“New menu, but old favourites still there -- best of all: DOG FRIENDLY!”

The Hungry Herbivore
Ranked #224 of 1 288 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Deli
Description: The Hungry Herbivore is a vegan eatery focusing on healthy comfort food and drinks ranging from breakfast to pizza. It boasts a range of meals with gluten free offerings as well as raw and baked desserts and snacks. All ingredients are fresh, locally sourced and mostly made in house or at our gluten free production facility.
Reviewed 23 June 2017

I've been back twice to The Hungry Herbivore in the past month.

Earlier this month my sister and I were hungry enough at 5pm to head there for an early dinner. It was perfect cos there was a parking spot right outside, and at that time it didn't matter that the restaurant was empty -- we had no expectations of needing a cheery place. It did, however, fill up slowly while we were there.

I ordered my favourite: the kimchi burger on greens (no bun), and it was delicious! We also shared two slices of raw pizza, which were equally delicious. My sister really wanted a raw cake and ordered the vegan cheesecake with caramel (I think it's a date puree). She absolutely loved it; I wasn't as enamoured: the "cheese" tasted too much like a vanilla pudding and I think they use a sweetener instead of sugar, so I didn't like the flavour.

My husband and I went back today for lunch, with our dog! A big Labrador. No problem at all. They have a sign up that says pets welcome but must remain under the table and not disturb other diners. Fair enough. We brought a fleece blanket for our dog and he was happy to sleep on his blanket under the table (we made sure we had a table for 4 -- their tables are rather small!). It was a lovely atmosphere during lunch although it is rather chilly inside and I had to ask them to close their back door cos there was a very cold draft coming in.

I'm not really sure what's new throughout the menu, but I did notice they no longer have the two-slice raw pizza no salad, which is a pity! You now can only order one slice with salad (salad not really necessary since the pizza is all salad topping!), and then pay extra for a second slice. The prices have also gone up a little. They've added a curry to the mains section, which is a "curry of the day". Today it was red Thai curry with chickpeas. It costs R105, and for that price I was expecting something special. It was not really that nice. And the plate was small when compared to the Protein Bowl or the burger with salad. And they seemed to have confused it with an Indian curry by serving it with a tomato and onion relish, chutney, and a poppadum, which did not go with the Thai curry. The poppadum was delicious, but the curry tasted like the ground spices hadn't been cooked enough. And I had to ask them to reheat it cos it was lukewarm. It was most unsatisfying, although it was filling. I regretted not ordering the burger!

They still get a high review because dog-friendly is a definite plus for me! And that burger, well, I will going back for that! Clearly others love it, too, cos I saw two on the counter and another on the table next to me.

To end the meal I ordered the mocha (coffee and cocoa) with almond milk. I asked that no sugar be added. It was delicious!

The Hungry H, General Manager at The Hungry Herbivore, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2017

Hi there,
Thank you for your detailed review. We have taken all your points into consideration and will work on all the slightly less satisfying aspects mentioned. :)
Thanks for the support & we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 22 June 2017

seems the place to go for vegans, but as a non-vegan, i did not like it . it looks like they are trying too hard to pretend they can get the same taste ...

Hi there,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you were not happy with what we offer. Perhaps one of our other meals would be to your satisfaction :)
Have a great day :)

Reviewed 19 June 2017 via mobile

I ordered the burger less bun with kimchi and sweet potato fries. It was lovely but I would have preferred the dressing on the side as it kind of smothered all the flavours. The dessert - blueberry cheesecake was heavenly and not too sweet. My "cleanse" juice was delicious and not too green or too sweet but just right!
I found the noise level a bit too loud for my liking but I guess that's inevitable with an open plan restaurant and kitchen.
I like the decor as it's not typically "hippy/vegan" but rather more minimal and with great furniture and light fittings. By the way I am not a vegan, but I follow a gluten, dairy and sugar free diet for health reasons.

Hi there,
Thank you for your lovely review and for the support. :)
We are glad you enjoyed the experience and we have noted your view of the dressing being on the side. :)

Reviewed 30 May 2017

Not a sight you may think appealing but absolutely delicious vegan pizza and cheese cakes! I would highly recommend a try! Bring own booze - they do not serve

Hi there,

Thank you for the review as well as your support! :)

Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

Just ordered food to take away.
The burger is really good and a big portion. I took it bunless with a salad and the sweet potato fries - would recommend it.
The carrot cake is a nice dessert.

Staff was friendly. Nice seating area.

Hi there,

Thank you for the lovely review as well as your support! :)