All reviews wild fig fig tree restaurant reward points separate tub and shower save water nice lounge stayed nights at this hotel easy access road noise main building egg station minute drive a lovely place to stay hotel is located rooms are large an excellent hotel nice stay
Reviewed 28 December 2017

This hotel excelled from the moment we checked to our departure 4 days later, the suite we had was spacious and comfortable with its own lounge area and a small kitchen with microwave. The breakfast in the morning was well above average. I consider this hotel one of the best I have stayed in the last 10 years.

Room Tip: Choose a suite, it comes at a very reasonable price.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 November 2017

We were aware that this was a Marriott Category 1 hotel but as we were traveling for 28 hours all we wanted was a clean place to sleep and breakfast in the morning. We were very pleasantly surprised with our lovely "apartment". Our rooms were very clean and our bed was very comfortable. Our Porter brought us to our room and showed us the amenities he was very professional.

We had an excellent breakfast buffet in the morning and we were very refreshed for our first African experience.

I would recommend the hotel as it is very peaceful in the heart of town and a good value.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2017

I loved the rooms, the restaurant service was great. However, on arrival, i asked about the hotel to confirm I was at the right place. One of the front desk clerks said no. Am not sure if this was a prank or not. The following morning, on my way past the reception from breakfast, i was accosted by the front desk clerk who wanted to check if I owed money and if I was going to check out - her explanation was people often left without paying. In my 20 years of living abroad, I had never been treated like a potential criminal even in the whitest of European countries. To have this happen to me on African soil left a very sour taste in my mouth. I will definitely tell UCT not to place a visiting professor in this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 November 2017

I was in Cape Town for a seminar, and we were put up in the Mowbray Protea Hotel for a night. I must admit, while I had seen photographs of the hotel online, I was more concerned with how the hotel was managing the water crisis currently gripping the city. The hotel itself is lovely and the suites are spacious and quiet. Water usage is managed by means of a little shower rock that flashes either green, orange or red, to help you minimise/control your water consumption. The greater part of the responsibility is up to the guest though. The restaurant at the hotel is great as well, and definitely worth trying too. All in all, a lovely and comfortable place, that's close enough to everything you need to see while there. It's just super important that guests work with the hotel to save water wherever possible.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

Nice lounge to chill in after a day of exploring. If you don’t want to go out for a meal there is a nice kitchenette. Rooms modern, nice and neat. Note only a shower in the one bathroom, and bath in other; toilet and basin in both. Bathrooms more three star. Breakfast was very homely with a smaller dining hall than the bigger hotels. Almost more a boutique hotel feel. Decor very much in keeping with the Cape Dutch decor in dining area and hotel reception. The breakfast room staff were very friendly and attentive. Overall a nice stay.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family