“Southern African Magic (Accommodated)” 4 of 5 bubbles

and up
7-Day Small Group Kruger and Victoria Falls Safari from Johannesburg
Ranked #108 of 324 Tours in Cape Town Central
More attraction details
Owner description: Acacia Africa offers value for money Overland & Small Group Safaris, Adventure tours, Treks and Private Day Tours in Southern and East Africa. We operate tours and safaris with passion & two decades of experience, ensuring high standards allowing us to grow successfully in a socially and ecologically responsible way. Owner managed team & dedicated guides guarantee passionate attention to quality.
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Southern African Magic (Accommodated)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2017

Trip of a lifetime!
Our group of 3 women traveled with Acacia Africa in August 2016 on their small group safari, Southern African Magic Accommodated. We cannot say enough good things about our tour. Our tour leader, Lawrence, was attentive, knowledgeable, and had a good command of the English language. Our safety was his main concern and we were thankful for that. Our tour group consisted of 12 travelers, ranging in age from 25 to 67 and women outnumbering men 9 to 3. Our tour began at the cozy Safari Club SA in Johannesburg. The Safari Club is located in an industrial area very close to the airport. We found all accommodation on the tour to be comfortable with some lodges even having pools. The food served at the lodges was delicious and plentiful and gave us the opportunity to sample some local cuisine. Thank you for selecting lodges with local colour and flair. It brought us closer to the African people. Our itinerary included the main game parks and tourist sights in South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana. Yes, there were long days on the road but it gave us an opportunity to get to know our fellow travelers better. It was the perfect balance of travel, sightseeing and downtime. My only recommendation to Acacia would be to upgrade their minibuses. Ours broke down twice which resulted in 4 hour delays each time hence the very good rating as opposed to excellent.

Thank you for your informative website which helped us select the perfect tour. I have no hesitation in recommending Acacia Africa to other travelers.

Visited August 2016
1 Thank hsterghi
Sabine_Acacia, Manager at Acacia Africa - Day Tours, responded to this review, 3 February 2017
Dear Hsterghi

Thank you for taking the time to review our Southern African Magic Small Group Safari. We are so thrilled that you and your friends had a memorable trip with us, and will pass your compliments on to Lawrence.

We are in the process of updating our vehicles and are pleased that you and your friends had an amazing time despite the delays experienced.

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Best Experience Ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2017

I did the 43 day trip from Kenya to Cape Town and it was the best thing I have ever done. The trip covered so many highlights its hard to even narrow it down to which ones were the best! The trip started off with a bang at Masai Mara and then on to Serengeti, then you get a nice little break in Zanzi Bar and Kande Beach. Then to Livingstone for adrenaline activities such as Devil's Pool and Bungee. Then to the Okavango Delta followed by the Namib desert and then to the beautiful city of Cape Town. This is just a nutshell but there is a lot more activities involved at all the places.
The thing that made the trip incredible was our tour guide Rachel and truck driver Sam - they are the perfect team and made this experience unforgettable. The truck Tana was really comfortable and didn't give us any problems. The food was delicious on the trip and I have come back putting on weight - thanks to Rachel.
If you have your doubts about camping - just DO IT! It is not bad at all, the camp sites you stay on are all really nice and the shared facilities are clean and you usually get a hot shower. The camping experience makes the trip a whole lot better than doing accommodated. If you do get tired one night and feel like you want a bed you usually have the option to upgrade if there is a room available and you are willing to pay the excess.
I would happily book another tour with Acacia, it was very organised and completely blew my expectations out of the water.
Thank you for giving me the experience of a lifetime.

Visited December 2016
Sabine_Acacia, Manager at Acacia Africa - Day Tours, responded to this review, 30 January 2017
Dear Tej_Chau

Thank you for taking the time to let other's know of your great experience! Don't forget to share your pictures with us via our social media platforms for extra 'brag' value ;)

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“19 Day South West Safari - best tour I've ever done!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2017

Just come back from the 19 Day South West Safari from the Vic Falls (Zambia) to Cape Town. This is a camping tour in an overland truck for 18 - 39 year olds.

I thoroughly recommend this route if you don't have time to do Uganda to Cape Town. We seen so many different landscapes like the jungle in Botswana to the sand dunes in the Namib Desert. I went to Africa with no expectations for what animals I was going to see as I didn't want to be disappointed if I didn't see them... oh boy, was I impressed! We seen over 100 elephants (Botswana has the highest population in Africa), countless Zebra, Giraffe, Hippos, Lion, 7 Rhinos (people who had been on the tour since Kenya hadn't even seen one yet), Buffalo + so much more. The only animal we didn't see was a Leopard, but they are really rare and remember this is the wild, no sighting is guaranteed!

Our driver Sam and tour guide Rachel are both two of the nicest people I've ever met, both from Kenya. They were so informative, like two books of knowledge about everywhere our tour went and the countries we visited. Rachel is a fabulous cook, it was like eating at a fine restaurant every night. They were the best guide's I've ever had, out of all the tours I've been on over the world.

Overall - we are going back to Africa next year to do East Africa and I wouldn't even consider a different tour company to Acacia for a second. The overall efficiency of the company, overland trucks. equipment, meals provided, itinerary and PRICE were all outstanding. I put a lot of research into all the overland companies before booking and Acacia has the best trucks, food reviews and value for money. My boyfriend and I paid something like £1,400 (including the adventure pass) and couldn't actually figure out how Acacia made a profit from that... it really is great value for your money, considering the costs of all the food you eat, accommodation you stay at, cost of running the truck and buying new equipment, wages for your driver and guide and entry fees into all the amazing national parks you visit and activities that are included on the tour.

Acacia also doesn't encourage you or force you to tip anyone along the way like some tour companies do, they didn't even mention the word tip the whole tour. I did a Contiki tour once and after been asked to tip every single local person involved with our tour along the way, at the end he guide gave us all an envelope and said "people usually give me $50, if you don't give me $50 i'll know you think I did a lousy job." - there was none of this pressure from Sam & Rachel (so of course we all gave them a nice big tip at the end because they were so awesome, which they were so humble and grateful for).

Tip - the mattresses provided can get pretty sticky with the humidity. I highly recommend taking a flat bottom single sheet or large sarong to put under your sleeping bag!

Tip - do the sky diving in Swakopmund - best experience ever!

Visited January 2017
Dear Kate

Thank you for the great review! We're thrilled you enjoyed your tour and are coming back again next year. Don't forget to claim your loyalty discount when you do!

Kiev, Ukraine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Super Experience with Acacia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2017

I just came back from a 7-day small group accommodated tour from Johannesburg to Vic Falls with Acacia Africa. This was one of my best travel experiences ever. The itinerary is great and allows to see all the main highlights along the route. We were able to see four out of the big five - just because leopards are very difficult to spot during the day. We stayed in very nice places and the lodges/guesthouses/hotels were nice and clean. Our tour guide, Lawrence, was incredible - with great sense of humor and making sure everybody's interests are met. He was great in creating a true family spirit within the group despite that the composition of the group was changing along the way. All local tours in the national parks were also great, provided a lot of information and did a great job to take us as close to animals as possible. At some point we were as close as 5 meters to white rhinos. Oh, and the food was amazing! I didn't expect steaks, nice big salads etc. included in the package. If I ever decide to take another tour in Africa, Acacia will be my go-to company. Well done! Absolutely would recommend to other travelers.

2 Thank Liza B
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“BEST TOUR EVER!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2016 via mobile

I did a 14 day overland from Vic Falls to Johannesburg including Mozambique and it was the best two weeks I ever spent! We saw all the attractions you could ever want to see and had plenty of time to do our own exploring if we wanted to. There were plenty of opportunities to do our own activities and have as much fun as we could.
The camping facilities were amazing! Tents and food provided. Eat the food was amazing. Cooked breakfast every morning and dinners to die for.
Our tour leader Shingi was the most enthusiastic person I have ever met and is really knowledgeable, helpful and flexible. (We love you Mama). Our driver Jairos was equally lovely and drove our bus amazingly on the bumpy roads of Africa.
I would definitely recommend this tour for 18-30 year olds and is a must do adventure.

2 Thank weesiepie