“Creative Cuisine in a Cozy Atmosphere”
Review of Savoy Cabbage

Savoy Cabbage
Ranked #20 of 1 196 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: African, Contemporary, International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Enjoy creative contemporary cooking in a visually exciting venue. With its historic Table Mountain stone and old brick that dates back to the 18th century, architect Leon Saven's design is complemented by glass, concrete and exposed ducting. Cabbage motif chandeliers and salt dishes, fine table appointments and impeccable service reflect outstanding attention to detail. The menu alters daily, using the freshest local produce and combines unusual flavours to excite the palate of the discerning diner. Free range organic and ethically sourced ingredients. Allergies catered for. A boutique wine list which is very reasonably priced.
Reviewed 17 March 2017 via mobile

This was our first visit to Cape Town and since we are New Yorkers, we can be rather picky critics. Not much to complain about here. The chef is incredibly creative. Vanilla and grape gazpacho with a red granite in the middle. Beautifully grilled impala which literally melts in the mouth. An excellent "twice-cooked" cheese soufflé and a perfectly prepared fillet which was too big for me to finish. My friend, a South African, enjoyed the grilled warthog which he said was excellent.
I would love to come back because there are so many other tantalizing starters and entrees to try.
The wine was a Nativo 2009, a wonderful Pinotage blend from a wine list that contained many wines under $50.
Service was quick and professional but we were not rushed in any way. Our table was upstairs, one of many around the small bar and overlooking the entrance. There is another room downstairs but I preferred our location.
All in all, a delicious dining experience.

1  Thank Corn1789
Write a ReviewReviews (1 045)

78 - 82 of 1 045 reviews

Reviewed 16 March 2017

Having visited this restaurant over many years, I have to report that the last visit was very disappointing. Food was unispiring, overcooked and the presentation rather lazy. Service was ok but read this: We started by ordering two glasses of sparkling wine and the bartender, less than 5ms away from us, just let the glasses sit on the counter. The waitress was busy, he was not, but he did not think about bringing the glasses over to our table. So I got up and fetched them myself. No reaction or excuse from the barman who just watched me! Unbelievable! We then ordered the second most expensive bottle of red wine and before we could drink it, it needed 20ms of chilling. Answer from the waitress: Our wine racks are in a place that is much too warm! So then go and change it! I am sorry to say that I will not come back to this restaurant which is sad to say.

Savoyowner, Owner at Savoy Cabbage, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2017

Dear Hans

It is always upsetting to get a poor review, especially from a regular customer whose return business and opinion we value.

The barman pours the drinks but the waiters are responsible for collecting them and delivering them to the table, unless the waiter specifically asks him to do so. The waiter will know who ordered what, if, as on many occasions, the choices are different.

Our red wines are under air conditioning but I am afraid we lack the space for more advanced cooling facilities. We can always decant and put on ice ntil we get a temperature that suits your palate.

Usually great care is taken in plating. Even if we are very busy, it should never be compromised because the eye eats as much as the mouth and it is your first contact with the food so should always deliver the wow factor.

When you are next in Cape Town please contact me personally and I will ensure you your next meal with us meets your highest expectations.

Reviewed 7 March 2017

Slightly more formal than some CT restaurants , but horses for courses. If you want to dress up to eat ,there is nothing better in the city.Went twice and each time a great pleasure. The waiters really are wonderful. They have clearly been tutored well by Caroline and add to the experience. Interesting menu with SA influence. We took the liberty to recommend the Savoy Cabbage( always a risky business) to two very seasoned elderly travelers who were staying at our hotel.We were informed that it was their best meal whilst staying in Cape Town We look forward to returning next year.

1  Thank a20hol
Reviewed 7 March 2017

As occasional visitors to Cape Town it was good to revisit one of our favourites. This restaurant has a great atmosphere in an historic building which at one time was on the waterfront. The menu was varied and accommodated the vegetarians in our party. The wine list selections were well balanced and well priced and the service first class.
To top our evening, the food was absolutely lovely and the cheese souffle !!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank Andrew S
Reviewed 6 March 2017

on of the best lamb I ever had! In Cape Town a must!
High quality of the food (with a very honest bill)!

1  Thank Davide A