“Soon to be Loaves by Madame Baker - Jewel of a Find”
Review of Loaves on Long

Loaves on Long
Ranked #176 of 1 194 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Description: Small bakery/coffee shop serving breakfast and lunch. We pride ourselves in serving good quality food at reasonable prices. Whether you join us for a meal, a baking class or just a cup of coffee on the deck... we will be sure to make it an extra special occasion.
Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

I was pulled in by the artistic writing of their logo. What a pleasant surprise. We just required a small bite and split the beef sandwich she recommended. It was so good we left with a brownie and muffin for later. Shaved cured beef, crisp, fresh artisan bread, cheese, ginger, rocket (greens-arugula), tomato, onion, and a balsamic based sauce. Delicious. Seek her out. You won’t be disappointed.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 16 June 2018

We strive for fairness and objectivity here on TripAdvisor, but that may not be possible in this case. I have perhaps too much a sentimental attachment to this place, but here goes…

What I’m comparing it to: cafés/coffee shops/brunch spots in major cities.
If you’ve never been on Cape Town’s Long Street, it is a fairly long stretch of cafés, bars, shops and things in between lying between The Southern Sun Cullinan Hotel (where I stayed) and Table Mountain. Most bars and restaurants utilize their upper balconies as well, allowing the views and opportunities to take in the city in a way that Hemingway and Henry Miller would have appreciated. One of these such establishments is Loaves on Long…

While I spent 10 days in this city, I unfortunately did not discover this place until Day 9, which was particularly annoying since it was geographically closer than any other place I spent time in during my stay. I came here during the daytime—perhaps just past 70 degrees Fahrenheit, no wind or rain and the most ideal of days. I walked in to chocolate cookies, brownies, muffins and extensive coffee/latte menu (there’s quite a coffee house scene in this city). It was only then I noticed an “upstairs” with an indoor seating area (hard wood floors) that allowed a lot of sunlight and an outer balcony. I sat outside…

I sat outside for a while, looking for excuses to stay longer. A mocha, a brownie, a sandwich, etc. I wondered in a strange way I had bothered to eat lunch elsewhere during my days there. Even from the top of Table Mountain, no view surpassed this one in terms of being a window to how the city functioned. I wondered in a strange way I had bothered to eat lunch elsewhere during my days there. Was the food great? No, but it was pretty good, and that was enough given the setting. The following morning, I was scheduled to leave on a bus to take me to the airport at about 10am. I took a final walk and ended up here. I had the same server as the previous day—he was a little surprised since I had previously told him that yesterday was my final day, but I now told him I had time for one more visit. It was a weekday, and thus there was still somewhat of a rush hour traffic passing through Long Street. Everything was the same as the day before—nice weather, no wind or rain. My last time there was the same as my first time there, and perhaps it will be that way when I return there someday.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 22 May 2018 via mobile

Perfect spot post visa appointment! Fresh coffee and delicious croissants. Fabulous friendly service

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

Stopped for a late lunch when they were cooking over coals out the front. It was a great stop, great fresh bread and a nice cheap eat. Nice relaxing atmosphere

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 1 May 2018

Very nice coffee and breakfast though should've asked how I liked my eggs; not everyone is a fan of sunny side up! There is a short term parking spot outside for you to catch your uber when relaying on WIFI like I was

Date of visit: April 2018