“Still a good choice in Cape Town”
Review of Beluga Restaurant

Beluga Restaurant
Ranked #105 of 1 294 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 15 January 2017

I have reviewed this excellent (near) Waterfront restaurant several times over the years and it has been consistently good. This is more of the same.

Fewer tourists find Beluga than its former sister restaurant Sevruga, which is actually on the Waterfront. It is popular with CT locals. Situated in an old foundry, with outdoor seating in the old yard as well, it has a good atmosphere and is normally packed when we go. Quieter this time however.

My staples are the Miso crusted Kingklip and the deboned beef ribs. Both are great. Staff are good and we like the atmosphere and food. One further plus now – the courtyard seating is non-smoking, so you can taste your food, not some idiot’s second hand smoke!

Write a ReviewReviews (2 219)

306 - 310 of 2 220 reviews

Reviewed 15 January 2017

Set in the perfect little square we sat outside having had a drink at the bar waiting for a table. The service was excellent, the staff moving around the umbrellas to keep us in shade. We had the Crispy Chilli Fish and the Tuna both of which were cooked to perfection. Great atmosphere and probably our favourite restaurant of the trip. Our friends had the Angry Chicken Curry which we all tried and it was another winner.

Reviewed 11 January 2017

I first visited Beluga in 2010. It was *the* place to be and I was really pleased to get a reservation during my trip to Cape Town. It was a real 'event' meal. The experience was amazing: the service was excellent, the food was outstanding, and the buzz was was intoxicating.

Seven years later and Beluga is a shadow of its former self. I was shoved into a side area of the restaurant for my reservation, despite the main area being empty., A TV in the corner was showing a football match, like you'd find in a corner pub.

Our starters arrived suspiciously quickly and the prawns were chewy and clearly not very fresh. The mains were an improvement in terms of their flavour, but they were presented unattractively - reminiscent of a school dinner.

We were so disappointed we didn't stick around for a dessert; it simply didn't feel like the same place I'd visited seven years ago. Rather than being a big event meal, it just felt like popping down the road to the local pub for a bit of grub. Not terrible, but just not very exciting.

4  Thank jonmbee
Reviewed 11 January 2017

I've always enjoyed this restaurant for dinner and drinks every time I come to Cape Town. Its easy to get to and has a lovely environment, always busy and the staff are friendly. It has a nice atmosphere both inside and outside so a great place to start the holiday on the day you arrive. Booking a table in advance always helps, of course!

Reviewed 11 January 2017

Beluga is one of my favourite restaurants to visit. Their sushi and fish are up there with the very very best. Staff is professional and service is really great. And to top it all, their cocktails are absolutely divine!