“Extensive menu ”
Review of Beluga Restaurant

Beluga Restaurant
Ranked #114 of 1 227 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 9 April 2017 via mobile

My previous visit in September 2016 was extremely disappointing (and well below what I had previously experienced at Baluga) for a number of reasons, ranging from the delay in getting our table to the quality of the food and service.

Following this I emailed the restaurant and raised my concerns. They responded immediately and invited me back in order to make amends. I took them up on their invitation last week and my friends and I had a very pleasant evening with great sushi & sashimi.

Thank you to Amber for going out of her way to turn a negative experience into a positive one!

Write a ReviewReviews (2 176)

192 - 196 of 2 176 reviews

Reviewed 8 April 2017 via mobile

The service was very pleasant and the ostrich was excellent. Well prepared and very flavorful. Went with the tour group last night and food was good, but it was very noisy. Creme brulee was outstanding.

Reviewed 8 April 2017

This large restaurant is in a warehouse type building on the block behind the Protea Marriott Hotel. Indoor and outdoor seating. The restaurant was busy the two times I visited, but it didn't disappoint. Our waiter was very friendly and professional. Try the Kingclip. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 2 April 2017

Great and uncommon location.
Courteous service, delicious food and wines including south african specialties

Reviewed 1 April 2017 via mobile

Cocktails and dim sum were excellent but we ordered from the summer menu and were terribly disappointed with our meals.

The crispy duck was tasteless. We complained to the manager. I told the manager that the duck tasted as if it had been boiled and deep fried. I asked him how it had been prepared and he said it was sous vide then steamed and lastly deep fried. He said that an Asian spice marinade was used but I tasted no spices at all. I expected a spicy crisp skin as the thai and Chinese restaurants serve but this looked like deep fried chicken pieces. There was no honey glaze. There was no spicy skin. There was only overcooked duck without flavour. The gravy that was served with the duck was bland as well.

The manager suggested that we order something else so he removed the duck from our bill and we ordered sushi instead.The prawn tempura sushi had cold tempura prawn on top of a bland and tasteless prawn California role (we requested prawn California instead of the standard tuna they usually serve).

The beef ribs on the summer menu were better than the duck but the portion size was small and the meat was dry - perhaps it had been trimmed of its fat.

The fried prawn wonton was brilliant. As were the chicken potsticker and cocktails. This restaurant is my go to place for a good quality meal with an Asian theme at a decent price. It used to have a nice upmarket feel to it but that seems to be dwindling along with the value for money you used to find here. Table cloths are stained, napkins have to be requested, portion sizes have been reduced and there's a definite drop in quality as well. I hope that they'll eventually realise that improvements have to be made. I think that the type of patron Beluga targets would be willing to pay higher prices for better quality food.

1  Thank Clyde P