See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 November 2017

From the moment we walked in I was impressed by the setup and staff. Jess was fantastic, so helpful and friendly at all times. The room was neat and well presented with all we needed. The building is beautiful and well maintained. True character remains in this builidng and the bedroom. All the staff we encountered were professional and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Michelle L
MJWhitehead, Owner at Mountain Manor Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2018

Dear Michelle

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review and thanks for the praises being sung for the staff. It is always lovely when someone takes time out to bless someone for their kindness - THANK YOU.

Reviewed 9 November 2017

After a terrible experience elsewhere, we last minute, 11:45pm last minute, booked this accommodation and were able to check in. The rooms were a little outdated but very neat and tidy, had all the amenities. Staff were friendly, very pleasant experience :)

Room Tip: surroundings looked lovely, try and check in as early as possible to enjoy it
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Stephanie

Thank you for taking the time to write a review - our heritage furniture is VERY outdated and some of it dates back to 1800 and 1900's when the house was built - it is however newly cleaned and renovated so that it remains functional and adds to the character of the house.

We look forward to hosting you again should you visit Cape Town.

Reviewed 7 November 2017

My best room at the guest house is room 8 its sunny and very quiet ,its open and the beds are just calling for you to do nothing but relax its like you're in your own world. with a spacious bath room and a flat screen tv

Room Tip: it is best to the ask which one is the best room or go online choose a room your self or tell the reception what type of room you need
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends

Dear Iris

THANK YOU for taking the time to write a review and we look forward to having you come and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 2 November 2017 via mobile

Mountain Manor was a pure delight! I was recommended to stay here there by a friend of mine who often stays at Mountain Manor, and it was just perfect. I came to Cape Town to see Cape Town and it the perfect location for that. With views of Mountain Manor, a 10 minute into the center of Town, 10 minutes to Lions Head and just over the mountain to the beautiful beaches. You feel like you’re transported back in time- a colonial experience with a beautiful African feel. The staff were lovely, and I was made to feel right at home. A property you would not to find so close to Town! Thank you Mountain Manor, I’ll be back!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
MJWhitehead, Owner at Mountain Manor Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2017

Hi Jessica

It was fabulous to host such a positive, lively person.
We look forward to welcoming you back - you energized us all!!

Kindest regards
Michelle

Reviewed 17 August 2017

We stayed at Manountain Manor in July 2017 for several nights. On the 3rd day, we realised that approx 400 euros had been taken from my bag which I left in the room whilst we were having breakfast. We also discovered that 80 euros hidden deep in our suitcase had also been taken. We contacted the owner and she advised us to make a police report which we did. She also told us that she had a security camera on the entrance to our rooms and that she had checked it and noone went in or out of our room during the time in question. However, the police asked to see her security cameras and the camera in question was not functioning. This was therefore a direct lie.
There were only 3 members of staff at the hotel and everyone, including the police, knew that the theft must have been carried out by one/all of them.
The owner told us she would carry out a disciplinary but then texted us about our "supposed losses" in an agressive way. She was not insured for staff theft.
We also saw on TA that another guest had undergone the same treatment following a theft earlier in the year.
This was our 4th trip to South Africa and our first such problem - and also our first encounter with such a hotelier. Such a pity. We are currently in the process of submitting an insurance claim to the owner but with little hope.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
MJWhitehead, Owner at Mountain Manor Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2017

Dear Michele and David

As you have now made this a public matter - I am forced to answer in a public forum.

I don't know where you got that our camera's were not functioning - they were and still are. The footage was given to the Police when they finally came to inspect (which took over three weeks) and it quite clearly showed the staff going about their morning duties, as well as your son entering the house prior to the family returning.
Insurance companies do not cover cash. They cover loss of "assets/items" - never cash. You were also not sure as to where or when you had lost the money. You quite clearly told me that you sat down and deduced "that it must have been when you were at breakfast" as you were quite sure that you hadn't spent all of it. That creates a few "grey areas" as you have accused my staff without been 110% sure. There are also 2 safes in your apartment - one in each bedroom. which you tell me I didn't tell you about. They are clearly visible. As a well traveled person, I am sure that you know that you NEVER leave cash or valuable items lying around - anywhere. We also have a room directory in each room telling you to lock valuables away. Yet, you chose to ignore all warnings. Two of the staff that had entered the house that morning to do their chores - were immediately suspended, pending investigation. I flew down my HR expert to deal with this case and both staff members were investigated with no positive outcomes. The cameras only show entrance into the house - and not into rooms so once again a grey area.
I'm very sorry that you experienced a theft - I'm also very sorry that you do not 110% know that it was from within your suitcase or handbag - and that you presume it to have been from my staff.
I hope you realize the repercussions of such claims - two staff are sitting without jobs and food for their children- they have been with me flawlessly for over a year and felt they couldn't stay because of the mistrust thrown on them - Mountain Manor's name, with a track record of 21 years on integrity in business, has been pulled into the mud.
I'm very sad (certainly not aggressive) that you have chosen to make this public and that nothing could have "fixed this for you.