“Mother's Day Visit”
Review of Pigalle Restaurant

Pigalle Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 1 226 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Well-known as the perfect venue for a stylish evening out, we offer guests live entertainment from our dance floor alongside superb dinner courses. Renowned for our fresh seafood and Chalmar steak, our menu comprises of classic dishes with a subtle Portuguese flair. Including a spacious cigar lounge and private dining room our venue is versatile as well as suitable for private functions.
Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

Our Portuguese friends from Cape Town made a reservation on Mother's Day for lunch. My Portuguese wife was excited to visit one of the top restaurants in Cape Town, especially since it was Portuguese. With high expectations, we arrived for an outstanding Mother's Day meal.

The restaurant is nicely decorated and came complete with live music. The service was fantastic. The food was very good, however, not great, as we had anticipated. I have eaten in many Portuguese restaurants, many of which are in Portugal. Pigalle was very good relative to other Portuguese restaurants, however, it was not outstanding.

I had the prawns and lobster that were grilled maybe a bit too long. The sauces were a bit on the rich side, and accordingly, a tad overwhelming. The Piri Piri sauce was weak. This was classic and traditional Portuguese food at best.

Make no mistake, this is a very nice Portuguese restaurant, however creativity is lacking. I believe the menu is dated and the chefs are in a rut.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 162)

172 - 176 of 1 162 reviews

Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

To be fair I will devide my review into the pro's and cons, as to be honest I am still so angry after yesterday's experience.
As a worldly traveller I have visited restaurants in almost every city in the world and today "MOTHER'S DAY" at Pigalle Cape Town has fallen very short of my expectations.

The pros. This is an elegant restaurant - a little old, maybe needs a bit of a revamp but 8/10 for atmosphere. Live band playing most enjoyable!
Waiters are friendly and appear to have no attitude.
The food is good but certainly not great.

Now the cons. And unfortunately the last thing left on my plate.

1. We arrived, were seated and handed bread. Sliced in a basket with a doiley - bit old school first class, but what annoyed me was the table that sat next to us 5 min later were given hot bread almost like a mini garlic loaf.... looked yummy and they could not have ordered as that was not on the menu. Incosistantancy?

2. We were seated what appears to be in the kids corner far from the centre near smoking balcony. Fancy a whiff of smoke every 5 min with your meal? All the tables near bathrooms and the balcony appeared to have kids. We had an 8 year old who is probably more cultured than some 50 year olds but felt we were placed in this spot due to "kids".

3. The wait between courses was way too long. 1 Hour to get the starter then another hour having to wait for mains. When we were finished our mains we waited possibly 30 min for a waiter to fill our empty wine glasses. I still had wine on ice but no one came or was in sight. Generally right after main course one gets offered a desert menu or tea/coffee. After being unattended to for so long we got up and left. And I must say throughout my meal I had to constantly look for a waiter to top me up.

4. In all fairness we were told by the waiter that the duck is a work in progress but how many fine dinning restaurants have Pekin Duck in Cape Town so none the less tried it. It was duck two ways and neither way complimented the other both served dry and overcooked - very dissapointing. Escargot and carpaccio and scallops well done lovely. Lamb shank 7/10 was good certainly not stunning.

All in all I was very upset with the lack of service, at least the waiter was friendly (when I saw him or her could not figure out who our waiter was...). The duck on the menu to put it lightly is crap. Why put things on the menu if they are still being perfected? I would expect it's already perfected or if not to remove it from the menu totally.

To be fair R2k is not a lot for 4 for a Mother's day meal, however my Mother's day experience was ruined and left a bitter taste in our mouths and feel there is much better value to be found in the Mother City.

The entire experience was ruined unfortunately by this as we ended up waiting so long for a waiter that we simply got up and walked to reception to pay our bill. Read a lot of reviews online and they are mostly good but unfortunately all the negative ones I have to agree with.

Be aware, very aware visiting this establishment when they are busy as you will wait forever and get overcooked food. If you want to visit here rather try a quiet week night and maybe your service will be better. I don't think I would recommend Pigalle or visit here again as I feel there is much better establishments in and around Cape Town that offer a better culinary experience with much better service!

1  Thank Rob A
Reviewed 14 May 2017

Pigalle Restaurant is like an old fashioned night club but with more light. Excellent service, fresh sea food with a server who not only knows her menu but was able to make spot on recommendations based on our tastes. The front desk person accommodated us even though we did not have a reservation. We were made to feel comfortable in an establishment that clearly caters to locals. All in all, it was a wonderful experience.

Reviewed 8 May 2017

Pigalle offers a fabulous combination of delicious seafood combined with great on stage entertainment. The service was fantastic and considering what is on offer the prices are very reasonable. If you are a seafood lover I highly recommend the mixed seafood platter for two (although it could feed five!).

Reviewed 7 May 2017

we had dinner with friends here , service was great and food were excellent , there was entertainment at night . would come back again .