“a very difficult assessment”
Review of Pesce Azzurro

Pesce Azzurro
Ranked #380 of 1 206 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 March 2017

great food (except the panna cotta which needs adjustment ), terrible service, among the worst i have experienced in my whole life. lack of attention , lack of training .white wine not in a bucket, pasta scoglio where we had to ask for a plate for the shells , everything "on demand". in addition in one of the hottest days of the year no air con . overall black of interest in customers. pity since the talent in the kitchen gets lost in all of this .will be back, but in winter, with 36 degrees outside inside it must have been even hotter

Reviewed 11 March 2017

I have been to this restaurant many times and have enjoyed it very much. But last Monday we arrived at 7pm and left 2 1/2 hours later very disappointed. The antipasti were almost all delicious. I had inquired in advance if they could accommodate one of the four of us who is vegetarian and they said yes. The first waitress talked about grilled vegetables and marinara sauce. We thought we were okay. She obviously didn't tell anyone else about our discussion because what was brought was gnocchi with a heavy cream sauce and NO vegetables. The rest of us had pasta with seafood, which was okay but not great. The service was poor throughout and we could not get anyone's attention to pay our bill. I do not plan to return for a long time, if ever. It's a shame because this chef really can cook well.

1  Thank SS1172
Reviewed 9 March 2017

This restaurant was recommended to us by Italian friends last year and we have been back a few times. Everything we have ever ordered at Pesce Azzuro has been great particularly the fish and seafood pasta. Service very pleasant and a nice atmosphere there. You will be happy with this restaurant!

2  Thank gatisdelux
Reviewed 5 February 2017

Nice venue in up and coming Woodstock.
The major strong point of this restaurant for me is that it's not a southafricanised version of Italian food.
The ingredients (fish and seafood mainly, hence the name of the restaurant) are high quality, expect to wait a little as this is not a fast food chain producing restaurant, but the result is really good food.
One of the few places in Cape Town where you eat al dente pasta like in Italy.
Booking essential well in advance.

1  Thank TravellingLaura1970
Reviewed 26 January 2017

We were invited by some friends and asked to choose the restaurant. I have heard about this restaurant from a number of people. On receiving the invitation and request, I immediately reserved a table for 4. Later I checked Trip Advisor and became a little apprehensive as there were quite a few reviews which raised concerns of slow service. Nevertheless we adventured, forewarning my hosts, but they were comfortable as we had some catching up to do. We ordered drinks and that arrived promptly as ordered. A good wine list well priced and some wines by the glass. I really enjoyed the Jordan Chameleon. We chose a Tapas Starter of 5 dishes and here we were exposed to the range of flavours that the chef produces - all excellent. The starters did not take long to arrive. The aubergine Tapas was excellent. The main courses consisted of beautifully cooked Yellowtail in a Tomato Sauce. One of the guests ordered a Pasta with fish and I had the grilled baby octopus which was absolutely outstanding served with a potato mash infused with basil pesto. Since most of the Trip Advisor reviewers spoke highly on the Panna Cotta, we ordered 3 portions and a portion of Grandma's recipe of Tiramisu, good but not the best. The Panna Cotta was outstanding. The mains did take a while to arrive. The support service lacked urgency. A request for a paper napkin and water did take very long however if you want flavour and compromise on slick service you wont be disappointed. After 15 minutes of arriving we were informed that the coffee machine had broken down and in the event we wanted coffee after our meals there wont be any. I thought that was a nice touch. There is also great value. I would certainly go back!

2  Thank Jaqui D