“19 Day South West Safari - best tour I've ever done!”

Acacia Africa - Day Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
US$1 030,77*
and up
7-Day Small Group Kruger and Victoria Falls Safari from Johannesburg
Ranked #112 of 331 Tours in Cape Town Central
More attraction details
Owner description: Acacia Africa offers value for money Overland & Small Group Safaris, Adventure tours, Treks and Private Day Tours in Southern and East Africa. We operate tours and safaris with passion & two decades of experience, ensuring high standards allowing us to grow successfully in a socially and ecologically responsible way. Owner managed team & dedicated guides guarantee passionate attention to quality.
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“19 Day South West Safari - best tour I've ever done!”
Reviewed 28 January 2017

Just come back from the 19 Day South West Safari from the Vic Falls (Zambia) to Cape Town. This is a camping tour in an overland truck for 18 - 39 year olds.

I thoroughly recommend this route if you don't have time to do Uganda to Cape Town. We seen so many different landscapes like the jungle in Botswana to the sand dunes in the Namib Desert. I went to Africa with no expectations for what animals I was going to see as I didn't want to be disappointed if I didn't see them... oh boy, was I impressed! We seen over 100 elephants (Botswana has the highest population in Africa), countless Zebra, Giraffe, Hippos, Lion, 7 Rhinos (people who had been on the tour since Kenya hadn't even seen one yet), Buffalo + so much more. The only animal we didn't see was a Leopard, but they are really rare and remember this is the wild, no sighting is guaranteed!

Our driver Sam and tour guide Rachel are both two of the nicest people I've ever met, both from Kenya. They were so informative, like two books of knowledge about everywhere our tour went and the countries we visited. Rachel is a fabulous cook, it was like eating at a fine restaurant every night. They were the best guide's I've ever had, out of all the tours I've been on over the world.

Overall - we are going back to Africa next year to do East Africa and I wouldn't even consider a different tour company to Acacia for a second. The overall efficiency of the company, overland trucks. equipment, meals provided, itinerary and PRICE were all outstanding. I put a lot of research into all the overland companies before booking and Acacia has the best trucks, food reviews and value for money. My boyfriend and I paid something like £1,400 (including the adventure pass) and couldn't actually figure out how Acacia made a profit from that... it really is great value for your money, considering the costs of all the food you eat, accommodation you stay at, cost of running the truck and buying new equipment, wages for your driver and guide and entry fees into all the amazing national parks you visit and activities that are included on the tour.

Acacia also doesn't encourage you or force you to tip anyone along the way like some tour companies do, they didn't even mention the word tip the whole tour. I did a Contiki tour once and after been asked to tip every single local person involved with our tour along the way, at the end he guide gave us all an envelope and said "people usually give me $50, if you don't give me $50 i'll know you think I did a lousy job." - there was none of this pressure from Sam & Rachel (so of course we all gave them a nice big tip at the end because they were so awesome, which they were so humble and grateful for).

Tip - the mattresses provided can get pretty sticky with the humidity. I highly recommend taking a flat bottom single sheet or large sarong to put under your sleeping bag!

Tip - do the sky diving in Swakopmund - best experience ever!

Visited January 2017
Sabine_Acacia, Manager at Acacia Africa - Day Tours, responded to this review, 30 January 2017
Dear Kate

Thank you for the great review! We're thrilled you enjoyed your tour and are coming back again next year. Don't forget to claim your loyalty discount when you do!

Regards,
Sabine

Kiev, Ukraine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Super Experience with Acacia”
Reviewed 8 January 2017

I just came back from a 7-day small group accommodated tour from Johannesburg to Vic Falls with Acacia Africa. This was one of my best travel experiences ever. The itinerary is great and allows to see all the main highlights along the route. We were able to see four out of the big five - just because leopards are very difficult to spot during the day. We stayed in very nice places and the lodges/guesthouses/hotels were nice and clean. Our tour guide, Lawrence, was incredible - with great sense of humor and making sure everybody's interests are met. He was great in creating a true family spirit within the group despite that the composition of the group was changing along the way. All local tours in the national parks were also great, provided a lot of information and did a great job to take us as close to animals as possible. At some point we were as close as 5 meters to white rhinos. Oh, and the food was amazing! I didn't expect steaks, nice big salads etc. included in the package. If I ever decide to take another tour in Africa, Acacia will be my go-to company. Well done! Absolutely would recommend to other travelers.

Visited December 2016
3 Thank Liza B
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“BEST TOUR EVER!”
Reviewed 29 December 2016 via mobile

I did a 14 day overland from Vic Falls to Johannesburg including Mozambique and it was the best two weeks I ever spent! We saw all the attractions you could ever want to see and had plenty of time to do our own exploring if we wanted to. There were plenty of opportunities to do our own activities and have as much fun as we could.
The camping facilities were amazing! Tents and food provided. Eat the food was amazing. Cooked breakfast every morning and dinners to die for.
Our tour leader Shingi was the most enthusiastic person I have ever met and is really knowledgeable, helpful and flexible. (We love you Mama). Our driver Jairos was equally lovely and drove our bus amazingly on the bumpy roads of Africa.
I would definitely recommend this tour for 18-30 year olds and is a must do adventure.

Visited December 2016
3 Thank weesiepie
Hadera, Israel
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Bad Experience !”
Reviewed 1 December 2016

The minibus was uncomfortable, the driver showed little technical knowledge, worn tires, one of which exploded! Any technical assistance from the company. We got stuck 80 km from the target without neither the company nor the driver to give solutions. They know how to take charge, to service a lot less!

Visited November 2016
Sabine_Acacia, Manager at Acacia Africa - Day Tours, responded to this review, 8 December 2016
Dear UH615

We welcome feedback from customers who have travelled with us, and take what is said very seriously, acting to put things right where we can. Yes, one of our tours last week did have a problem for which we are truly sorry. A tyre blew out and we had an engine cooling system problem. It wasn’t actually the result of poor preparation - vehicles are checked before each tour and comply with strict roadside regulations in South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana. Regrettably, every so often and regardless of pre-checks, a mechanical problem will occur and when it does it’s frustrating for everyone, most of all to our clients, which is why we work hard to minimise any delay caused. So – last week –despite the problem the trip ran to schedule, all highlights on the itinerary were seen including the usual meals and activities; we dispatched a replacement vehicle and the tour ended in Jo’burg on the scheduled day with no one having any immediate connections or commitments. The tour runs regularly all year round and is one of the best value for money accommodated tours in the market.

Regards
Sabine @Acacia Africa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“14 Best of Southern Africa's Highlights Lodge Safari”
Reviewed 20 October 2016

We are a German family with 3 teenagers and had a wonderful tour through South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana.
Acacia has put together a very exciting trip through these three countries, visiting Kruger NP, Victoria Falls, Chobe NP and Okavango Delta. We were traveling with a small group of German, English and Italian people, all very nice.
We had the perfect tour guide, Simon, who was always very supportive, calm and reliable in all situations. A big, big thank you to Simon.
The lodges were clean and comfortable, we enjoyed the african style and friendly people.
We booked the tour via the agency African Budget Safaris, which also was very good, providing all informations about the tours. Especially the agent Claire Monson helped us a lot, a big thank you.
We really recommend this tour, if you are looking for an adventure trip for the whole family without driving on your own. The National Parks were amazing, we never saw so many wild animals so close in nature, the rangers were very skilled and explained all details.

Visited August 2016