“Great service, good food, a bit pricey”
Review of Mexican on Long

Mexican on Long
Ranked #405 of 1 294 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Price range: US$1 - US$2
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 September 2015

We went to Mexican on Long for dinner. First appearances as we walked in were not great, but it was much nicer upstairs where the tables are. Our waiter/host was AMAZING from beginning to end: highly attentive and a laugh a minute. The food also arrived in record time.

What I liked:
- The range of tequila on offer (sadly couldn't try any)
- I had the duck burrito which was very tasty and my husband enjoyed his chicken quesadilla
- The strawberry margarita was made with fresh strawberry juice but was not frozen (it looked like the jugs were though)
- My second cocktail was the one with cucumber, basil, tequila and lemonade (I forget the name). It was AMAZING.
- The chilli poppers were very hot (we were warned) but to a good standard. I'd have them again on a milder day :P

What I didn't like
- It was pretty expensive, especially compared to our regular Mexican restaurant.

If it wasn't for our great waiter, I probably would have given the place a lower rating. The food IS decent but I think their prices are targeting the tourist crowd, which is perfectly acceptable for the location.

Reviewed 19 August 2015

I saw mexican and thought great ive been in south america and really enjoy the food and flavours, but the mexican in long street is a big disappointment, I walked into big and dark and empty place there is nothing representing the Spanish exçept for a few burnt in emblems wbich r more aztec on the tables, I ordered nachos and they brought me a few old chips in a prisoners steel chipped plate that I wouldn't feed my dog out of, with a very waterish salsa, sliced bottled jalapeños lol and it was way over priced the whole menu is expensive and the chef has no clue how to cook. Only plus the staff are freindly and helpful. It was a punishment to eat there. I think they base there whoke mexican theme on the fact that they stock tequila.

1  Thank ladyvee2015
Reviewed 15 August 2015 via mobile

We opted to have lunch here last week and were very surprised. Our waiter was so attentive. The food was delicious and the portion was very generous. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed 12 August 2015 via mobile

Wow I was blown away with the taste of the chefs platter everything on the plate tasted so good and I kept licking my hands and couldn't help but comment over and over to the waiter now good the food is.

1  Thank Jesse O
Reviewed 30 July 2015

Four of my friends and I went to Mexican on Long. It was amazing. We had the Chef Platter and had so much fun sharing the platter and just socializing. The service was excellent. Have not had such good service in a while. And the food was amazing. The vibe is so chilled, with the music just perfect. Not too load that you can not have a conversation. Just perfect. And the place is spacious, which is rare for Cape Town. We did not have to listen to other tables conversations. It was just an awesome night at an awesome restaurant.

1  Thank LelaniBezuidenhout