“Oozes atmosphere”

Savoy Cabbage
Ranked #23 of 1 142 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: African, European, International, Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Enjoy creative contemporary cooking in a visually exciting venue. With its historic Table Mountain stone and old brick that dates back to the 18th century, architect Leon Saven's design is complemented by glass, concrete and exposed ducting. Cabbage motif chandeliers and salt dishes, fine table appointments and impeccable service reflect outstanding attention to detail. The menu alters daily, using the freshest local produce and combines unusual flavours to excite the palate of the discerning diner. A boutique wine list which is very reasonably priced.
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Oozes atmosphere”
Reviewed 9 March 2015

First of all...book ahead and ask for a table upstairs(tables of two).Arrive early and have a snifter at the bar(again upstairs). That will get you off to a good start.
Varied menu with a good selection of African fare. Zebra,Impala and Warthog for example. Nicely presented and served by knowledgeable waiters. Good inexpensive wine list. All in all a nice relaxed evening.
The price? Drinks before together with a bottle of Elgin 282 and three courses each...ZAR 1000....good value we thought.

• Visited February 2015
1 Thank a20hol

Stellenbosch, South Africa
“Disappointing after reading good reviews.”
Reviewed 8 March 2015 via mobile

I liked the decor and feel of the restaurant, with the open style kitchen.
The host and hostess ( the owners I guess) were excellent as we're all of the staff who were well trained very polite and who knew the menu very well.
A great start you might think?
Unfortunately our table was at the bottom of the stairs in front of the kitchen.
We has wine boxes stacked next to us and opposite us under the stairs, it felt like we were sat in a storage room.
Such a shame when they had gone to so much trouble with the decor in general.

The food was disappointing, I chose the Home smoked Norwegian salmon which didn't taste smoked, it was very bland and needed a lot of seasoning to be added.
For the main I chose the Kudu Loin, as I was told that they were known for their game.
The meat was very tender, but lacked the game flavour you would expected from Kudu (perhaps it's was farmed?), it was also very bland and again lacked seasoning.
The mushroom purée, just did not work and was tasteless as were the mustard spatzle which tasted of nothing and were a big part of the dish.
The most flavoursome thing on the plate were the berries in the sauce.

We didn't even attempt to have dessert.

Visited March 2015
Manchester, England
“Fine dining at a very reasonable price!”
Reviewed 7 March 2015

Love the name of the restaurant and the Tripadvisor reviews inspired my husband and I to book a table for dinner whilst on a recent holiday to Cape Town. We were not disappointed - the food, wine, atmosphere and service were all first-rate and you would expect to pay at least 50% more in the UK for a similar dining experience. Highly recommended!

Visited February 2015
Bath, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable”
Reviewed 6 March 2015

Nice ambiance, tables a little close but still very nice. Good service, excellent choice of wines and menu varied. great for all occasions. Not cheap but food quality excellent.

• Visited March 2015
London
“Good, could be much better”
Reviewed 6 March 2015 via mobile

This is a good restaurant, having visited a couple of times in the past few years, I have come away each time with the same feeling.
The location, design, ambience etc are all excellent. The food is well presented and cooked, yet somehow the plates don't ever seem to quite work for me.
They are quite innovative, but yet to me, like the wine list, they seem to have a sort of pretentiousness that I just can't like, despite quite wanting to.
Don't get me wrong, you shouldn't be put off by my review if you are willing to give it a try, but its just that I don't think this restaurant justifies a place in my top 20 in Cape Town, which is setting a pretty high bar that on my estimation it doesn't achieve.