“Just like any resto in the VA Waterfront”
Review of Beluga Restaurant

Beluga Restaurant
Ranked #112 of 1 252 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 22 November 2016

Our group had dinner in this restaurant on our last night in Cape Town. I noticed that almost all eating places in the area offer the same menu. I had Beef carpaccio and it was good; Beef ribs which was tender. Chocolate truffle cake was my dessert. The service was quite fast compared to the other restaurants where we dined.

1  Thank apsphilippines
Write a ReviewReviews (2 196)

336 - 340 of 2 196 reviews

Reviewed 22 November 2016 via mobile

Had dinner outside in a great place. Piazza surrounded by old factory style building.
Very good service, smiling, professional, fast
Extensive menu, and good wine list

Food was very good. The seared tuna was perfectly cooked and very tender

Great spot for a relaxed dinner

Reviewed 20 November 2016

So this was a very strange evening. Never experienced something like this before. All due to our waiter. We ordered a bottle of chenin blanc, but he kept pushing the chardonnay. Because that bottle was 200 rand more than the chenin blanc, we stayed with the last one. But it was very hard to convince him. I mean, can I please make my own decision? So finally he left our table to get the chenin blanc. So we thought, because after 10 minutes (our starters were already on the table) he came back with... yep, the chardonnay. Again we had to convince him that we didn't want that wine. Finally a collegae came to the rescue and got us the right bottle. When unfortunately our main courses were rare instead of medium, we went straight for the check. We didn't give any gratitude, as we weren't happy at all. We did explain the waiter about the absence of a tip. That's where he decided not to talk to us anymore. Maybe it was only the waiter, but to us it was a very bad experience. Sorry.

1  Thank Patrick H
Reviewed 20 November 2016 via mobile

Is Beluga a trendy gem or another fine dining restaurant that lost it's appeal among the less commercial eateries popping up all over Cape Town?

Before my last visit to Beluga the 'foodie' culture has only slowly been introduced and the big 'to be seen at' fine dining restaurants was all the rage. Having a Sunday lunch at Beluga after many years has definitely answered this question.

Times has changed and so has the culture amongst locals and tourists alike. Fine dining will always have a place in the world, but can an establishment go from 'all the rage' to barely making a 'check-in' on Facebook? Yes.

I remember enjoying an incredible meal at Beluga back in 2010, but after this past Sunday my views on the establishment has definitely changed.
To say that Beluga is a restaurant trapped in the past, in times when it was all 'that' is a sad realization.

Eight of us decided on lunch at Beluga for two reasons, the infamous sushi special and good seafood. Everybody ordered cocktails, sushi, dim sum and fish. Service was good, the waiter was friendly and our food came out after a reasonable time. I have to admit, Beluga's quality of food and drinks has not changed. The items on the menu has definitely gone up in price, but what do you expect in South Africa's crippling economy.

The restaurant has seen better days in terms of the number of patrons, but that could also just be circumstantial. Lack of patrons could mean one of three things, bad service, bad food or just middle of the month slump. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Our food was tasty, well prepared and well presented. The chef made special sushi for me as I enjoy my vegetarian sushi, something Beluga does not make or sell allot of. Just the fact that the chef went out of his way to accommodate my dietary requirements is a big plus in my book.

Even tho we had a great lunch with good service it was nothing special. We were expecting that Beluga-hype, but had a normal relaxing Sunday lunch. Nothing to write home about or worth 'checking in', but also not worth discrediting.

All in all, it was a good Sunday, good food and a good experience. Would I go back? Yes definitely. Would I be going back to experience the legendary hype? Definitely not.

The establishment has done well for itself and their recipe for success is working. Unfortunately with so many other restaurants popping up, one cant seem to stop and wonder how many years Beluga has left before it's forced to reinvent itself or close it's doors.

1  Thank Carl F
Reviewed 20 November 2016 via mobile

Come for the special on sushi! 1/2 priced sushi in the early evening and all day Sunday. Very good service and the food is top quality. All so nice that I came for dinner two days in a row.

The beignets were a bit heavy but the creme brûlée was just right. Try the Devil's Peak beers for tasty local brews.