“One of the most amazing meals of my life!”

Reverie Social Table
Ranked #2 of 1 294 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Price range: US$10 - US$75
Description: Join the Social Table for a totally unique dining concept. An eclectic space to eat, drink and be merry with some fabulous company. Table d' Hote style eatery with a set 5 course dinner, each paired with boutique wines from around the Western Cape. Perfect for the lone traveler, couple, friends and groups. It's a must try when visiting the Mother City!
Reviewed 30 April 2018

Picture a fun gathering of about 18 friends around a long table, with a chef hosted meal, wine pairings, and amazing, locally sourced food. That's Reverie Social Table!

During our recent stay in Cape Town the Reverie Social Table was a first stop. It does require a reservation, so we reserved before we left on vacation. We were the first people to arrive, and Chef/Owner Julia and her handy sidekick who's name i have forgotten greeted us like old friends and quickly filled glasses with wine and handed them to us. Next in the door was a couple that we didn't know, but turned out to be someone Julia did know and hadn't seen in ages. In all we had a group of 17 strangers from all over the world, who quickly became friends. And that (along with the outstanding food) is what makes Reverie Social Table such a wonderful place.

I can't remember exactly what was served but it was all awesome! There were even some things I don't usually eat (I am not a fan of fish generally, for example) and they were all wonderful. The menu changes and I am sure that everything Chef Julia makes is equally wonderful.

There are multiple courses and each one is served with a paired wine. The wines were just as wonderful as the food. Pacing was perfect, the evening ended later than I had thought and I didn't even notice, the time just flew by. Our new friends came from France, Australia, UK, US, Germany and Cape Town. One of the locals gave us tons of ideas of things to do while we were in town. It was truly a wonderful evening.

1  Thank dragonflydebbi
Julia_Hattingh, Owner at Reverie Social Table, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2018

Dear Debbi,

Apologies for such a late response but thank you so incredibly much for your kind words.
That was such a fun night- blast from the past with my high school teacher joining the table!
I am so glad you enjoyed your experience with us and I hope the rest of your trip was just as memorable!
See you in Cape Town again soon!

Reviewed 23 April 2018

Julia selects the wines and composes a five course meal around it. Do not expect gold-plated frog legs served in liquid nitrogen. The food is based on local „everyday“ products, prepared with love and passion. Not an intellectual exercise but a sensual experience. With each course you get a short introduction to the wine, the ingredients, the preparation and the idea behind it. The kitchen is open and Julia and her team are happy to explain you the secrets of decent cooking. Your task is to enjoy the symphony of tastes and to contribute your emotions to the social table.
Thanks Julia, team and all the fellow guests for the wonderful evening we spent at the reverie.

Julia_Hattingh, Owner at Reverie Social Table, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2018

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for such lovely words, it was an absolute pleasure meeting you and your wife. I am so glad you loved your Social Table experience with us and much as we did!
I hope you had safe travels and we will see you again soon!

Reviewed 20 April 2018

Our reservation began with a glass of wine poured upon entering. There were a total of 7 guests and one shared table. We were all introduced to Julia (the chef) and the other guests for the first 20 minutes or so. Once seated the wine offering were continued. Every wine and food course was explained by Julia as to the origin and the inspiration. The social table aspect was excellent and very enjoyable. The wine helps to calm everyone's nerves. After 5 brilliant courses and wine pairing, we were all content. After dinner, we continued to talk with our new friends and some of the kitchen staff over a drink. This experience was a highlight of our time in South Africa and I have already advised friends to reserve a spot.Thank you Julia and staff for a great evening.

1  Thank Chad H

Hello Chad,

WOW! That's some statement - and we're so totally ok with that! :)
It was lovely meeting you and your sister all the way from the US, I hope you both had a super amazing time in Cape Town and that it won't be the last- see you guys again soon!
Spread the word back on that side of the Atlantic...

Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

This is an experience and a half. I loved every second of it even though there was a electrical short and we ended up eating by candle light. You sit all at one long table and you get to socialize with all fellow dinners ( what a superb idea). Everything was excellent.....from the food to the wine pairing to the amazing service. All I can say is go go go go....you won't be sorry.
I will be a repeat customer.

Julia_Hattingh, Owner at Reverie Social Table, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Dear Tracy,

Thank you for joining our Social Table - it was a pleasure meeting you and having you guys celebrate Gabbi's special day.
Even with the dramatics of the evening, it turned out to be soo much fun!
I am so glad you enjoyed yourselves! Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to having you back again soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Hands down the best lunch venue in Cape Town. Well priced and always fresh and interesting menu items. Well done Jules ;)

Hello Simon,

Thank you for your review. Reverie would not be where it is without our fabulous regulars like Manuella and yourself!
Thank you for the continuous support. (hold thumbs for #1)