response:Responded 15 April 2024

Dear MCCC23,

I want to express my gratitude for your thoughtful review of our restaurant. Your kind words about our food and service mean a lot to us. At Bistro 1682, we are committed to ensuring every visit is unforgettable, and we can't wait to have you back at our lovely establishment.

Warm regards,
kerry.kilpin@bistro1682.co.za

Reviewed 19 March 2024

Food was excellent, service was erratic and unprofessional, and the very loud "bom-bom" music was completely inappropriate and dreadful.

1  Thank MoveAlong2014
Management response:Responded 20 March 2024

Dear MoveAlong2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant and your delightful compliment on our food.
We are truly grateful for your feedback although you highlighted the negative we can use this to improve our service.
We sincerely apologise that you felt our music was inappropriate, our music is curated to give a vibe to suit the buzz of the Bistro style restaurant we are.

Regards Kerry Kilpin

Reviewed 6 March 2024 via mobile

The food was lovely, but unfortunately there was a stone in the arancini (easily big enough to break a tooth) and a 1 cm piece of cinnamon bark in the bread-and-butter pudding. We helpfully brought these issues to their attention as clearly they have a problem, and their response was a R40 reduction and two chocolate bonbons. A poor response and a disappointing experience

Management response:Responded 7 March 2024

Dear Muriel H
Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant and the complements on our "lovely" food
We are truly grateful for your feedback although you highlighted a few negatives we can use this to improve our service and strive to make the guest experience truly memorable at Bistro Sixteen82.
We strive at Bistro 1682 to make your experience as memorable as possible.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 3 March 2024

Enjoyable experience. The food was okay but not brilliant. The bistro was very full and I suspect that the kitchen was struggling a bit.

Service good and friendly.

We had a great table half inside, half outside.

Management response:Responded 7 March 2024

Dear Chriswick15
Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant and your complements on the friendly service. We sincerely apologise that we did not live up to your expectations

We strive at Bistro 1682 to make your experience as memorable as possible and look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful restaurant.

Regards Kerry Kilpin