All reviews wild fig category hotel main building has reward points close to the airport stayed nights at this hotel nice lounge on site restaurant save water welcoming hotel road noise easy access egg station three star bed was very comfortable minute drive a lovely place to stay
Reviewed 30 November 2017

We were aware that this was a Marriott Category 1 hotel but as we were traveling for 28 hours all we wanted was a clean place to sleep and breakfast in the morning. We were very pleasantly surprised with our lovely "apartment". Our rooms were very clean and our bed was very comfortable. Our Porter brought us to our room and showed us the amenities he was very professional.

We had an excellent breakfast buffet in the morning and we were very refreshed for our first African experience.

I would recommend the hotel as it is very peaceful in the heart of town and a good value.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2017

I loved the rooms, the restaurant service was great. However, on arrival, i asked about the hotel to confirm I was at the right place. One of the front desk clerks said no. Am not sure if this was a prank or not. The following morning, on my way past the reception from breakfast, i was accosted by the front desk clerk who wanted to check if I owed money and if I was going to check out - her explanation was people often left without paying. In my 20 years of living abroad, I had never been treated like a potential criminal even in the whitest of European countries. To have this happen to me on African soil left a very sour taste in my mouth. I will definitely tell UCT not to place a visiting professor in this hotel.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 16 November 2017

I was in Cape Town for a seminar, and we were put up in the Mowbray Protea Hotel for a night. I must admit, while I had seen photographs of the hotel online, I was more concerned with how the hotel was managing the water crisis currently gripping the city. The hotel itself is lovely and the suites are spacious and quiet. Water usage is managed by means of a little shower rock that flashes either green, orange or red, to help you minimise/control your water consumption. The greater part of the responsibility is up to the guest though. The restaurant at the hotel is great as well, and definitely worth trying too. All in all, a lovely and comfortable place, that's close enough to everything you need to see while there. It's just super important that guests work with the hotel to save water wherever possible.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

Nice lounge to chill in after a day of exploring. If you don’t want to go out for a meal there is a nice kitchenette. Rooms modern, nice and neat. Note only a shower in the one bathroom, and bath in other; toilet and basin in both. Bathrooms more three star. Breakfast was very homely with a smaller dining hall than the bigger hotels. Almost more a boutique hotel feel. Decor very much in keeping with the Cape Dutch decor in dining area and hotel reception. The breakfast room staff were very friendly and attentive. Overall a nice stay.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

I had an excellent stay at this pleasant hotel which is housed in a Dutch colonial building.

The rooms are tastefully decorated and blend modern and historic elements like an exposed dry wall. Secure parking and WiFi are available at no extra charge.

The genuinely friendly service also sets this hotel apart. Harrison was very attentive and helpful at breakfast when I decided to move outside to the terrace and he kept coming back to bring tea and water.

The breakfast buffet was excellent and featured an egg station and a wide choice of hot meat and vegetarian options. Home made muffins and muesli as well as fresh fruit and tea/coffee made to order were also available.

Also, the lovely team at reception - Fese, Pam and Adrianne - did their best to make me feel welcome.

The location is somewhat remote but easily accessible with a hire car and actually a good starting point to explore the Cape Peninsula (Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens is only 10 minutes away, so is the V&A Waterfront).

Date of stay: October 2017