“Excessively Expensive”

Foxcroft Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 47 Restaurants in Constantia
Price range: US$7 - US$17
Description: Eat Out San Pellegrino Chef of the Year Scot Kirton together with highly acclaimed La Colombe pastry chef Glen Williams to open an exciting new restaurant and bakery at the High Constantia Centre.
Reviewed 13 January 2018

Cost of a sit down dinner extremely expensive ..... tables are not even set well to justify such a cost .... portions small .... no service available inbetween lunch and dinner .... so unfriendly a place for the average person ... won't go there again or recommend it in any way ....a place for the well to do who don't mind being ripped off .... food good but not equal to the price tag

Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

When my husband and I first moved to Cape Town we decided to try and always eat from the Eat Out top 10. Special occasions have always been the only reason we eat out but we make a point of ‘going the whole hog’. So our Jan experience of Foxcroft’s was a let down to say the least. As our second time visit there, two things immediately irked us. The ‘two-sitting’ 6 or 8pm no other option and the change in price since we were last there. Up by 40%! Wine prices for ordinary wines were off the charts. Think R300 for a bottle of Warwick First Lady - quaffing wine!

Our waiter was very green. I estimate he still hadn’t received his matric results. He had some recommendations wrt the menu but as we ordered a variety, we agreed his recommendations were off the mark. When asked to bring salt to the table to add the the unseasoned venison his comment was ‘I add salt to everything,’ completely missing the feedback that the food was below par. Desserts were out of this world, but one expect that.

Given that it was R500 for 2 starters, main and dessert (and yes, tapas means these are bite size portions) plus extra for charcuterie platter to share, Foxcroft’s have got their pricing wrong and it ruins the whole dining experience, especially when it leaves an awful sick feeling in the pit of your stomach that you are getting ripped off.

Sadly, while we regularly eat out at ‘the best of them’ Foxcroft’s won’t see our repeat business. Nor will we be recommending them to friends. Good old Cape Town grapevine will hopefully give them a wake up call. They need it.

Reviewed 10 January 2018 via mobile

We stayed in Constantia for 4 nights at our second visit in S.Africa. After a very culinary first visit we struggled to find places that we haven’t been before that offer that fine dining experience. Foxcroft was certainly the right choice. Refined tastes worthy of Michelin star and beautiful presentation. We went for the tuna tataki which was the highlight of the evening and were very lucky to accidentally pair it with the most amazing light wooded Chardonnay from the Constantia Uitsig winery which is literally around the corner from the restaurant. The gamefish of the day and the cheese desert were also delicious. A 4 course menu and a bottle of wine will set you back about half the price for this quality of food and wine anywhere else in S.Africa and less than 1/3 from anything near it in London. Well done to the crew.

Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

I don‘t give bad reviews easily, but Foxcroft was unfortunately a really disappointing end of a culinary three week holiday in South Africa. After having eaten at some really fantastic joints throughout our journey - fancy one‘s like Beau Constantia, Pot Luck Club, Chef‘s Warehouse @ Maison or Delaire Graff Estate, but also down to earth stuff like Harbour House, the Fat Butcher or the Three Fig Restaurant in Sabie - we think we‘ve got quite a good overview of what you get and what you pay for in ZA. Tastewise Foxcroft was not only the blandest, but also very poorly cooked food in all of ZA. I had loin of Imapala as my main and one of the two slices was so tough and chewy that I even couldn‘t cut or eat it - something you really wouldn‘t expect at a place like this. Although not eating half of my main, service didn‘t bother to ask if everything was OK or I enjoyed my dish, which indicates that management is absent at Foxcroft. This leads me to the (open) kitchen staff, which seemed surpisingly unbusy for a full restaurant and even texting messages between preparing - maybe because of the uninspiring dishes? Some other lows of the menu included a pickled pear that tasted like pure vinegar, killing all other flavors of the dish, cold cuts tasting like cardboard and shampoo-inspired ice cream. On the plus side, dishes were nicely presented and good to take pictures of - which is unfortunately not enough for this price range and the aspiration of the restaurant. Summed up: Avoid this place, there are so many other great options in the region.

2  Thank yiddl
Reviewed 8 January 2018

My family invited me for my (belated) birthday diner and we went to Foxcroft and enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. The service was great and it was fun to watch the kitchen in action. On the recommendation of our waiter we shared the tapas starters (and the main courses). Everything was great with subtle flavours. My only criticism was the winelist, it is very expensive for a wine producing area.