“Great Monday specials but otherwise highly overpriced!”

Cape Town Fish Market (Tokai)
Ranked #429 of 1 292 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We visited the Steenberg branch for the Monday night specials. You can get either fish and chips or any of the basic burgers (beef, chicken or fish) with chips and onion rings for only R55 each. You can upsize the fish from 200g to 280g, increasing the price to R75, and you have the option of getting it grilled and with salad instead of chips if you want to go the healthy route. I had the fish option and my partner the burger. He really enjoyed his meal - the beef patty was huge. My fish was good but greasy, as it can get when the oil used to fry the fish is no longer all that fresh.

So that was mostly fine, but before we ordered that, we got the "seafood plank" starter to share. This is a highly overpriced starter and I would definitely not recommend it. For R104, we got two small snoek samoosas, two normal sized tempura prawns, and 5 small strips of calamari, with their accompanying sauces. At best, that "plank" was worth half that value. We have never ordered starters at CTFM before and would probably never do so again if that is the value we can expect.

Lastly - service. We had a lovely waitress but she did not quite seem on top of things. My boyfriend ordered the pepper sauce with his burger, priced at R10 on the special and was initially charged full price for it. Also, it was his birthday month and he has a loyalty card so he was owed a R100 birthday voucher which the waitress just redeemed from the balance of his card (actually money received as a gift when the card was bought for him) instead of giving him the extra R100 birthday voucher. Fortunately, we queried and management was very efficient in sorting out all of the above. And I previously was not given my 20% discount (for orders taken between 16h00 and 18h00 every day when you have a loyalty card) until I queried. So it is highly advisable to check your invoice before you pay!!!

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

We visited the Steenberg branch a week ago craving good old fish and chips. I used to frequent this CTFM but haven’t been for a while.
We ordered 2 starters and fish and chips for mains.
Fish and chips came beautifully presented in a crispy batter but OMG it tasted awful! Both my friend and I experienced the bad taste of the fish and the smell was disgusting.
The manager was called and he took the food back but never returned. After a long while the waiter was sent to offer us a complimentary coffee but no explanation about the fish.

May I recommend that the upholstery on the chairs be cleaned. We swopped ours for the leather/ seats as the fabric seats are filthy.

I was very disappointed and will definitely not be back.

Reviewed 8 March 2018

Have been to other restaurants in the chain so i thought that i knew what to expect. The restaurant was very clean and the welcome was as expected. However the meal was very disappointing. The Hake platter was more coating than fish with the exception of the fish cake which was excellent. My partner had a salad which she enjoyed. The waitress serving us was efficient generally although i had to go and find her when i wanted to pay. Generally a very uninspiring visit. Would i go again? Probably not.

Reviewed 2 March 2018 via mobile

I was a little worried because of the poor reviews on TripAdvisor. We were extremely happy with the quality of service and the food was delicious. Lovely setting for a family reunion - South African, Irish and American... we all agreed that this establishment gets a thumbs up recommendation.

Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

We had a Hake Platter and a Malay fish curry and shared them both. We really enjoyed our meal, and Barbra who was our waitress was a very lovely lady, and very helpful.