“Everything You Need and Want in a Hotel”

Derwent House Boutique Hotel
Ranked #4 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was impressed with Derwent House before I even step foot in South Africa. As soon as I booked my stay, the team got in touch with me to help prepare for my trip. They provided me with such helpful information, including that I needed to have 2 blank pages in my passport to travel to/from South Africa. (My airline failed to give me that info when I booked and didn't pass that info on until I checked-in for my flight 24 hours before--not helpful) Since I travel a lot, I only had one blank page, so I was able to get a new passport in time. They saved me a lot of money and headache right from the start. Then, from the moment we arrived, we were welcomed into a wonderful environment. We stayed in the Self-Catering apartment and the Fabulous Room. The apartment was spacious and a short walk away, but felt like a true extension of the hotel. It was cleaned everyday, and it was easy to contact the front desk whenever we needed something. They provided us with a smart phone that had internet and was pre-loaded with the reception number. The Fabulous Room was within the hotel and was a beautifully decorated room that overlooked the pool. The service from the Derwent House team was impeccable and was among the best service I've ever received at a hotel. Everyone at the hotel made our trip an unforgettable experience, and if I am ever back in Cape Town, I will stay here again.

Stayed: December 2017
Derwentowners, Owner at Derwent House Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 days ago

Dear Janeen B,

Thanks for your generous review! Thank goodness my pre-arrival passport advice saved your trip! We wouldn't have had the pleasure of getting to know you otherwise. We'd have loved to see more of you during your visit, but have rarely seen visitors who embraced the vibrant Cape Town nightlife like you two . . . just sorry you missed our Christmas brunch!

Your commendation of the service you received is really very much appreciated. Our amazing team work very hard to make guests happy, comfortable and love Cape Town like we do: to hear from you that it was among the best you've ever experienced is truly special. Please do send your friends and family if you're not planning to come back soon!

Many thanks again from all of us at Derwent House,

Anahid & the team

Write a ReviewReviews (1 460)

7 - 11 of 1 460 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We have just returned from 8 nights at Derwent House and miss it already! We stayed here after a week driving the garden route and were looking forward to staying in one place for the week. We couldn’t have picked a better hotel - Derwent House is out of this world and if you are thinking of booking just do it!

From the moment we arrived (late on Christmas eve) the staff could not do more for you. We hadn’t eaten and X offered to pick up some food for us. How lovely! Christmas Day morning was then really special, Anahid, Armin and the whole team made the morning feel as if we were at home! Crackers, chocolates and presents greeted us on the table and we were offered champagne to accompany a delicious breakfast.

Every single person working at Derwent House was amazing, they would always ask what your plans are for the day, what dinner reservations did you have (we were surprised you needed to book almost everywhere in CT, but again they will help you with this) and welcome you back in after you had been out for the day/evening.

Location was perfect for us, it’s a 5 min walk away from Kloof Street and you can walk Downtown in about 20 minutes. Everywhere else we took uber which works amazingly, we never had any trouble with availability etc and is very reasonable. Saying that, we would perhaps think about hiring a car next time. This would make trips out to Simons Town, and beaches at Muzinberg, Llandudno etc a little easier.

Our room was not huge, as some other reviews have mentioned but we were hardly in there! Turndown service was a really nice touch with information on sunrise and sunset times for the next day and some recommended activities - again shows that Derwent House really do think of everything! The hotel is decorated beautifully and there are lots of quirky pieces on the walls and in the lounge area. The pool area was great, most of the time during our stay it was empty so you can enjoy all to yourself!

We are usually quite fussy reviewers but honestly we have racked our brains for one thing Derwent House could do to improve and can’t think of anything!!! Thank you for such an amazing trip, we will be back :-)

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank holsthomas0000

Thank you so much, holsthomas0000 -- we miss the two of you too!! Such a glowing accolade from discerning (and "fussy") travellers such as yourselves is incredibly motivating for the whole team: we cannot thank you enough for your wonderful feedback.

It was really such fun to host you for your Cape Town visit (if hard to keep up with you two)! I'm so pleased that our Christmas celebration made you happy . . . we know it's not always easy to be away from family on special holidays like this, so do our best to make Derwent House feel like home. Rave especially loved all your attention! We're always trying to think of what could possibly make our guests more comfortable, so really do appreciate feedback like yours' -- I'm delighted that the little touches made a difference.

As for location, you're right: our address is hard to beat if you're visiting Cape Town -- right in the heart of everything, yet an oasis on a quiet residential street in one on the city's most vibrant neighbourhoods. Especially if, like you two, you are foodies. We're so pleased that our dining tips and bookings worked.

Thank you for being amazing guests! It was great getting to know you and we'll be waiting for your next visit -- with lots of new tips, improvements and advice!

All the very best from all of us (especially Rave),

Anahid & Armin

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I could write for hours about how absolutely perfect Derwent House is. From my initial booking, which was immediately followed up with a welcome helpful email, to another email shortly prior to our stay, where again it became apparent, nothing is too much trouble for the staff at Derwent House.

Upon arrival, we were taken on a short tour of the property, giving a helpful overview of everything we’d need to know, and then shown our room, where we’d received a complimentary upgrade to a suite. I can’t comment on the rooms but our suite was incredible - bedroom, modern bathroom, kitchen area, gorgeous lounge and big balcony. Similarly, the communal areas (pool, dining, lounge) are all wonderful - it feels like so much thought and care has gone into every aspect of the hotel.

Breakfast was wonderful (the freshest buffet and a choice of hot items, including the best omelette I’ve ever had), there are complimentary tea/coffee, biscuits, afternoon cakes and an honesty bar full of a fantastic range of local beers and wines.

On top of all this, it is the staff who are the absolute icing on the cake of this incredible property - they’ll do everything that can to make your stay a perfect one and everyone was so friendly, making conversation as if we were old friends, even as we headed out at 6am for another run up Table Mountain!

The hotel has a wonderful location, just a one mile walk (or run!) up to the lower car park of Table Mountain, and is just off Kloof Street, which is home to umpteen fantastic restaurants.

We stayed for 5 nights and just wish we could have stayed longer, but we shall return to Derwent House for sure!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Derwentowners, Owner at Derwent House Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

SazzleRuns, you are most welcome back at Derwent House -- any time! We're just thrilled that you enjoyed your stay so much and took the time to share your experience with other travelers in this forum. What an accolade. Words fail me, but extra-special thanks for your shout-out on our fabulous team: they're over the moon that the "Road-runners" appreciated their warmth so much. It's huge.

You're right: we've put a lot of heart and soul into trying to get both big and small things right so guests feel comfortable and at home here. So it's incredibly gratifying to hear back that it worked for you.

Come back next time for longer as promised and I guarantee you some new surprises next time. We'll be waiting for you!

Thanks again so much for your generous words.

On behalf of the team,

Anahid

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Our short two night stay was wonderful in this very clean, modern, fashionable boutique hotel which is located in the outskirts of the city near good restaurants and bars.

The breakfasts were excellent after comfortable nights sleep in a double room which was a little on the small side.

What made our stay stand out above the rest was the staff. Everyone working at the hotel were extremely friendly and helpful in what felt like a natural and sincere way. They were always happy to spend time with you.

The two local restaurants that were reserved for us (despite one being fully booked when I phoned) were both excellent . The homely Miller's Thumb serves great fish dishes with good wine and superb informal service. The busy modern style Black Sheep is very good for game cooked to perfection and very good service.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

If you`ve never felt the warm embrace of complete strangers who instantly make you feel like family, you need to visit Derwent House in Cape Town. As a solo traveler, holidays can feel lonely on the road. But never have I enjoyed such warm, hospitable Christmas spirit as I did in this wonderful little boutique hotel in the heart of Cape Town. Beautiful holiday tables set with goodies, crackers and all the trimmings greeted us at breakfast, as did the charming,smiling, cheerful and amazingly friendly team and owners, Anahid & Armin ( who would all presumably have rather been spending the holiday at home with their families! ) and tail-wagging dog, Rave.

Christmas morning was extra special, but I´ve been coddled, pampered and yes, loved, from the moment I checked in. Every member of the team befriends you, takes the time to find out what your interests are and then helps you realise them - whether reserving an impossible-to-book restaurant you´ve been trying for months, planning your entire itinerary, booking your next stop for you or just knowing that you really love your sundowner G&T by the pool and serving it to you with asking... Have not experienced such amazingly personal service before.

On the prosaic side: rooms are compact, but supremely comfortable with beautiful high-count linen, the most comfortable bed I`ve ever slept in, choice of pillows and an intricate mood-setting turndown service that includes soft music, candles, slippers, chilled water and traditional chocolate - and best-of-all: a cuddly rhino toy that you can purchase to take home in support of the hotel´s rhino conservation initiatives. The spacious public areas are warm, colourful, with an eclectic range of local art and handicraft: the perfect place to sitdown with a cup of tea and cake and meet your fellow travellers , work on your blog, or just read a book in the comfy lounge.

This, the mouth-watering home-baked afternoon tea cakes and pastries, the frisbee, Sun lotion and frozen water in the beach bag they lend you for the day, the astonishing free-of-charge ( !! ) smartphone that`s yours for the duration of your stay to book Ubers, call home or use Google Maps on while you`re out and about - these are all the things that make this place completely unique.

But it always comes back to the people: the staff are not just competent and professional, but charming, friendly and welcoming beyond belief. Thank you, everyone, for a most wonderful stay. I`ll definitely be back soon !

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
Derwentowners, Owner at Derwent House Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Wow, SMG-Girl -- thank you for taking the time and trouble to post such a detailed, comprehensive, and altogether wonderful!! review. The whole team (especially those on duty Christmas morning) are incredibly appreciative of your kind words and generosity: I'm so pleased that we made you feel at home and part of the Derwent "family" on this special day.

We're really chuffed however that you enjoyed the overall experience. We put a lot of thought into what small things we can offer guests to make their stay more comfortable and it seems that you noticed and appreciated most of them!

It's really a pleasure to help independent travellers such as yourself with travel tips and arrangements in advance of your arrival. This beautiful city and country as a whole have so much to offer--we consider it part of our mission to make sure you love it as much as we do by doing it the right way . . . (and yes, food is our passion, but the Chef's Warehouse opening was also a bit of good luck ). And so glad you made good use of the handy for calling home on Christmas eve!

Everybody sends you warm greetings and best wishes -- but especially Rave, who is your biggest fan and misses your ball-throwing endurance . . . We're looking forward to your next visit -- booked and confirmed for you!

From all of us at Derwent House,

Cape Heritage Hotel
Cape Heritage Hotel
#10 of 112 in Cape Town Central
1 336 reviews

Been to Derwent House Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!