“Amazing 7 day camping safari in Botswana!”
Review of Acacia Africa

7-Day Small Group Kruger and Victoria Falls Safari from Johannesburg
US$1 956,27*
19-Day Overland Desert Tracker Tour from Cape Town
More attraction details
Owner description: Acacia Africa offers value for money Overland & Small Group Safaris, Adventure tours, Treks and Private Day Tours in Southern and East Africa. We operate tours and safaris with passion and over two decades of experience, ensuring high standards allowing us to grow successfully in a socially and ecologically responsible way. Owner managed team and dedicated guides guarantee passionate attention to quality.
Reviewed 5 September 2017

The highlight of our entire traveling experiences ever. By far the most amazing tour/safari we've ever done. Incredible staff who are super knowledgeable, kind, and helpful. Amazing food, perfect itinerary, great prices & overall life-changing experience! Couldn't have booked with a better tour company.

1  Thank ChristineDanger
Sabine_Acacia, Manager at Acacia Africa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

Dear ChrisineDanger

Thank you for taking the time to review your tour. We are so pleased to hear the experience exceeded your expectations and hope to see you travel with us in Africa again.

Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

Just got back from my two week safari through South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Botswana with Acacia. My parents and I took the Southern Africa Magic tour and we all absolutely loved it! Simply a magical experience and I would not hesitate to use Acacia again. The value of the trip for the money was quite a steal compared to most of the other companies out there. Really makes Africa an affordable destination!

Itinerary:
One of the best parts about this tour was being able to see all the major highlights of Southern Africa! Absolutely every stop had something of value to offer. Be aware that there are some very long driving days, but it was worth it to see more of the country and get to hidden gems that I'm sure the bigger and fancier companies do not cover. Our bus was quite spacious and comfortable with large windows and great air conditioning, so the long drives weren't an issue. Was also a good way to bond with the rest of the group. Some of the hidden gems were the game walk in Matobo with Andy where we came about 20 feet from white rhinos and the village walk in Gweta where we were able to talk to the local people and see how they lived. Even the rest and lunch stops were an excellent way to experience local culture. For example, on the road to Polokwane we stopped at a beautiful farm to table restaurant where I discovered the most unbelievable skincare products. Absolutely every game drive was spectacular! We got so close to virtually every kind of animal and it was magical every time. All the local tour operators and guides were extremely impressive. Some other highlights were the whitewater rafting and lion walk in Victoria Falls, our experiences in Chobe National Park, and the horseback riding in Maun. I loved this tour because I felt like it gave us an authentic experience of Africa while still seeing all the tourist highlights. My parents and another woman's mother are all in their 60s and were able to participate in absolutely every activity, so don't hesitate to do this tour if you're a bit older or traveling with your parents!

Guide:
One of the main reasons why I was so impressed with this tour was our guide, Simon. I've traveled all around the world on tours and he is definitely one of the best guides I've ever had. He kept everything perfectly organized and had the tour planned down to the minute. Simon was also extremely friendly, helpful, and incredibly knowledgeable about African history. I can't say enough about how comfortable we felt with him guiding our trip; he was completely willing to go out of his way in any respect to make sure we had a good tour. I'm vegan and he made sure that there was a suitable food option at absolutely every stop for me. Additionally, Simon had an issue with getting his passport renewed during the trip, and he told us that he might have to leave the tour early. Instead, he traveled all the way to the capital and back with two nights of no sleep to sort out his passport and rejoin our tour! I was so impressed with his dedication to his job, and the issue had absolutely no impact on our tour. In Simon's absence he left us with Sam, another guide, who I was equally impressed with.

Lodging:
I was actually pleasantly surprised with how nice all the lodges were on this trip; was definitely going into it expecting more rustic accommodations. We stayed at small lodges or hotels that were very authentic to Africa. Don't expect anything luxurious, but if you have no issue with standard low-priced chain hotels in the US you should be totally fine. Typically the rooms were basic, with twin beds and small/medium sized bathrooms. There was wifi at virtually every lodge. I was very impressed at how clean and well-kept all the lodges were. Staff was generally friendly and helpful.

Food:
I'm vegan, and was extremely worried about the food on this tour. But really had nothing to complain about! Simon did a fantastic job of making sure there was always a vegan meal available for me. Meals on the road were more difficult, but there were always stops for chips and snacks. If you're a picky eater, bring two boxes of your favorite snack bars and you'll be fine. Some of the lodges had downright unbelievable food like Nsele, where Olaf's wife cooked an amazing brai for us. At other lodges the food was not so great, but was never inedible. We got to order off the menu at a number of the lodge restaurants, and there were always safe options like pizza and pasta that were quite tasty.

Overall, if you go into this trip with an open mind and no expectations, I guarantee you will have a wonderful time. Go with the flow! This trip is NOT for high-maintenance people. Don't try to dress fashionably or wear makeup every day. Just relax and have fun. Don't always expect to be on time or for everything to be a picture-perfect vacation. Some things that you'll see are not beautiful, but will teach you a lot about culture and history. The activities, especially involving animals, that Africa has to offer are simply magical and will create the trip of a lifetime! The people are also some of the friendliest you'll ever meet, so don't hesitate to smile, ask questions, and make new friends. I feel like African people can find joy in anything and truly value everything they have in life; tourists especially from the United States can learn a lot from these cultures. Just go to Africa; you will love it and want to return again and again!

1  Thank violingirlamanda
Reviewed 26 July 2017

My wife, sister, and I took the Southern African Magic tour with Acacia traveling through South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Botswana. The price was reasonable, as were the prices of the extras that we paid for in some of the locations on the journey. Having traveled to Tanzania where I booked safaris on site, I have learned that many companies charge outlandish prices, but I did not feel this way about this trip with Acacia. It is possible that I could have arranged a trip for a little less money on my own, but it would not have been worth the hassle, and I don’t think that the trip would have been as good as it turned out to be. Virtually every day on the trip was nothing short of spectacular. We had encounters with rhinoceroses on foot, camped in tents on the Okavango Delta, went on adventures in Kruger, Matoba, Chobe, and Victoria Falls national parks, the Rondavels and Blyde Canyon area of South Africa, a number of wildlife preserves, and we took boat rides on the Zambezi and Chobe rivers, and a fantastic pole-driven canoe ride in the Okavango. As extras, all of which were worth the additional money, we walked with lions, rode elephants, horses, flew in a plane over the Okavango and a helicopter (over Victoria Falls), and we had great culinary adventures, including a traditional boma dinner in Victoria Falls. Sitting five feet away from a family of meerkats near a salt pan was as unforgettable as being approached by a bull white rhino while on foot in Matoba NP. There was a minor unintentional error made in regard to a charge for our transportation to and from the airport, but Acacia was quick to refund our credit card with an apology. Our guide, Simon, was wonderful and he bent over backwards to make the trip the great adventure that it was. The bus that we traveled in was quite comfortable as was all of our lodging. It may be the luck of the draw, but I enjoyed the company of everyone who accompanied us on the tour and found them all to be intelligent and friendly, which is something that I found quite refreshing after some of the experiences that I have had on cruises in past. I speak Arabic, Urdu, and German, and had a great time putting those languages to use with some of our fellow travelers. This was, of course, something that could not have been anticipated or arranged, but it did heighten my total experience. My wife declared that this was the best trip that we’ve ever taken. Considering that we have made amazing trips to Europe, Alaska, Hawaii, Tahiti, South America and Easter Island, Egypt, China, New York, and a Mekong River cruise, I’d say that was saying a great deal. I wouldn’t hesitate to take another trip with Acacia, and may consider doing so in the future.

3  Thank JohnH94
Sabine_Acacia, General Manager at Acacia Africa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2017

Dear JohnH94

Thank you for taking the time to post this lovely review. We are pleased to hear our team exceeded your expectations and that you and your family had such a great time on tour. I'll be sure to pass your compliments on to both Simon and Roxy as I'm sure they'll be pleased to hear their hard work was appreciated. We hope to see you in Africa again!

Reviewed 8 July 2017

We started our tour in Cape Town then headed towards Cederberg then all the way up to Swakopmund. Our tour guide, Pete, was INCREDIBLE and driver Ben was awesome too!! They were both so inviting We were unsure what to expect with the food, but were pleasantly surprised with how good it was and well portioned. I HIGHLY recommend this company and this tour. I wouldn't go with anyone else after how good of an experience I had.

Sabine_Acacia, Manager at Acacia Africa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2017

Dear Shelby W - thanks so much for taking the time to post your review. Ben & Pete will be thrilled to hear their hard work was appreciated and you had such a great tour with them. We look forward to seeing you on the road again!

Reviewed 25 June 2017

I took the tour with Acacia to Zimbabwe and Zambia. The Guide Justin and Khumboo did the excellent job. Food for the camping nights are more than 5 stars restaurant.
Very Yummy!!!! Great experience for camping.

1  Thank beautyking2017
Sabine_Acacia, Manager at Acacia Africa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2017

Dear Beautyking2017

Thanks for the lovely review and the compliments to Khumbu and Justin! We hope to see you travel with us again soon.

Regards