“worth every penny!”

Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: African, Contemporary, International
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Enjoy creative contemporary cooking in a visually exciting venue. With its historic Table Mountain stone and old brick that dates back to the 18th century, architect Leon Saven's design is complemented by glass, concrete and exposed ducting. Cabbage motif chandeliers and salt dishes, fine table appointments and impeccable service reflect outstanding attention to detail. The menu alters daily, using the freshest local produce and combines unusual flavours to excite the palate of the discerning diner. Free range organic and ethically sourced ingredients. Allergies catered for. A boutique wine list which is very reasonably priced.
Reviewed 29 December 2015

This was my 5h or 6th visit to Savoy Cabbage, one of my favourites in Cape Town. The simple but tasty tomato tarte was so god as a starter that I ordered it again for desert! The gemsbock (oryx) carpaccio could have been sliced a bit thinner, but tasted well, as did the kudu loin and the yellowfin tuna which came rare and just melted on my tongue. The staff is helpful and very friendly, the value for money excellent. Eating on the gallery is fun, but it can get a bit sticky up their. And the red wines are served a bit on the warm side which is not too good for the somewhat alcoholic South African wines. Again, thanks fro a great evening and we are happy to be back when next in town.

1  Thank HansM1959
There are newer reviews for Savoy Cabbage

216 - 220 of 1 014 reviews

Reviewed 29 December 2015

My partner and I (mid-20s couple from UK / Germany) visited Savoy Cabage in November 2015. We had booked in advance, were called to confirm our confirmation on the day, and everything went smoothly when we arrived. The staff were very polite and helpful throughout, and were able to order us a taxi back to our hotel afterwards, which arrived promptly.

We had a great experience at the restaurant. The menu was great value considering the amount of food we received, the breadth of options available (the Kudu main course and the zebra starter were fantastic). There was also an extensive wine list which we very much enjoyed. Again, the staff were very helpful at suggesting options.

All in all, this is a great option if you're around Long St and would like a very good, not-too-expensive, and non-tourist-trap dinner!

1  Thank Steve C
Reviewed 28 December 2015 via mobile

This small but quaint Resturant is excellent. Food and service excellent. Pleasant find! Food was different with fresh ingredients with a different twist. Definitely worth it!

1  Thank Rula A
Reviewed 28 December 2015

I think this is the third time we have been to Savoy Cabbage and we will certainly go back again. This time I started with the beetroot salad (much more complicated than it sounds and really well balanced) and my wife had the chicken liver parfait. Then I had the kudu loin and my wife had the seared tuna. Both excellent.

Not a cheap meal, by South African standards, but really excellent for a special occasion - in this case, the last night of our 3 weeks in South Africa before returning home to England.

Service was very good and you can see that the couple who manage the place work hard to make sure that everything is perfect. The atmosphere is interesting: a sort of rough brick on the walls but modern in every other respect.

1  Thank David M
Reviewed 25 December 2015

You have to go there if you are a Food-Lover. Very good and sophisticated South African dishes with excellent wines.
Good staff as well!