“Good view, poor quality,”
Review of San Marco

San Marco
Ranked #312 of 1 224 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Price range: US$4 - US$19
Cuisines: European, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Where Cape Town meets the world and the world meets Cape Town! The mother city's most famous meeting point and people-watching spot. An authentic corner of Italy offering friendly, efficient service and delicious traditional Italian fare served for breakfast, lunch and dinner. From beef carpaccio, chourico & peppadews in brandy with fresh basil, mussels in a creamy white wine sauce and Italian-style calamari to an array of meat and pasta dishes, fresh salads, huge stir-fries and mouthwatering gourmet panini sandwiches, including some popular vegetarian dishes. Also famous for their 16 Italian gelato ice cream flavors and genuine hospitality, to be found at the very heart of the bustling V&A Waterfront, South Africa's number one tourist destination and one of the most beautiful working harbor locations in the world. Enjoy an authentic Italian coffee and watch the world going by in a casual, relaxed atmosphere at this bustling Italian sidewalk café. Not to be missed...
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This venue seems attractive due to the nice view, but guests soon will get disappointed. Some dishes sold out, lasagne bad quality, noodles still hard, all dishes without any taste and the waiters only slightly interested in their job. Avoid this restaurant, in Cape Town you will find dozends of better italian restaurants.

DominicCon, Manager at San Marco, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Good morning, thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. I can assure that we strive to give all of our customers a fantastic and memorable experience. We would love the opportunity to host you and your family so we can show you the true San Marco experience. Contact us at EAT@SANMARCO.CO.ZA and should you still be in cape town we will invite you to have dinner with us. We hope to hear from you again.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Enjoyed a very nice dinner with my wife and daughter. Delicious sirloin steak with pepper corn sauce and excellent fries. Good place for people watching after an afternoon of shopping.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Nice busy atmosphere, bistro feel, and wow what amazing food - certainly the best lasagne i have had in a restaurant. Attentive staff - happy to recommend this restaurant

DominicCon, Manager at San Marco, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

What can I say, I had the creamy pasta (Penne Filleto) with the thinly sliced fillet steak and mushrooms (I opted for linguine instead of penne) and I've never quite tasted anything as good. A true signature dish that packed flavour and was moreish! I will go back for that again and again when I visit South Africa.
Brinsley, our waiter was a champ as well, considering I changed my drinks order 3 times. He kept that smile, was helpful and really attentive.
Visit this gem - there's clearly only one.

DominicCon, Manager at San Marco, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

Among the bustle of restaurants at the Victoria and Alfred wharf this one is tucked away in a corner but if Italian is what you’re thinking this is the best of the waterfront spots. I had the veal scallopine and it was fantastic. We shared the antipasto as a starter and the prosciutto was the best I have had here in SA. This was as close to real Italian food as I could find in SA. The service was outstanding but it was the food here that really made me take a moment to write this review.

DominicCon, Manager at San Marco, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago