“Amaizing”

Price range: US$30 - US$33
Cuisines: African
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Africa Café offers a multi-cultural dining experience. Since 1992, chef Portia has been creating food infused with African soul and passion. Experience an exotic tapestry of flavours that will take you on a journey from North to South. Housed in an historic national monument, the restaurant is divided over 3 levels and 7 richly decorated dining rooms.
Reviewed 26 October 2017

the place is amazing, the food fantastic, they serve 14 different dishes and the African culture, you can repeat the ones you like, food for all tastes, traditional local, vegetarian, excellent

Reviewed 16 October 2017

I went because I heard the restaurant was very good. When I arrived alone, the lady in the reception told me that there was no reservation under the name I was indicating (which I an understand if there were complete) but she didn't even allow me to enter and see if the rest of my table was there. When I ask if I could connect to the wifi network to call a taxi, she said no (I am a woman and I was alone, it is no surprise that the city is dangerous for a girl at night so that's why I was asking internet only to ask for my taxi), when I asked if there were other restaurants around, she just said 'no' (when actually there was one next to ....). These places are for tourists and they should help tourists if needed not to deny a 1 minute wifi, what was the harm on that? I just wanted to ask for a taxi to drive me safely to the hotel!

Reviewed 9 October 2017

The place is beautiful, people are very friendly and ready to explain everything about your dish; all seasoned with traditional songs and dance during the dinner. Also the cost is absolutely balanced. The only problem is the extremely huge amount of food that they will bring to you (the menu is fixed, you can't choose) so you can't try all the dishes (or maybe you can, but only by leaving a lot of food on the table) which is a real waste especially considering that we are in Africa!

Reviewed 7 October 2017

We visited Africa Cafe after recommendation by our concierge.

Whilst obviously aimed at the tourist market it didn't feel 'manufactured'. From the minute you enter and throughout the meal the staff are welcoming, happy and communicative.

In simple terms this is a 14 course tasting menu, combining a variety of dishes from across Africa. Whilst chicken, lamb, lentils, chickpeas and fish may be common on your plate at home, the flavours, spices and sauces that they are cooked in are a wonderful change. Leave your 'conservative' choices at home, sit back and enjoy the variety and flavours that are brought to your table.

And while you eat, be entertained by the wonderful singing and drumming performed by the waiting staff.

A really interesting culinary experience and one I'd recommend to any CT visitor.

Cost was about 500R per head including drinks.

Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

Great food with wonderful different African flavours. African singing and dancing by the waitrons also very nice.