“Excellent ”

Carne
Ranked #43 of 1 288 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

Delicious capers and Auvergne terrine for starters followed by exceptional lamb ravioli, simple but yummy vegetarian penne, and hearty steaks with a great choice of sauces and sides. The wine list is great and desserts were divine. Try chocolate pot and tiramisu. Service was very attentive. All around a great experience

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

Let me start off by saying that I love steak. When my travel group organised dinner, I must admit I did not know anything about the restaurant and the 'hype' surrounding it.

When I turned up, I loved the atmosphere! We had a very large group so were split into two groups. We were small enough to order individual meals. I was so excited when the waiter showed off the different cuts! We tried a few entrees such as the carpaccio and a few salads. Delicious! And then came the main. I had a beef sirloin cooked medium and it was perfect!

The wine list was also fantastic. Some people who had the set menu didn't have the same experience, but that does not sway my opinion of it. I loved carne and will definitely come again!

Ps. Also good for gluten free options!

Reviewed 30 June 2017

Superb Steaks. Recommend the chefs special. Excellent wine list. My only concern is that it can be a bit noisy.

Reviewed 30 May 2017

I live in South Africa and perfectly know the unparalleled quality of South African meat. I am Italian and, since the owner is an Italian chef I expected to get the best of both countries. I gave this place two possibilities in 2 years. Meat ( carne ), the reason of being of this restaurant, is so disappointing, and it makes no sense. We had my family as guests last night with us. We had a fiorentina and a rump steak ( tomahawk ), the latter was impossible to chew, fiorentina was a little better, but still poor. South African meat is something else. We left almost all of it cause we kept chewing and chewing.....What we buy at the supermarket is much more tender. And cheaper!! But the worst part is something that made me furious: we spoke Italian at table, maybe they thought we were tourists, so when the bill arrived, my dad insisted to pay, he added 10% of tip but made a little mistake, the tip was slightly lower, a few rands, the tip was around 300zar anyhow.. The waiter takes the credit card, looks at the tip and says " Maybe you made a mistake, this is not 10%, you should change this " ( it was 9.7% ) Tips are usually 10% or more, if you liked the service, which was good but we had an horrible dinner. Very embarrassing, it never happened to us that a waiter complained for the tip in that way. He made us change the tip to the amount he liked and then accepted the payment. Shame. Unacceptable. This alone could kill the good name of a restaurant. It killed it for me and my family at least.

1  Thank Linda O
Reviewed 28 May 2017

Meat is always good in South Africa, well at most places...
In Carne i had this amazing dry-aged T-bone steak, grilled to perfection, with the fat melted away, making it very tasteful.