“Outstanding Gaspacho!”

Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: African, Contemporary, International
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Enjoy creative contemporary cooking in a visually exciting venue. With its historic Table Mountain stone and old brick that dates back to the 18th century, architect Leon Saven's design is complemented by glass, concrete and exposed ducting. Cabbage motif chandeliers and salt dishes, fine table appointments and impeccable service reflect outstanding attention to detail. The menu alters daily, using the freshest local produce and combines unusual flavours to excite the palate of the discerning diner. A boutique wine list which is very reasonably priced.
Reviewed 3 March 2017

Stylish and informal ambience, short but inventive menu. The Gaspacho soup could be the best I ever had, and the blesbok entree was also outstanding. This was the best meal we had in Cape Town.

1  Thank Igor G
There are newer reviews for Savoy Cabbage

57 - 61 of 1 013 reviews

Reviewed 28 February 2017 via mobile

We celebrated my husbands birthday at this wonderful restaurant. SADLY it's not mentioned in S.A.'s top ten restaurants. The food was excellent, prepared to perfection accompanied by great service. We will definitely visit this restaurant again.

1  Thank sessni g
Reviewed 26 February 2017

Occasionally, one comes across a fantastic restaurant and this one is a case in point. We contacted them telephonically and I could hear that they were trying really hard to accommodate our request for a table for two. If we arrived at opening time (18:30) they could accommodate us, as they would be fully booked later in the evening. So we duly arrived on time, and were shown to an upstairs table, with a view of the lower dining area. This is not a new building, it is a very old building and despite having some modern facilities such as air-conditioning, one can see that they have taken the decision to display the old brickwork and older elements of the building, totally charming.
The waitress who was assigned to our table was delightful. She was warm and friendly and knowledgeable about what was on offer that evening. This restaurant work on the principle of designing their menu on a daily basis, depending on what fresh produce is available.
As starters, we ordered the following dishes,
“Beetroot Salad with Orange, Fennel, House-made Labnah and Horseradish dressing.”
“White Grape and Almond Gazpacho with a Red Gazpacho Granita”
And as mains we ordered,
“Grilled Kabeljou with Risotto Nero, Seaweed Tapnade, Saffro emulsion and Seaweed foam”
“Herb-crusted Lamb Rack with Cromesqui, Creamy Haricot Beans, Celeriac Puree and a Cherry sauce.”
I finished off with a Crème Brulee.
Well, I have to say that the food served to both of us was exquisite. This is fine dining at the top end of the scale. For me, my hero dish was the Gazpacho. Made in the traditional way, this was a dish from heaven. But all of this food was absolutely top class.
I went to chat to the Chef and asked if I could have a copy of the menu, and the Chef gave it to me, with a signature and a short comment, which just added magic to the entire experience. Peter Pankhurst, the Chef, is obviously at the top of the game and he also has a sense of humor as well. His comment, “May the Sauce be with you”. What a wonderful experience. If you don’t go to this restaurant in Cape Town, you will be denying yourself an extraordinary culinary experience.

1  Thank Silliusmillius53
Reviewed 25 February 2017

Savoy Cabbage is locztd between the City Bowl and the Bo-kaap. It offers great food and service, a little bit on the expensive side, but has a great atmosphere.

1  Thank NorbertW
Reviewed 21 February 2017

We enjoyed a delicious dinner in this lovely restaurant. The whole experience was excellent and enhanced by our first rate waiter, Michael (I think). He guided us throughthe menu, offered helpful suggestions and brought us tastes of wines before we ordered a bottle, Every course was first rate. The tomato tart was fabulous as was my husbands almond and grape gazpacho....the perfect way to sttart. Our main courses were equally good and we couldn't resist a desert at the end. Presentation was fantastic too. It was our best meal of this week long visit to Cape Town.

2  Thank Judek34