“Klein Maar Fijn!”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 23 December 2017 via mobile

All my mates who’ve been to CPT were raving about this place and I agree with them wholeheartedly.

Because I didn’t have any lunch i went in at 1630 right as they opened so pretty much had the place to myself for a little bit to take in all of it.

The service crew is a well oiled machine and the proximity to the kitchen means you’ll hear how they communicate as well. Dishes come out like clockwork.

I sampled the Vietnamese oysters first. These guys are perfect. Meaty but with a very smooth consistency, not bity. And huge ! I loved the sesame oil based sauce served on the side. The texture of the sliced seaweed and brunoise cucumber really dance together.

My next dish should on paper be my fav since I love tuna tartare but I found this one too salty to be perfect. The salt taste (soy? nuoc mam?) drowned out most other flavors in the bowl.

The yellow tail sashimi with coco nut was superb. Freshest fish, subtle flavors. Bit of a bite to it as well, yummy!

I really enjoyed the food and even the minimalist no-nonsense, pure approach of the place. I can see why they tend to pack out during the evenings and I witnessed many attempts by locals to ‘arrange’ something with the waiting crew having to resist these in a nice way (they did)

Definitely put this on your CPT places to visit list !

Write a ReviewReviews (1 124)

89 - 93 of 1 124 reviews

Reviewed 22 December 2017

A small restaurant with limited seating but well worth the visit.
Here you get a 4 or 5 course meal paired with different wines.
The choices are excellently prepared by Masterchef Liam Tomlin who owns the restaurant with his wife.
Anything required in a chef's kitchen is also for sale here.
Well worth the visit.

If you're waiting for tour table, just go outside in their cave like canteen and have a drink there. Wine selections are very good.

Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

Impromptu lunch at Chefs Warehouse & Canteen, Bree St on Tuesday was a cut above. 8 course tasting menu for 2, R350 each (c£20), proved outstanding value. Sublime Asian fusion, thoughtful wine list, accomplished cooking, slick service. Won't forget the Yellowtail ceviche in a hurry. Clever boy that Liam. Loved every minute.

Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

You cannot have a visit to Cape Town and not include this place. Liam Tomlin is an incredibly talented chef, and a master a bringing out the best of each ingredient .

Reviewed 21 December 2017

With much anticipation we arrived at CW for a special lunch yesterday. No reservation and they start serving at 12 so I was there at 11.56. I asked the staff member in charge if I could have a table (communal benches) for 3 and she glared at me and told me they are no open yet and could I move to the shop area and wait. Such attitude. Anyhow, after a bit of a rough start, 3 of us shared plate after plate of delectable tapas, great flavours and the service (from other staff) was excellent. Good wine selection too. standout dish - curried yellowtail 'cape malay style, stand out wine Paul Roos White blend. Pricey but well worth it.